Market Hobby: Stock, ETF, Options, Forex

Sytes

For any interested in learning and (or) working the Stock, Options, ETF's, Forex, etc and either;

1.) Have spare independent funds, usually min $2500.
Or
2.) Learn via "Paper Trading" (Free).

The majority of online platforms are not charging transaction fees (Thanks Schwab). There are bare bones, base fees for options trading though negligible. Of course, the Paper Trading has no fee.

Anyhow - a great, multi educational resource platform that offers Paper Trading and real time trading is TDAmeritrade. I've been with other platforms though Ameritrade has a great staff available 24/7 as well. I've called them @ 0330 on one occasion.

If you're curious - try the Paper Trading to get your feet wet. And beware it is an intriguing challenge! I've lost and gained from the Hard Knox University. I'm ahead though it's had it's ouch moments along the way. If you do work real $, please be sure it's $ that will not adversely affect your own budget. :) I figure if you're responsible that goes w/o saying and if you're not... We'll, this paragraph may have been for little/no use.

It's a blast! Been doing this for 10 years... As a fun hobby.

Last edited:
Hobby fun playing the following for today.

Screenshot_20200204-095551.png

The three here are basically following the current market trend.
The three listed are set for earnings release aftermarket today.

Zacks has reasonable reviews
Earnings Whispers has good evaluations
Short Squeeze shares the short activity

They all have memberships though the base info from each w/o membership is very valuable when assessing the big picture for market play activity. Zacks and Earnings Whispers have their portfolios of Stocks so it's not always, "objective" information, have to keep that in mind however, looking at raw #'s can give quality feelers for which direction a company may go, come earnings info.

If one really enjoys, the earnings conference calls are epic! Very enjoyable listening to the large holders ask questions of the CE,F,OO's of companies.

Anyhow, in the above plays... Market is hot today and close to the reflective stocks being worked in my sample above. My personal experience is close to the end of open market earnings to be released aftermarket or before market opens AM next day, they tend to drop... Last 10 minutes and sometimes earlier.
I am *anticipating these will drop before the end of open market. SNAP is outpacing the current market and kicking me in the pants from when I bought it.

I've been asked to share some basics, figure this beats multiple PMs.

Again, this is a hobby w/ $ not remotely involved in budget, etc. I typically do not play options through an earnings release. Options are only able to buy/sell during open market. Stock long (buy) or short (sell) are available to buy/sell for a few hours pre and after market.

I've not jumped into strangles and straddles, iron condors, etc - here. There is a plethora of YouTube videos that share GREAT info to better understand Options and short selling of stock.

Also, as mentioned before, paper trading (kinda like playing with Monopoly$) is available to learn w/o working w/ real money.

Would dig hearing other thoughts and thanks for the PMs / emails, those sharing cool tidbits of info and those asking questions. I'm a joe player and do not speak with any professional education in this field. My education comes from paying into the Hard Knox University. 😉🙂

Edit. The end of day action:

The market roared today! Wow! Wish I was on the other side of this one for the open market play!

Here is F play. As this was a stock short, I'm able to buy shares to pay for the shares I "sold". YouTube has good videos on this to better understand this process.

Screenshot_20200204-142324.png

Screenshot_20200204-142200.png

This resulted in the following:

Screenshot_20200204-143354.png

Wish I held onto it longer! It really took a fantastic tumble downward! Either way though as my friends in our trader group say, "Green's Green!". $102.54 profit.
Without filling this post with tons of pics,

I lost $50 on my DIS play. Sold my two Put options about 3 minutes prior to market close. as this seemed to have a strong rise w/o much selling to drop. Now that earnings were released...

I sold two of the four Put options for SNAP. with a $30 loss for the two sold and kept two. Why play through this one vs not playing through DIS?
1. I reduced my $ exposure by selling two.
2. I liked the way this one looked based on past earnings release activity.
3. Short activity recently increased 5%
4. Well heck, for the price and past activity, felt two Puts were worth the long range gong shot.
5. Other aspects though in the end, it's the overall sense of activity. In this case, ***looks like I nailed it.

