Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

MeatEater 206

bushman13

Rinella likes to take friendly jabs at Janis by re-visiting the question of "is Janis a true outdoors-man?"
After watching this latest season of Meateater and Janis's very careful and thought out approach to turkey hunting with newbs, I was prepared to say absolutely he is.

Listening to the recent MeatEater 206, I may have to change my mind. They were discussing outdoor myths basically and Janis has never smelled a "gut fart" or read a Farmers Almanac. As a person that grew up in deer camps that were also in hog country, gut farts are as real as anything. Another topic was rutting bucks and the taste of the meat. This is a no brainier as you can smell the buck laying there and many times that flavor is represented in the table fare.

Gut farts: Can you smell a gut pile in a subsequent fart?
Farmers Almanac: Are they voodoo?
Rutting bucks: do they taste different?

Gut fart: can't say that I have smelled it. However I think I have smelled more putrid versions of flagellation's
Farmers Almanac: I have thumbed through a couple in my 43 years, though never owned one, and haven't read one cover to cover.
Rutting bucks: I have had both. I have bucks that you can smell and yet it didnt permeate to the meat and I have have a couple that did. A January New Mexcico mule deer buck and Colorado antelope. Both the meat absolutely had the same stench after it was processed.

gut fart: indeed happens almost every time

farmers almanac: heard of them:unsure:

rutting bucks: only antelope but I think they taste like they smell either way

Gut fart: I don't know, a horse kicked me in the face and I had to have it surgically rebuilt so my nose doesn't always smell like it should.

Farmers almanac: Voodoo indeed

Rutting bucks: Never paid attention to how they taste compared to non rutting bucks

His basis of the statement is: Janis ski's

His assertion is: a skier cannot be a hunter. I kinda agree if we are only talking recreational skiing.
It's funny how he doesn't bring this up to Cal, who also skis.

I guess I don't know any hunters then, and I certainly am not one, if recreational skiing is an eliminating factor.

I'm guessing he is saying that if you have time to ski, you have time to scout or hunt. I agree with that.
I would add an extra layer on to that. The personalities are polar opposites. Generally speaking, a skier likes to be seen and a hunter likes to be the watcher. I find this consistent with people I am meeting who ski or hunt.

It's funny how he doesn't bring this up to Cal, who also skis.

I guess I don't know any hunters then, and I certainly am not one, if recreational skiing is an eliminating factor.

Your honor I would argue that the only true outdoorsmen and women are skiers or riders, and that Steve is just showing his insecurity at moving to a mountain town and not being good at a ubiquitous winter sport.

Exhibit A: Mr. David Wise, Olympic gold medalist and hunter
1580932117424.png

Exhibit B: Ms.Tatum Monod Big Mountain Skier, Angler, and Hunter
1580932280362.png1580932391745.png

Exhibit C: The Treadway Brothers (RIP Dave)

Exhibit D: Ian Cosco aka Chug Life, Pro skier, Bush Pilot, hunter

1580933204128.png1580933500363.png

Exhibit E: John Spriggs

1580933638399.png1580933674918.png

Exhibit F: Tanner Coulter, sheep guide
1580933953610.png

... I rest my case.

none of us are true outdoorsman

we all play outside one way or another, some are better at it than others - with emphasis on the word play

we all come home to a comfy couch, crack a beer (or a white claw), and take a nap before processing our animals in clean kitchens (or garages or sheds) with expensive knives, or for the majority, picking it up in a month from the processor

the true outdoorsman are the 1 percenters whose lives we romanticize but might not actually want to live. even they end up spending their free time on a beach in hawaii (e.g. buck bowden)

and yeah, i think rinella realizes this. he just likes to ruffle feathers, and janis is obviously is his favorite target. that is probably more indicative of their close friendship than anything else. whether on purpose or not, his polarizing comments generate eyeballs and ears for his brand one way or another and create engagement. opinionated people are often the most interesting.

I don't think Steve is that impressive a writer, his recipes by his own admission are ripped from chefs with game added in to where domestic animals were and he doesn't come across as an all too good hunter. He certainly surrounds himself with good hunters though. In the last couple of seasons i remember he tried to stalk a bedded mule deer buck from below. I'd like to think my 13 year old sister would be smart enough to not do that especially in that situation.

