Yeti GOBOX Collection

Make a new draw system from scratch.

Idaho, Montana, Arizona, Oregon, Wyoming big 5, Colorado sheep, moose, goat, North Dakota, north Dakota moose and sheep 0 tags, South Dakota sheep/elk, Nebraska elk/ sheep...

Do I need to go on?

Almost a given more states are good by to go 90-10 for more species.
Pardon my ignorance, but SD offers zero NR sheep or elk tags. Anyone can bid on the auctioned sheep tag and NR can buy raffle tickets for elk tags(three thru Hunt for Habitat raffle and one thru RMEF raffle). West river deer has an 8% NR pool

The joke is not the amount we pay as NR’s. The joke is what you R’s pay . Or shall I say don’t pay . Point at NR and say oh they’re everywhere but no hell no don’t up my $16 deer tag to $40 . And no I don’t mean you specifically doug .
1. I’m not sure there is any way to fix Montana with the way any change has to be legislated.
2. Montana has no chance of being fixed until nonresident tags don’t sell out. This seems very unlikely with the increased demand that has been created. Bringing more people to the table certainly didn’t work.
3. I’m doing just fine if I never shoot another animal in Montana ever again. I’ve seen the best I will ever see.

Keep funding shitty management the jokes on you certainly not me. I get what I pay for.

1. I’m not sure there is any way to fix Montana with the way any change has to be legislated.
2. Montana has no chance of being fixed until nonresident tags don’t sell out. This seems very unlikely with the increased demand that has been created. Bringing more people to the table certainly didn’t work.
3. I’m doing just fine if I never shoot another animal in Montana ever again. I’ve seen the best I will ever see.

Keep funding shitty management the jokes on you certainly not me. I get what I pay for.
Agree . However , even if we (NR) have opportunities cut things won’t improve until Resident opportunity is cut . Resident tags/tags structure is the real issue in Montana and b tags is a huge part they should be cut to private only

Tag numbers are set yearly by biologists, after spring classification counts. Tag Prices rise with inflation.
There will be mandatory harvest reporting. You have to report harvest from the previous year to apply. You have to show shooting competency and qualify with weapons you plan on hunting with, once every five years. This can be done at your local rifle or archery range.
Tags are split residents 85% nonresidents 15%. Cost is 5x for the nonresident . Youth tags are 1/5 the price of adult tags for both residents and nonres. If a tags are leftover there is no 85/15 split. Nonres have just as much of a chance. Points cost 1/2 of the tag cost, but you can opt out of a point.
All tags for all species are draw. No OTC. True preference point system, but with a 5 point cap. Nobody can have more than 5 points for each species at any time. Tags are drawn randomly from the highest point level, so tags in high demand will essentially have a 5 year waiting period to have a chance to draw again.
There is a primary draw in June, and a secondary draw on august 1, each with two choices. Both of your choices will be considered before moving on to the next applicant. The secondary draw will include tags that make it through the primary, and returned tags, it will be full random.

If you draw in the primary you can’t apply for the secondary.
Any leftovers that make it through both draws must be purchased at a license dealer in person.

Acquiring a tag by any means sets your points for that species back to zero. You can get one male tag and one female tag per species per year if the draws/leftover purchases are in your favor.

Tags may be returned but you lose your money and your points.
Tags returned after the secondary draw is completed will not be reissued.

Pardon my ignorance, but SD offers zero NR sheep or elk tags.
… And if your state is 100/0 ratio on NR Moose/Sheep/Goat/elk (SD, ND, NE), well, then you get 0% of NR tags in other states (all species).

CA & OR would also have their lack of sharing reciprocated. You give 0.1-3% to other NRs, then your allocation is reciprocated.

Reactions: OMB
75% residents
20% reciprocity for residents of NM, AZ, CO, WY, MT, ID, NV, UT
3% outfitter pool
1% landowners
1% flatlanders

Problem solved.

Agree . However , even if we (NR) have opportunities cut things won’t improve until Resident opportunity is cut . Resident tags/tags structure is the real issue in Montana and b tags is a huge part they should be cut to private only
Correct, but as long as fwp keeps getting funded the accessible lands will suffer. Privatization of wildlife just an interesting way to do it. It’s a complete lack of leadership from fwp, there is no need for biologists or game managers with what Montana is doing. I will end my rant. Easy fixes but it will never happen.

Point system: M/S/G - 3 preference and then bonus points.

D/E/A - simple bonus.

