Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Marksmenship qualification test?

Qualification Test!
We have had qualification test here in the east for awhile. I used to be the Game Warden on one of the military Insatllations here in the Washington D.C. area. At first we had no qualification on the base. We had deer running around with shafts sticking out of them! (this base was archery only) We instituted a qualification test and man did we weed out some non shootin People! We let them try and qualify as many times as they wanted as long as a qualification was being held. We had guys (handicapped) that couldn't qualify! The qualification was known distance 20, 25 and 30 yds. At a standard ethafoam broadhead target. You had to put 5 out of six shafts at the various yardages in a pie plate. You wouldn't believe how many people could not hit crap!!!! Now we have it, unknown distance for qual at a 3-D Target. One base here is unknown from a treestand! All with broadheads! If you want to hunt some of the special deer hunts the DNR holds you have to go to a designated shooting range and qualify to hunt! They issue you a proficiency card! It is done by the DNR here, or by volunteers. Oh and you have to pay like 5.00 to shoot! So that pays for the targets! Same for the bases we chrge 10-25.00 dollars to hunt, it pays for targets and whatever else we need to run the program. The proficiency test doesn't make you a better hunter! But, what it does do, is make a person at least learn how the heck there weapon shoots! You guys would not believe how many people buy a weapon and shells and just go hunting! The proficiency test merely forces people to be proficient with there weapons! Another example: I took my first Archery Safety course in 1978. At the end of the class they had a proficiency test. It was not mandatory to get your certificate, but was mandatory if you were hunting public land!

ElkhntinMD

The problem with testing once is "why"? So what if you passed the test at 20 or 30.....now your 70 or 80 so because you once were a great shot but have lost some of it, you can rest on your laurels? That's bullshit. That would be like telling an old bird that is half blind that can't pass the driving test he can still drive because he DID pass the test at 16. Just listen to how stupid that sounds.

I say be careful what you wish for. You may just be cutting your own throat. Like Brokfut said.....are you gonna try and tell a man that fought for his country carrying a rifle, he can't hunt the wildlife of the country he protected, because he has "diminished shooting skills"?

Bad idea guys.....

Oh, and the remark about the hunter's ed shooting......what a joke. I have helped with a few of those courses....and once you paid your money, your in. If you show up, you can't shoot bad enough not to get your card.....

Thanks for the opinions!

I'm not sure about the moving target, but was just relaying the test in Europe. I don't think the test would have to be taken every year, but one in three or five would be a good compromise. If you can pass it with any weapon that means that you at least have a basic understanding how to get your other arms to that same level! I still think it would be a GREAT thing!

DS- That same old bird can be told that he can't drive in the same country he carried a rifle for defending. Which do you think is a bigger loss?

ElkhntinMD,

Glad to see it and it is obvious you've weeded out some of the idiots. DS, I'm not trying to take away anything from anybody that can hunt ethically. I don't claim to have all the answers as to how something like this could or should be implimented.

Maybe I'll feel different when I'm 80, but the way I look at it now is like this. When my skills have deteriated enough so that I can't shoot my weapon well enough to confidently take an animal cleanly, I'll not carry that weapon any longer. I'll just listen to buglin bulls and talk to my boys, or grandchildren about their huns. Like I said, JMO.

By the way, the hunter education classes and Bowhunter education classes have shooting as the last thing to do at the end of the course. What would be so wrong telling those people that they need to show some manner of efficiency with their weapon prior to actually being given a liscence to hunt. Pass the class and all, and keep practicing until you can pass the test. I don't see this as an intrusion of anybody's privileges.

Bullhound.......my grandfather is probably the most "ethical" person I know......just isn't as efficient as he once was with a rifle. I do hope for his sake that you never get your way.....that would truely be sad to deny him the opportunity to pursue that which he loves and lives for, just becuase he doesn't meet your standard.....

Pointer....he HAS lost his license.and to answer your question, that was not nearly as bad to him as being told he's too old and ineffecient to hunt. He could be considered a liability on the highway, with human lives at stake.......but he is not much threat in the woods, ...to humans or wildlife.......but his lifelong committment to our country and our sport has earned him that much.......and I hope to God that you and Bullhound don't get your way.....it probably would kill him,..... no shit.

DS,

Hey bud, don't get too carried away with this. I'm not trying to start a frigin movement for craps sake. And I'm surely not trying to kill the old bird.