I think he got his fame for the same reason I initially enjoyed his stuff. It was a breath of fresh air to have a show about hunting that was about food and hunting and not a shameless trophy hunting show cramming advertisements down your throat.
I don't know if the fame has got to his head or he's blinded by the money but none of what I liked about him originally is really there anymore. The latest rushed half season of meateater, his insufferable podcasts, the fact they sell their own whiskey.

I don't know a lot about America but I know about my own country enough to know that just about anytime he mentions Australia what comes out of his mouth is incorrect. When he last year on a podcast called the world famous conservationist/hunter Jim Corbett an American (he actually didn't even get his name right), I realised how uncultured and ignorant he really is.

So take anything he says with a grain of salt is my suggestion. But then again maybe I'm completely wrong, I don't consider myself infallible that's for sure.

I don't think Steve is that impressive a writer, his recipes by his own admission are ripped from chefs with game added in to where domestic animals were and he doesn't come across as an all too good hunter. He certainly surrounds himself with good hunters though. In the last couple of seasons i remember he tried to stalk a bedded mule deer buck from below. I'd like to think my 13 year old sister would be smart enough to not do that especially in that situation.

I think he got his fame for the same reason I initially enjoyed his stuff. It was a breath of fresh air to have a show about hunting that was about food and hunting and not a shameless trophy hunting show cramming advertisements down your throat.
I don't know if the fame has got to his head or he's blinded by the money but none of what I liked about him originally is really there anymore. The latest rushed half season of meateater, his insufferable podcasts, the fact they sell their own whiskey.

I don't know a lot about America but I know about my own country enough to know that just about anytime he mentions Australia what comes out of his mouth is incorrect. When he last year on a podcast called the world famous conservationist/hunter Jim Corbett an American (he actually didn't even get his name right), I realised how uncultured and ignorant he really is.

So take anything he says with a grain of salt is my suggestion. But then again maybe I'm completely wrong, I don't consider myself infallible that's for sure.

I wasn't going to address this thread because it's mostly just for fun, but I disagree on the above. I really enjoyed "Meat Eater: Adventures from the Life of an American Hunter" along with "American Buffalo" and "The Scavengers Guide to Haute Cuisine". Totally my opinion of course, but I think his writing is refreshing and not nearly as pretentious as he can appear to be on the podcast. I never got the impression that he was presenting himself or his history as anything other than what he genuinely is. To that point, I really appreciated how, in a recent podcast, he talked about how different "scouting" is for him compared to average guy due to all of his connections.

Simply outliers! :LOL:

Any group has them.

I would argue the vast majority headed up on the weekend are cubicle dwellers without much outdoor knowledge, except how to order an IPA on the patio 🤪

I do agree though, it is most likely his insecurities around the sport. Read between the lines and you will see my loathing for "scenesters" as well. In no fashion do I include the below people in the previous statement. They are the opposite of scenesters.

Your honor I would argue that the only true outdoorsmen and women are skiers or riders, and that Steve is just showing his insecurity at moving to a mountain town and not being good at a ubiquitous winter sport.

Exhibit A: Mr. David Wise, Olympic gold medalist and hunter
View attachment 127520

Exhibit B: Ms.Tatum Monod Big Mountain Skier, Angler, and Hunter
View attachment 127521View attachment 127523

Exhibit C: The Treadway Brothers (RIP Dave)

Exhibit D: Ian Cosco aka Chug Life, Pro skier, Bush Pilot, hunter

View attachment 127524View attachment 127525

Exhibit E: John Spriggs

View attachment 127526View attachment 127527

Exhibit F: Tanner Coulter, sheep guide
View attachment 127528

... I rest my case.

I find him a slightly above average writer but one who writes about interesting topics. As refreshing as it is to see something other than "The Bucks Of Tecomate" representing hunting I can't get invested in his shows or podcasts. Then again, there's a reason I like Randy's YouTube videos over his Amazon shows and Nebraska vs. Born to Run.

Gut farts are real in the sense that we've experienced this phenomena subjectively. I work in healthcare and I'll swear my dumps smell like a stinky patient I saw earlier in the day but it's just the association. The doctor he interviewed explained this pretty well.

I've always believed the gulped air theory. If farts are indeed gulped air along with bodily gases, then why couldn't the molecules still exist on the way out?
X2 when you factor in the general looseness of a cheap beer drinkers respiratory and digestive systems.

Gut farts are real in the sense that we've experienced this phenomena subjectively. I work in healthcare and I'll swear my dumps smell like a stinky patient I saw earlier in the day but it's just the association. The doctor he interviewed explained this pretty well.

Back