Maybe we can’t have more hunters

Skiing likewise has had a boom and bust history in the west.

Wildly popular... then had a huge decline, now it's popular again.

Ever year we see pics of 'epic' lines at CO resorts that seem to stretch on forever, yet it was not too long ago that a half dozen of the resorts on this map disappeared.

View attachment 205234

View attachment 205235
That's a cool old mug! I actually used to work with some old school ski bums that worked at Hidden Valley and Berthoud Pass long ago. The reality is that most of those now inoperative ski areas on that map closed down due to lack of snow, rising operation costs, and an inability to compete with the larger ski areas, especially after the Eisenhower/Johnson tunnel was constructed. Not necessarily because skiing became less popular or was in decline at that time. I think you're accurate in drawing parallels between hunting and skiing though. Both seem to be headed in the same direction at the same time for a lot of the same reasons.

That's a cool old mug! I actually used to work with some old school ski bums that worked at Hidden Valley and Berthoud Pass long ago. The reality is that most of those now inoperative ski areas on that map closed down due to lack of snow, rising operation costs, and an inability to compete with the larger ski areas, especially after the Eisenhower/Johnson tunnel was constructed. Not necessarily because skiing became less popular or was in decline at that time. I think you're accurate in drawing parallels between hunting and skiing though. Both seem to be headed in the same direction at the same time for a lot of the same reasons.
My family owned the Hidden Valley concession from the mid 50s' until 76' (we took over from George Hurt, the ski are founder). We dropped the concession because the NPS said a ski area really wasn't compatible with their mission. It really died there, as in 77' they pulled the chairlift.

Berthoud shut down in 02', but at similar issues that Hidden Valley had working the the Forest Service.

I wonder if the pushback from both the NPS and FS which seemed like a good idea at the time wasn't a mistake. Both those areas are used a bunch by backcountry skiers so maybe it evens out. 🤷‍♂️

Definitely a similar parallel to hunting though... lots of articles about overall skier numbers declining, tying it to boomers aging out, but then also noting crowds getting ridiculous. I'm not going to defend or argue that this is the reality just stating it's a parallel conversation.

Relating it to Matt Rinella, I think social media has been a dumpster fire for the sport. This is just anecdotal, but I use to ski A-Basin all the time weekends/ during the week and could drive into the main lot and get a close spot... virtually all season. Starting about 14'-15' this changed and there have been weekends where I had to go to other areas because there literally wasn't a place to park. The real Matt Rinella parallel is that it's not more crowded on the mountain. All the people are at the bar. The new "Thing" to do is go up and take 1 run and then drink and post to social media. The traditional skiers, those that do it for the love of skiing are having their experience destroyed by those who only do it for likes.

Last edited:
My family owned the Hidden Valley concession from the mid 50s' until 76' (we took over from George Hurt, the ski are founder). We dropped the concession because the NPS said a ski area really wasn't compatible with their mission. It really died there, as in 77' they pulled the chairlift.
Very cool! What a piece of Ski History! I bet you and your family know the same people I do very well as they were longtime Ski Patrollers at HV.

Yeah A-Basin was one of the last great ski areas for sure. We used to camp in that upper lot across the highway when it was still allowed. I'm getting bummed out just thinking about it.

Spot on assessment though, one or two runs and then to the lodge or parking lot for Apres beers! Woohoo, good thing they helped clog up traffic for that. Don't forget the backcountry hero who skins halfway up Jones Pass, takes one run and then later posts about what a hardcore backcountry skier he/she is.

Spot on assessment though, one or two runs and then to the lodge or parking lot for Apres beers! Woohoo, good thing they helped clog up traffic for that. Don't forget the backcountry hero who skins halfway up Jones Pass, takes one run and then later posts about what a hardcore backcountry skier he/she is.
:ROFLMAO:...😭

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back