Screenshot_20200204-145009.png

I've played through an earnings release with options in the past and it looked great @ release of financials then for some wild reason, it flipped or didn't meet the intrinsic value (anticipated) % move.

I'll update tomorrow and we'll see if the two Puts hold up enough for me to sell tomorrow at market open.

This morning edit:

Screenshot_20200205-084634.png

Last edited:
Edited above to add the final close picture of the SNAP Put options this morning... Wish I held them a bit longer though as said before... green is green. Same with DIS... Played all three right for an earnings miss with shifted outlooks yet the market was on fire yesterday and it tilted the playing field... What I believe should have occurred and did occur do not meet eye to eye - otherwise I'd be topping Warren Buffett, as a hobby. :)

So final total after all is said and done;

SNAP:
Sold 2 Puts yesterday loss -$30
Sold the remaining 2 Puts this morning +$90

DIS:
Sold both Puts yesterday loss -$50

F:
Completed short sale buy to close +$102.54

Total Profit from yesterday to this morning: +$112.54

Last edited:
Alguém pode compartilhar sua experiência perto do fim do mercado aberto de ganhos a serem divulgados no mercado de reposição

Depends on the volatility of the market and (or) the ticker in question that day. If, example... aftermarket earnings to be reported, some ride the high (if expected to have an earnings beat) then sell off their shares before the earnings #'s are reported. Same with shorting if not expected to beat... Many do not believe working through an earnings unless a trader is long. I'll play through trades on occasion though mostly play up to close.

I started trading options on Robinhood with a $500 account back in July. Using the RSI strategy on GOLD options only. Only every leverage 30% or so of my account with each trade, trading only a couple of days a week, buying in the money calls or puts depending on if the RSI is low or high, and being happy with 10% gains on each trade and exiting. I've made a few mistakes (essentially not sticking to my plan) but so far the plan has worked consistently.

If you're going to try to learn this... STUDY! And... TAKE NOTES! Make a note of your success and your mistakes so that you can remind yourself why you did that stupid thing you don't want to repeat, and reward and relive your good decisions.

Today I wrote a bot to tell me when the RSI swings the way I want it so I don't have to watch the charts all day. Hoping that gives me even more flexibility.

First day using the new RSI notifier script I wrote. Bought 2 Friday contracts on RSI below 30, averaged down once for two more, rode a big wave up and sold on a short red candle with a long up wick ("shooting star" pattern I think it's called) well before RSI hit 70. Fought the FOMO and took the profit: 44.40% on the trade, 17.21% on the account for the day.

Of course it went full "moon" status right after I got out, but hey... profit taken is profit you can no longer lose on this trade. Live to trade another day.

(NOTE: This is my own personal experience, not to be construed as financial advice. Don't trade on your own with money you can't afford to lose. Always seek advice from a qualified financial advisor if you're unsure.)

Last edited:
If anyone else is interested, I've published my RSI alert script on GitHub.

just curious, are you buying when the RSI hits 70 or selling? Basically, are you a trend following to trend reversal trader?
I like RSIs, but I like to add another confirming metric. Most applicable to the people who don't stare at a screen all day, look at the daily closing RSI you posted (14day, 70, 30 band) with a weekly of the same (14wk). You have to tweak the upper band slightly because it often doesn't hit 70, so maybe like 65 on upper range. When daily hits 70 and weekly hits 65, it is a good time to reduce equity exposure. It reveals severe overbought conditions.

I’m day trading on price volatility and using rsi as simply an alert to look for an entry or exit point. Buying calls when rsi is low and MA crosses EMA and/or an entry candlestick pattern shows a likely movement, and vice versa puts when rsi is high and same conditions show a correction coming.

I use the ichimoku to get a feel for support and resistance points as well. Though by far RSI as a common indicator for entry exit is a quality +...

Forex is fun at least my husband says to. He started getting into it, and I had no idea what it was until I started reading about it online. The first thing that pops out are the stories about people who have lost everything... I get scared, but he says that he uses forex signals from forexkings.com. Apparently, that will make it impossible for him to lose money. Those guys send him stuff, advices about what to invest in. I am not sure if he is lying, but at least the money is coming from somewhere. I don't really care as long as he buys me stuff I want.

Last edited:
Back