Meat birds

No birds, use to raise a handful of steers and couple pigs every year I miss that. Need to find the time/ room again soon with the little guys.

We do 30 for ourselves every year. Our kids love it, my daughter especially. She is a chicken whisperer.

My wife and I each like chickens but apartment life has that out of the option at the moment. We can’t wait to get out of an apartment for chickens and hopefully meat rabbits too. We did chickens growing up, being away from the farm now I miss home raised chicken when I’m stuck eating store bought.

Usually do chickens and turkeys, but I've started getting the turkeys in July since they get to be 35-40 lbs by Thanksgiving if I get them in the spring. Started just getting dark cornish heritage breed for chickens since I'm able to mostly let them free range, they don't grow nearly as fast or big as the crosses, but they're also good for eggs and they don't have the leg and other problems like the crosses.

We got 11 egg layers with 9 more being hatched as I write this. Got 9 more under her. Hopefully get a few more hens. We eat them every 2 years.
Matt
That’s a lot of eggs. We did that for a few year’s but anymore you had to almost give the eggs away as so many people have layers around here that nobody wanted to pay for them

Usually do chickens and turkeys, but I've started getting the turkeys in July since they get to be 35-40 lbs by Thanksgiving if I get them in the spring. Started just getting dark cornish heritage breed for chickens since I'm able to mostly let them free range, they don't grow nearly as fast or big as the crosses, but they're also good for eggs and they don't have the leg and other problems like the crosses.

This was our thought process when ordering meat birds. We ordered 25 RIR roosters we plan to butcher out.

We also ordered some RIR hens to continue with egg production, and some silver spangled hamburgs as well for fun.

We currently have 18 laying hens.

Also 10 runner ducks coming in June to add to our 5.

This was our thought process when ordering meat birds. We ordered 25 RIR roosters we plan to butcher out.

We also ordered some RIR hens to continue with egg production, and some silver spangled hamburgs as well for fun.

We currently have 18 laying hens.

Also 10 runner ducks coming in June to add to our 5.
We compared like 5 breeds as dual purpose, got them at the same time, same feed, butchered same time, the dark cornish were the most similar to cornish cross as far as breast formation, the RIR were second best, had some brahmas that are supposed to get big but they needed more time and weren't real big when we butchered (big frame but not filled out). They were pretty cool though, feathered feet and like to lay in the winter.

That’s a lot of eggs. We did that for a few year’s but anymore you had to almost give the eggs away as so many people have layers around here that nobody wanted to pay for them

Not to bad around here for getting rid of them. We always seem to have people ask if we have any extra. Out of 9 layer's we have only 7 laying everyday, 2 want to just sit on eggs and when they do that they don't lay....... we have a lady that will take 4 dozen a week if we have them, right now we can only do 2 dozen a week for her. But at $5/dz that gives us some vacation money! update 2 of 9 have hatched.
Matt

i do the cornish meat birds, 25 at a time, 5 weeks , old or so butcher, they get so big so fast, i bone out breast, pull leg thighs, out, i can leg thighs,

I got egg layers and am interested to see what future chicks will look like since my rooster male is half meat half egg layer breed. His dad was a meat chicken but way too rough on the hens. When we hatched the first bitties he went from ruling the roost to ruling the gumbo.

Unfortunately I lost all the hens from that group to know how they would’ve done with egg producing while maybe having a decent meat yield.

I found a easier way. I hunting buddy has 3 kids that are in 4H, I talked one of them into raising me Peking ducks this year. Starting with 6 to see how it goes. I also get a few turkeys from them, split a hog and a steer and a handful of chickens. Money well spent

There is a lot of panic buying of chicks due to this pandemic...

This is true. Getting chickens has been a pain for us this year. We have had had chickens for as long as I have been with my wife, and her family had them forever before that.

I like having chickens around, but you have to keep them rotated, and various other mortality factors.

Ducks seem to live forever though.

We were wanting to get a couple pigs this year, but cant find any piglets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back