Caribou Gear

Made in the U.S.A.

LOL shop at Walmart. Walmart used to take pride in everything they sold being made in the USA. Not no more.

Problem with Made in USA is very little really is. And for those that claim their products are made in USA, parts are made elsewhere and the product is then assembled in the USA.

I agree with previous poster, quality does not always go up with Made in USA but more often than not you get better quality because places like India and China have poor QA records. A few countries actually have superior QA records compared to the USA. Price does not always match the quality of the product when you stick with USA. Realistically, you can't insist on Made in USA because very little does.

All Weatherby Mark V’s are made in the USA. Vanguard is not.

Leupold VX-5 would be my choice of scope.

Problem with Made in America is that I don't believe the quality goes up but the price sure does. If I could only get made in America rifle's I'd have all Mossberg's and Savage's. Made in America is way over done IMHO. If on the other hand you have to much money to spend on a rifle, go for it Have to do something with all that excess money! I believe all my rifle's actually are made in America but I have had a few made out of the country. Several Sako's I got from the rod and gun club when stationed in Germany, as I recall they were $90 each. Couple Mk X Mauser's, Parker Hale's. Weatherby were made in Belgium for a long time I believe and today in Japan. Tikka's have a huge following but I've never seen one, not made in America! I like to think that how the gun works is more important that fit and finish. Of course accuracy come's in also and for a couple grand you can get a beautiful Made in America rifle that will shoot 1" group's right out of the bot. I've read Tikkas do the same thing! Shoot I have two Mossberg Patriot's that do the same!

I strongly suspect that a lot of guy's claiming, Buy American Made, shop at the Walmart!

You left out Remington, Cooper, Nosler, Weatherby(yes they also import some lines from Japan, and don’t hide it) and probably a few more, just on the production bolt action rifle front. Lots of AR and pistol manufacturers in the US as well. Then of course there are the custom action makers like Stiller, Stole, etc. When you only mention the two most budget focused brands in the US of course it looks like US quality isn’t that good.

You also are of the flawed opinion that a Danner Pronghorn(made in China, for Danner, as a budget boot) is in the same league as a Danner Rainforest(made in USA from US complements except for the Vibram sole) just because they both say “Danner”.

“Made in USA” often, but not always, means higher quality than an item made anywhere other than Japan or Europe. What it ALWAYS means, is that the money you spent went into your neighbor’s paycheck and is much more likely to end up back in your pocket someday than when 90% of the money you spent goes into the pocket of someone in another country, particularly if the only thing that country purchases from the US is ag products that we sell to them for less that it costs to grow.

All Weatherby Mark V’s are made in the USA. Vanguard is not.

All Weatherby Mark V's are made in the USA.

Again, I ask does "Made in America or USA" include assembled in this country? The parts for the Mark V are not made at the Weatherby headquarters in Sheridan, WY, but they are assembled there. I have a feeling the parts are not even made in this country.

ClearCreek

Again, I ask does "Made in America or USA" include assembled in this country? The parts for the Mark V are not made at the Weatherby headquarters in Sheridan, WY, but they are assembled there. I have a feeling the parts are not even made in this country.

ClearCreek

Im not certain what the current language includes. Various lobbies frequently get the requirements for various labeling changes slightly, and it may even vary by industry. That said, it’s not uncommon to see “assembled in USA” on products where the parts were manufactured overseas and then assembled in the US, where “Made in USA with foreign and domestic materials” usually points toward something more like completely manufacturing a boot in the US using foreign leather or rubber, or occasionally, as found in many boots, a US manufactured boot, made with US leather, but using a Vibram sole from Italy. “Made in USA” generally means that the entire product was made in the US from start to finish. I may be missing some details, and a lot of those details change every few years.

I like the Made In USA rifle thread for Independence Day. ... (y)

Winchester M70 featherweight 300wsm, South Carolina build (2008), Leupold VX-3i, Talley lightweights....made in USA 🇺🇸
View attachment 145632

I'm a SC native so couldn't pass up the chance for a SC model 70...

