Mann Gulch Hike

Southern Elk

Today @Nameless Range and I did a hike that was years in the making. I don’t really remember when I became infatuated with the Mann Gulch Fire, the deadliest fire ever for the smoke jumpers, but it’s been many years. I’ve seen these mountainsides from the river below several times. Today we saw the crosses up close. If you’ve never read Young Men and Fire, do yourself a favor and read it. NR says it’s the finest work of non fiction ever written and I tend to agree. This hike is bucket list worthy, especially if you are a fan of the book and Maclean’s writing.
78F5D8DD-C370-4D84-8425-A13CFD444A27.jpegBA508B39-1851-455A-AD82-D48BDC630C51.jpeg16F271C5-4AF1-47F5-881A-B209250141DC.jpegEE8DBC06-D137-48C2-B304-2214F91F5C3F.jpeg133A7458-76B0-4605-920F-FEFC2710CAF7.jpegA4850A0E-D039-4E61-A2B3-69A8EA2B09E0.jpeg

Cool place. Hiked in there a long time ago. Any snakes?

I’ll contribute too. A couple asides:

-I wouldn’t know @Southern Elk if not for Hunt Talk

- The Beartooth WMA, purchased with sportsman’s dollars, is a treasure. In particular today.

-I’m glad we didn’t run into any rattlers, mainly because I brought my dog. Who is currently out cold on the floor

Willow Mountain from Willow Creek on the WMA

8637DEAC-5ADA-4D9C-ADB2-C33DB145D943.jpeg

Rescue Gulch where those who survived made it out of the inferno

045E9C2B-8555-41AB-892F-64656C097F25.jpeg

Thol was a 19 year old Montanan, and of those who died in the gulch, was closest to the top. We were thinking he was no more than 30 seconds from salvation.

92D4EB5E-558D-4256-BB50-683644CD8D5F.jpeg

It all basically happened within this field of view.

8FDC8E73-C0F4-4B30-AA74-20C5D7EA7D87.jpeg

I’ve sort of been obsessed with the book since high school, and it took me till today to get there but I’ll second the notion that if you want to, you should.

Today @Nameless Range and I did a hike that was years in the making. I don’t really remember when I became infatuated with the Mann Gulch Fire, the deadliest fire ever for the smoke jumpers, but it’s been many years. I’ve seen these mountainsides from the river below several times. Today we saw the crosses up close. If you’ve never read Young Men and Fire, do yourself a favor and read it. NR says it’s the finest work of non fiction ever written and I tend to agree. This hike is bucket list worthy, especially if you are a fan of the book and Maclean’s writing.
View attachment 279076View attachment 279077View attachment 279078View attachment 279079View attachment 279080View attachment 279081
I had flown over it many times, then hiked it from the river with my wife after reading about the fire. I then bought YOUNG MEN AND FIRE, read the book and took it up on the mountain, where I located many of the spots described by Maclean. The only spot I could not pinpoint was where the two fit young smokejumpers went straight up through the rocks. After hiking that mountainside, one gets an eerie feeling for the desparation each of those who perished must have experienced.
An epic, tragic documentary in a highly descriptive and intriguing book. An equally interesting and challenging hike, especially on a hot day ... even without a wildfire chasing you!

I haven't read the book in a while, but it's a good one.

Laird Robinson was a good friend of mine, who helped Norman with a lot of the research for the book. I grew up with both of his sons, in fact, his youngest was best man at my wedding.

I fished steelhead and salmon with Laird and also hunted elk with him. We talked about the book and Mann Gulch quite a bit, some things that are in the book, some that aren't. I think he and Norman knew more about that fire than anyone ever will.

Anyone that's ever fought fire will appreciate the book.

As a Captain in the fire service I always try to respect and learn from the sacrifices made before me. This fire was obviously before my time, but still impactful to read and learn from.
The Granite Mountain hotshots fatality occurred during my time as a young firefighter, and crushed me. That’s also a great hike to take if you’re ever down in the South West.
Thanks for sharing!

I haven't read the book in a while, but it's a good one.

Laird Robinson was a good friend of mine, who helped Norman with a lot of the research for the book. I grew up with both of his sons, in fact, his youngest was best man at my wedding.

I fished steelhead and salmon with Laird and also hunted elk with him. We talked about the book and Mann Gulch quite a bit, some things that are in the book, some that aren't. I think he and Norman knew more about that fire than anyone ever will.

Anyone that's ever fought fire will appreciate the book.
The second quote in your signature is probably my favorite quote of all time. Maclean had a way with words that will never be matched.

Thanks for sharing. I've always wondered about that spot.

That lake and stretch of river between the two are some of my favorite country in the L48. Been a minute since I was down that way, might make an effort to head that way this summer if we have time while in MT.
Let me know if you do and I’ll send you the track for the hike. Your family would really enjoy the boat tour on the lake too. It’s one of our favorite things to do. We’ve done it 3-4 times.

I was packer and trail crew boss for USFS out of Helena one season back in the eighties. Yes, there are a lot of snakes, especially on that bench just above the trailhead. I remember coming out late just before sunset. I moved the horses slowly and avoided looking down. Cattle were ranged in there back then and I think the snakes knew enough to get off the trail when they could feel the ground vibration of approaching livestock. Beautiful country. Thanks for the memories.

Lot of firefighters have been killed in the Salmon River country. Much more dangerous terrain. Fortunately, when I was hotshot we never got called to one down there.

The photo below provides a perspective representing the ruggedness of the Mann Gulch terrain above the Gates of the Mountains. Photo taken in the wilderness just a few miles south of Mann Gulch shows my splinted leg with severed patellar tendon. Two Bear Air flew overhead and hoisted me out of there, but the smokejumpers were not blessed with such support.

Splinted leg, looking down to canyon above Meriweather Landing.JPG

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back