Caribou Gear Tarp

Marias River WMA Montana

mtlion,

I drew an archery tag up there last year and again this year (first week). I scouted and did see some great bucks up there last year, along with 1 grizzly at close range and I also killed 3 rattle snakes in one day. I didn't end up shooting one with my bow, not becasue I didn't have any chances, just never saw the one I wanted. I ended up killing a 160+ later in the archery season elsewhere. I had the opportunity to hunt this area about 15-20 years ago and the hunting is as good as ever!

With your tag being for the 2nd week of rifle season, you have an excellent chance to bag a 150+ whitetail! But, be prepared to pack it out and have a plan in case you shoot one across the river as there is no access from the south, although they did add another north entrance this year. A canoe is a great idea, but ALOT of floating and there aren't any established campsites yet, which is not a problem for me, I like it rustic.

I know the area very well and plan on heading back up there soon, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. It's a great tag, and I'd be more than willing to share what I know. I'm new to this site so I don't know how to add pics, but I do have a bunch from last year. Let me know...
I’d love to see some pics?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back