NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Marias River WMA Montana

mtlion

Any hunttalker's out there ever hunted deer here? Any idea of the quality of bucks around?I drew the second week of rifle, this looks like some sweet ground and I'm trying to get it together to do this.

I have checked it out, and thought that using a canoe would be doable but not ideal due to the access issues. It is great country, but be sure to ask about Griz, as there was a few in there last summer.

I am very interested to hear how things go for you, and if you come up lacking for hunting partners, give me some notice, and I might could make it!

Good luck!

Matt

mtlion,

I drew an archery tag up there last year and again this year (first week). I scouted and did see some great bucks up there last year, along with 1 grizzly at close range and I also killed 3 rattle snakes in one day. I didn't end up shooting one with my bow, not becasue I didn't have any chances, just never saw the one I wanted. I ended up killing a 160+ later in the archery season elsewhere. I had the opportunity to hunt this area about 15-20 years ago and the hunting is as good as ever!

With your tag being for the 2nd week of rifle season, you have an excellent chance to bag a 150+ whitetail! But, be prepared to pack it out and have a plan in case you shoot one across the river as there is no access from the south, although they did add another north entrance this year. A canoe is a great idea, but ALOT of floating and there aren't any established campsites yet, which is not a problem for me, I like it rustic.

I know the area very well and plan on heading back up there soon, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. It's a great tag, and I'd be more than willing to share what I know. I'm new to this site so I don't know how to add pics, but I do have a bunch from last year. Let me know...

mtlion, I think I have the picture thing figured out. Here are a few from my trip up there. None of the grizzly, we startled each other in a thicket and he was gone before I could get my camera out of my pack, but the pics show how big he was.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and pics. Looks like a crazy place to see a griz! You have me very excited to go explore this country.

PS PM sent

I know one of the neighboring landowners and they've got some incredible pics of a sow and 2 cubs running around out there. Keep on your toes. There's grizz in them thar...fields?

I know one of the neighboring landowners and they've got some incredible pics of a sow and 2 cubs running around out there. Keep on your toes. There's grizz in them thar...fields?

Duly noted. Grizzlies and prikcly pear. Perfect :D

I hunted there last year as well. I hunted the third archery season slot, so the rag was off the bush so to speak. I did see some nice deer. There was another guy hunting the same area, and he didn't use a stand. He was a spot and spooker. I saw three griz. a big boar, a sow, and cub. The boar was standing under my stand in the early morining light. I changed plans. I also so the spot and spooker walk within maybe 10 yards of the sow and cub. The sow stood up and watched him walk by. Would have made a great picture.

Thanks for all of the great info guys. It is very much appreciated. Sounds like there's no shortage of bears or rattlesnakes! Don't suppose you get any cell service out there eh?

I hear that last year 2012 they killed only 10 deer all small, the new accesss to the east gets you closer to the river. happy hunting

does anyone know why the deer season closes 2 weeks earlier than any where else in the state??????????????

Thats why there are some nice bucks in those districts. The two week break from the hunters when the bucks are at there dumbest. That way the FWP don't have to make it a special permit area to have some nice bucks around. It would be nice if there was some more areas like that around the state.

so you don't think there are nice bucks any where else in the state that stays open until after thanksgiving. When i look at the record book i don't see any booners shot in this area, there must be another reason...

Whitetail
I said nice not booner. All of the better deer areas I have hunted has had some type control on how many bucks are taken during a season. This leads to an older age class of deer.

ya sorry,,, but booners are nice ha... i just think it is strange for people who can't travel out of area have a 2 week shorter season than the rest of the state, your observation, I am sure is accurate but why then just that area, not the whole state or even some other areas also, i just feel i am missing something in this shortened season especially since no one else seems to care.

Back