Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Maps

peterk1234

Anybody here carrying a map and a compass with them when they hike in for multiple days? Seems like a good thing to have when the power goes out for some unforeseen reason. The shop I was at today mentioned that they really do not sell many maps anymore. Pete

Always have a compass with me. If I'm new to the area I will have a map of some type. My GPS only lasts so long before needing charging. It seems many people rely on electronics and forget the basic's. This can bite you in the butt if your not careful.

I make sure to have a compass in my emergency kit and a paper map in my bag for western hunts. I’m always terrified of getting away from the car just to have my phone die on me.

I always carry a compass. I have a map most of the time. The unit I hunt Elk in every year I don't carry a map for anymore. Things look pretty familiar now.....but the compass, always. Too easy to get turned around.

Yep, topo map of the area we're hunting and we look it over before we go to get a handle on the lay of the land. In areas I am not familiar I look over the map to learn specific reference points and where roads may go in relation to those points.
Compass is always in the pack , just in case.

I carry a minimum of 2 compasses usually 3. I can convince myself that the compasses are wrong. It's crazy. My kids bought me a Garmin GPS because of this 3 or 4 years ago and I still don't know how to operate it. And when I'm hunting I can get into the zone, go off still hunting n end up somewhere. And have no idea where I'm at. I wrote about getting lost n getting hypothermia in another thread.
Hey no excuses I own it. And regularly tell folks if they want to get lost in the woods follow me.
But I'm still out enjoying life and wishing I could figure out how to use my GPS.
My maps are very useful for looking at terrain and I use them regularly before the hunt or outing.

I carry a compass but not a map. I study hard before I go and feel comfortable with the area. A good topo would be worthwhile to add to my kit though.

Compass not map. Take an emergency bearing before leaving the truck and you’re good.

I carry a cheapo compass clipped to the inside of my fanny pack. It has come in handy a few times when trying to get back to the truck in thick trees. It has also come in very useful in getting back to the truck after dark in unfamiliar areas.

Last edited:
No if hunting the areas I know by heart. Yes in new areas or areas rarely visited.
Always have a compass. There are places the gps can't give you a consistant answer and you need a backup.

I plot all of my kills on topos at home. You would be amazed at the patterns they reveal. Looking at them will remind you of places you haven't hunted yet.

I like a map and compass for several reasons. Obviously in case power goes out or my phone screen shatters but for me it’s easier to look at a paper topo map to scout and find potential hidey holes and then confirm that it needs a closer look on Onx with a satellite image. I think it’s the scale or something. Besides that maps are cool. I had a map on my bedroom wall when I was a kid of the entire US. Now I have historic maps of lakes I fish and areas I hunt framed on the wall. They marked stuff for different reasons back in the day.

Started out with a map and compass when GPS became reasonable and now with downloadable hunt maps that I can mark hunting areas I don't carry a paper map unless it is a completely new area. I always have a compass and pay attention to landmarks and direction.

I usually just use my phone with offline maps these days. Considering selling my gps. Where do you all get your paper maps made. Any recommendations for what resolution or thing to make sure you get on a paper map

I rely on the electronics, although I’m the best of all my peers at following paper maps 😂 a couple times I’ve been turned around… the first time I knew there was a road below me and I was to the west of it. I headed down the mountain way steeper than I had gone up, and ended up having to hike that road 3.5 miles.. there’s always a road or major river or land mass. Basic navigation and survival skills help and I knew that I was packed well enough to last 3 days any given trip. Another thread about bag dumps earlier. I bring it all just in case- all year.

Phone. I do find having a Gazetteer in the car is very helpful on western hunts in new spots.

I’ve made a lot of maps for hunts and then never pulled them out of my pack.

Map and compass, always. Still practice with it regularly. Mid day break, pull out the topo, take some bearings, find the truck, camp and where I am on the map, check the GPS see if my compass still points north.

I use maps.

I like the paper map, but GPS is so much more convenient. It can get people in to trouble because they get in over their head, though.

Back