MeatEater 206

Podcasts: never listened to one. But I have been a part of hundreds at deer camp, turkey camp, fishing camp, and elk camp. They just never been produced.

If I could choose when to be born it would of been in that era and I would of been one and loved every second of it!

For me it's always been a toss up between that or in africa at the turn of the 20th century, or india during the turn of the 20th century. Personally I'd have been born in British India out of them all, hunting a plethora of birds and deer along with tiger, leopard, bear, gaur and elephant. Man that's the stuff dreams are made of.

For me it's always been a toss up between that or in africa at the turn of the 20th century, or india during the turn of the 20th century. Personally I'd have been born in British India out of them all, hunting a plethora of birds and deer along with tiger, leopard, bear, gaur and elephant. Man that's the stuff dreams are made of.

I mean I would love to have been born super rich in the current era... same hunting opportunity + malaria drugs ;)

The person you are thinking of in Africa or India in that era, adjust for inflation had Trump Jr. wealth or better.

I mean I would love to have been born super rich in the current era... same hunting opportunity + malaria drugs ;)

The person you are thinking of in Africa or India in that era, adjust for inflation had Trump Jr. wealth or better.

That's not entirely true, Jim Corbett was from a very modest family and in point of fact never became very wealthy. There were the expensive shikars but there was also what we would call public land hunting back then.

I don't reckon Jim Corbett at 10 years of age with his borrowed army cadet rifle solo hunting and shooting (legally) his first leopard coughed up much coin for the opportunity.

Again in Africa safaris were expensive, but I would have been into the ivory hunting, yeah we know now there were negative effects but back then you would have been oblivious to that. None of those guys had much money, despite the good prices of ivory very few left with much either!

The shikar and safari era's were more into the 20th century. The late 1800s opened up people's eyes to the possibility of it.

That's not entirely true, Jim Corbett was from a very modest family and in point of fact never became very wealthy. There were the expensive shikars but there was also what we would call public land hunting back then.

I don't reckon Jim Corbett at 10 years of age with his borrowed army cadet rifle solo hunting and shooting (legally) his first leopard coughed up much coin for the opportunity.

Again in Africa safaris were expensive, but I would have been into the ivory hunting, yeah we know now there were negative effects but back then you would have been oblivious to that. None of those guys had much money, despite the good prices of ivory very few left with much either!

The shikar and safari era's were more into the 20th century. The late 1800s opened up people's eyes to the possibility of it.

I would imagine that a .450/400 Jeffery at the time cost more than the combined wealth of every villager in the entire Uttarakhand.

Sure perhaps, compared to other white colonials he was "middle class"... but come on... not exactly a normal "Indian".

Disposable income relative to the population... I think I made a fair assessment, throwing cows at tigers left and right, traveling around with a group of porters that cooked for him and set up his camp.

gut farts? Never had them and dont get it, only had them after actually eating game, especially ducks or pheasants
farmers almanac? gimic
rutting buck? just be careful of that tarsal gland
Jani being a sportsman? of course, steve and him are friends and hes just giving him a hard time, seems like people are getting offended by his statement towards skiers...

I still really enjoy what Rinella is producing out there, hes a great spokesman for our hunting and conservation values. Sure, some of the podcasts are not all going to be interviewing biologists.

Need more guys like Randy and Rinella out there.

and I fully admit to loving watching spirit of the wild by nugent back in the 2004 to 2009 era

I think I’ve actually seen it up on a computer in the background of one of Seth’s Instagram stories once....

After 5 min of trying to come up with something witty I'm pulling a mulligan.

I don't have a leg to stand on, on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would imagine that a .450/400 Jeffery at the time cost more than the combined wealth of every villager in the entire Uttarakhand.

Sure perhaps, compared to other white colonials he was "middle class"... but come on... not exactly a normal "Indian".

Disposable income relative to the population... I think I made a fair assessment, throwing cows at tigers left and right, traveling around with a group of porters that cooked for him and set up his camp.

If you haven't already read his non hunting works such as my india and my kumaon (latter is a collective of unpublished work). Lot more about his personal life and at times a view into his financial position is evident.

No doubt towards the end of his life he was doing better financially but for much of his life he was breaking even or a little better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back