Do you really feel that just because somebody passes some written test, they should be given free reign in the woods to fling sticks or lead? It has been shown that testing does at least eliminate some of the people that you and I do not want to ever run into in the woods. I think you have to admit that, at least. What is wrong with asking newbies and youngsters to prove they can shoot reliably before shooting at the real thing?

How the hell did some of you guys learn? Do we have that many people out there that don't know anything at all about ethical hunting? WTF happened that "hunters" left their brains at home, that they are so wrapped in scoring the big one they'll do anything? Boy, if hunting has turned into this bs, then no wonder why so many people want to outlaw it.

1P== my point was by the time the qualifications are that tight there will not be many public hunting left, just a few areas that are so controlled that just those that qualify will be able to shoot there. The rest of the areas will be poached down, the nonqualifiers will say f*ckit and do without.

So now we are talking about newbies and youngsters?......do us "good ol' boys just get "grandfathered in?"....gramps will be glad to hear this news!!!!

Ten Bears, We are tryingto recruit hunters but not a bunch of people with guns that don't know how to shoot them.. HEll Even DS thats against it tells us about all the Game that gets Wounded by guns...

DS... I don't want to take Away Gramp's writes as a guy that wants to go into the woods...But heavins Sake, If I'm that old and Can't shoot like you imply by "That poor ol' bird couldn't hit the broadside of a barn," then I sure don't want him Flinging Lead in my direction. But for heavins sake, Let him come anyways without a loaded weapon
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I also Know alot of game lots with the bow as well as the rifle... I think there sould be a test for both !!!!

DS, you also said "better step back and look at this one real hard....you'll be 80 one day.....eye hand coordination may not be what it once was....." HELL do you want me out shooting with you if I can't hit shit ?

I'm not talking about making a HARD test, Hell, Tell the bow people that the yardage is 20 yards, and they need to hit 3 or 5 arrows into a Plate, How fuggin hard is that !!! And do the same with a gun.... I'm not talknig about running, And passing a physical test and then trying to shoot like they do in the Olympics !!!

HAve you ever gone to the range either gun or bow the week .. HELL.. Even a day before the season.... See how well people shoot !! HAHA !! Fugin Joke !!!!

Also. I think the Only one that would be put out is the People that wouldn't pass ........

I think Drivers should take more tests too... HELL DS, talking about Gramps, How is his Driving ?!??!
eek.gif

Don't get me wrong, but a lot of things some of us jump on board and are wild about just happen to have ill efffects that none of us wanted or even dreamed would happen. Just a for instance.... the Mcain campaign reform bs... did you know it makes it a felony if a member of congress has their name on a political invite? I don't think any of the congressmen who voted for it know it either. Be real careful what kind of change you're pushing, it just might push you out too.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Be real careful what kind of change you're pushing, it just might push you out too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Exactly.

I'm not against some kinda test, but I'm not even gonna wager on the logistics of implementing it. How would it work for nonresidents, especially if they don't have the same program in there state?

If we're gonna test, it should be every year. Can't say just because a guy "once could shoot" means he still can. If you have to be dead-eye to take to the field, then it needs to be an annual test. Hell, half this board may be sitting at home next year!
eek.gif
...... And let's go ahead and make spelling be part of the test!
wink.gif
......goddamit, if you can't spell, you ain't got no business carrying a firearm!heheehhe, now that would make it real interesting.
tongue.gif
hump.gif
.......now, here is the "bonus" rule.......anyone who has ever made a bad shot or wounded an animal should forego the test and hang up the gun or bow.....we can't have that shit occurring. We want only the best skilled marksman available to be allowed to hunt.
I think we should run with this plan and get it crammed through before this fall!

Moosie, I have hunted with gramps, and your safe,..he only shoots at animals.....
rolleyes.gif
...but he'll be delighted to know you guys want him tested before he heads out this fall..hahahaha.....ain't gonna happen. Me and gramps are gonna be slinging lead wether you guys "approve" or not!
hump.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-04-2003 13:06: Message edited by: Deerslayer ]</font>

Well I tell you what, If a law was passed that I needed to Spell I would sure do "MORE better" spelling
tongue.gif

BUt, that argument is as Dumb as the posts at yoopers site..

Spelling doesn't have anything to do with hunting, But Shooting.. Well, that is a big part ... Am I wrong ?

Hell yea, and make sure the test includes map reading, property boundaries, surveying, and reading comprehension skills. NO TRESPASSING, KEEP OUT, PAY HERE. Make it like the SAT and ACT tests, have someone to make a ton of money outa this deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back