Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Meat birds

Once I start raising meat birds, I think I'll invest in one of the plucking machines with the rubber fingers that you put the bird in and let it tumble until the bird is plucked.
I've eyeballed those before, I thought they would be handy as all get out back when I hunted ducks and geese religiously.

I've eyeballed those before, I thought they would be handy as all get out back when I hunted ducks and geese religiously.

They work great, with 2 birds in at a time if you scold them properly.

Just out of curiosity, you guys raising meat chickens. What breed are you using? I've read that Cornish Cross broilers are probably best because they grow so fast.
We've only raised egg layers and they are not really good for eating after they are a year old. Another lesson learned. :(

Don’t know if you would consider them meat birds. But back in the day we used to raise quail. They were the cutest things and when their time came, boy did they taste good. D388BBE5-1283-4B9B-85AE-345F7FC379CB.jpeg554D5512-8B93-44AF-A176-1151596EB1E7.jpeg845A8C13-E1E2-44C0-94BF-9A4EA600EB78.jpeg

Just out of curiosity, you guys raising meat chickens. What breed are you using? I've read that Cornish Cross broilers are probably best because they grow so fast.
We've only raised egg layers and they are not really good for eating after they are a year old. Another lesson learned. :(

We are going to try some RIR, which is why he have so many roosters on the order we got yesterday.

My inlaws eat all of the various roosters born on their property from bantam chickens on up. The older birds need to be canned, for things such as salads, sandwiches and casseroles.

We worried that raising the cross birds could pose a problem if we are a bit slow in being able to butcher them. If we just raise roosters from the same breeds we have for layers, then we can butcher a handful at a time over a couple weeks with no rush.

We raise Cornish cross just because they are ready to butcher faster

Back