Applicants can only put in for one OIL species, or D/E/A (like Idaho currently does). You can only get points for the OIL species you put in for. If you do D/E/A, you cannot get points for OIL. Points disappear if you don't put in twice in a row, or if you post a picture on social media with any animal killed in Idaho while wearing a flat-brimmed hat.

Between birth and nine years old (legal hunting age for big game is ten) kids can earn up to their three preference points for one OIL species if they (their parents) put them in, or they can earn up to three bonus points for D/E/A.

Parents or grandparents may transfer draw tags for D/E/A to their kid or grandkid, but they must be present with the shooter when the shot is fired.

M/S/G can only be DRAWN once in a lifetime like Utah. Once you've drawn, you can never draw again. You want good odds on a ram tag? Hit the Frank Church, but you better make it count. This would make some seriously tough hunts for sheep and moose, in particular, much easier to draw.

No turning tags back in for any reason. No refunds. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. If you call IDFG and ask to be the exception for this rule, you're ineligible for all future big game lotteries in the state. We don't have time or resources for your bullshit, because in my scenario, I already got to go through IDFG's books and slash the hell out of anything that is fluff... including biologists who can't sex a lion laying on someone's tailgate, don't know the difference in a mule deer and whitetail deer, or don't know that CWD is a neurological disease (yes...they exist). If you break your leg training for the hunt, sorry, but maybe you shouldn't have listened to Cam Hanes and kept hammering. If your unit burns up in a fire, figure out a way to get it done. If you die, who cares about your tag, you're dead.

Tag fees must be fronted. M/S/G wouldn't be ridiculously priced here for NR like they currently are. We give like 4 NR goat tags and 9 NR sheep tags...no reason to go crazy on the fees. I say $1500 for S/G/M.

NR can come and take the hunter safety class in Idaho, but we aren't giving you a bonus point for it...this isn't AZ.

Since I'm making rules up, reasonable quotas would be reinstated for lions. Winter hound season opens Dec 1. Outfitters could not take clients behind hounds until Jan 1, if kill quotas are open. This would force some of them to be reasonable human beings around other houndsmen. Shooters must be present when dogs are turned loose.

Outfitters would get zero set-asides, zero help, zero welfare. If they want business, they need to get it by having clients shoot big animals and market themselves as the best option. The Idaho outfitter board rules would be restructured to create competition, not the current situation where one outfitter gets complete control over their particular GMU(s). This would lower costs, and raise quality. You shouldn't have one option when you draw sheep. You should be able to pick the one with the best track record.

Oh, and while I'm making shit up, I would have the legislature pass the following bill:

The Wyoming Wilderness Reciprocity Act- any WY resident hunting in the state can't be more than 100 ft from his or her vehicle while hunting, and must use a Nerf gun (for their own safety.) If they hire an outfitter, or go with an resident, same rules apply. They must also dress in clown suits, with face paint and a red nose...with an orange vest on top.

I gotta say, for a guy who hasn't stepped foot in the wild hunting for ANYTHING you sure are getting wrapped up in stuff you know nothing about.
This is for Dave N:

I cannot find any Dave N OP's and Dave N complained on one of my latest threads that I never add anything to any other person's threads so, Dave, you asked for it, you got it, Toyota: a present from dove-retrieving dogs everywhere and me to YOU! Now come hear me, all you good sportsmen; please clean up after your dogs always (or curb them on the streets) and use trained retrieving dogs to clean up downed birds afield after your collective dove guns go BANG!

Last edited:
75% R, 25% NR, Zero land owner tags, Outfitters have zero power, pure 100% draw, no points, Once you draw 2 year wait. R pay $200, NR pay $400.

This is a pointless discussion but that’s never stopped me from throwing my opinion out…”Destination” hunting states (CO, WY, NM, MT, ID, UT, AZ) put 50% of their DEA NR tags in a pool, an applicant can only apply for this pool or in individual states - not both. One tag per applicant out of the pool os possible. You get 5 choices, it goes like NM currently does, looks at choices 1-5 before going to next applicant. If you draw it uses your points for that species in that state of you have any. The other 50% of NR tags stay under normal state draw scheme. % of R/NR tags up to each state. NR tags 20x R price.

I think we are making some good headway here. Alot of good ideas are being presented that we can work with. All we need to do is create a new state which shouldn't be so hard, I mean it's been done 50 times before.

… And if your state is 100/0 ratio on NR Moose/Sheep/Goat/elk (SD, ND, NE), well, then you get 0% of NR tags in other states (all species).

CA & OR would also have their lack of sharing reciprocated. You give 0.1-3% to other NRs, then your allocation is reciprocated.
So it shall be.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back