Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Major study approved

shoots-straight

Things are moving faster than we could have possible imagined they would. Thanks to the Dept. personal, and Professor Hebblewhites enthusiasm, we're going to find a lot out concerning our major elk herds her in the root. Things could be looking up. Remember we used page 55 of the Montana EMP 4 years ago to stop the over harvest of our elk that were living on public lands. There's area's all over they state that need the same attention. NOW. Our club also funded a small time study on mule deer in HD 250, we have 10 does collared right now. That's all we could afford, but at least it should leed us to some small conclusions. If the doe's die, our local Bio, or club members will retrieve the collar and they'll put it on another one.
http://www.missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/article_cd587916-3881-11df-bdfe-001cc4c002e0.html

Let's just hope this isn't a first step (wait, I guess it'd already be the second step) toward capture, test, & slaughter in Montana.
FWP has already killed a few collared elk that tested positive for brucellosis exposure in the Paradise Valley. Yet another reason why the Gallatin Wildlife Association tends to be a little bit cynical about "research".

Good luck with the project. Catching calves in the spring can be a lot of fun, hard work, and long days. We caught about 40 down here last spring, the leading cause of dropped collars was barbed wire fences. If nothing else you should get some good mortality and movement data.

Last edited:
Let's just hope this isn't a first step (wait, I guess it'd already be the second step) toward capture, test, & slaughter in Montana.
FWP has already killed a few collared elk that tested positive for brucellosis exposure in the Paradise Valley. Yet another reason why the Gallatin Wildlife Association tends to be a little bit cynical about "research".

That would be a problem.

We sent the Gallatin Wildlife Ass. the info they needed to bring elk objectives levels up on public lands. Never heard back form them, and I don't see where they applied the info for any of the districts in those areas.

Eh?

You might have us confused with someone else. We've had our own suggestions, like going back to permit only for cow elk on public lands. We haven't seen where "they applied the info" either.
But then I'm almost too tired to type. Just got back from a horn hunt. Of course that makes hunting live elk seem like a sure thing! Had received an inadvertent "hot tip", and sure enough, a couple weeks back when I first checked out this area that didn't used to have very many elk, got into a ton of sign, but alas, horns were still attached, it seemed. And today, I made it further in, only to find the elk have done likewise. Going to have to pull an overnighter one of these times...

Back