Happy Fourth of July!! 🇺🇸
Unfortunately they are no longer made there but I heard good things about those.

"ImBillT, post: 3029238, member: 39129"]
You left out Remington, Cooper, Nosler, Weatherby(yes they also import some lines from Japan, and don’t hide it) and probably a few more, just on the production bolt action rifle front. Lots of AR and pistol manufacturers in the US as well. Then of course there are the custom action makers like Stiller, Stole, etc. When you only mention the two most budget focused brands in the US of course it looks like US quality isn’t that good.

You also are of the flawed opinion that a Danner Pronghorn(made in China, for Danner, as a budget boot) is in the same league as a Danner Rainforest(made in USA from US complements except for the Vibram sole) just because they both say “Danner”.

Made in USA” often, but not always, means higher quality than an item made anywhere other than Japan or Europe. What it ALWAYS means, is that the money you spent went into your neighbor’s paycheck and is much more likely to end up back in your pocket someday than when 90% of the money you spent goes into the pocket of someone in another country, particularly if the only thing that country purchases from the US is ag products that we sell to them for less that it costs to grow.
This is what my end goal is. Buy as much American made merchandise as I can.
[/QUOTE]

When I was looking to buy a new rifle I called Weatherby and they told me about their components and where they came from. They are brutally honest and not trying to hide anything. I wanted a rifle that was USA made and stamped from my Great State of Wyoming.
Mark V=made and assembled in the USA.

Vangard= mostly made in Japan, same place How’s are made. Assembled in Sheridan.

But I agree with WyTex. A simple call is the easy way to get the answer rather then keep debating online.

But

ClearCreek

Leupold

setting on top of

A PRE 64 Model 70 Winchester. There are still some nice ones out there. My son recently bid on one but did not get it. However it was a 270. But there was a nice 7mm for sale when he was looking

If you dont have to have NEW, this works for sure. I have a friend in Virginia that has bought three or four used ones . Loves them. Many consider these to be one of the best ever. The new ones ar made in Portugal I believe

If you dont have to have NEW, this works for sure. I have a friend in Virginia that has bought three or four used ones . Loves them. Many consider these to be one of the best ever. The new ones ar made in Portugal I believe

I've never understood the love of the pre 64 Win What makes them the best ever?

Don,

Randi ask me to respond. For those who love them it is akin to being sacrilegious if you dont consider them one of the best ever (-:

For those of us who bought them new in the 1950's they had very nice wood, and shot, spot on, right out of the box. The safety and trigger were and still are liked by many and the action, again, according to many, is one of the best actions ever made. The mauser 98 and the pre 64 model 70 actions are still liked, used --and--duplicated, by folks like Granite Mountains and others. The CRF vs push feed discussion I will leave for a different thread. Collectors prefer the rifles made before the great war but hunters prefer those made in the 50's. The 60's started seeing slippage in quality and then they were gone. But are back now, but not made in the U.S.

To answer the OP's question, I would look no further than Weatherby Mark V and Leupold

Don, in reading your first post on this thread, I agree that made in America does not guarantee either quality or "out of the box" accuracy. But, there are some very well made shotguns and rifles made in America, as well as in other countries.

There are hunters today, some on this forum, who actually like rifles with stainless barrels and plastic stocks -- and use the Remington action when building their own ----whats that all about ?? (-;

Last edited:
Isn't Nosler, Marlin, Ruger and Henry all made in the U.S. ?

I like the Ruger Number 1's and Marlin products. No experience with Nosler or Henry

Leupold is big up here and I believe they are made 100% in the states, ------ not sure about the glass. Does anyone know whether or not the glass is made in the states or in Europe ?

Isn't Nosler, Marlin, Ruger and Henry all made in the U.S. ?

I like the Ruger Number 1's and Marlin products. No experience with Nosler or Henry

Leupold is big up here and I believe they are made 100% in the states, ------ not sure about the glass. Does anyone know whether or not the glass is made in the states or in Europe ?
From what I've been told the glass is the only thing not made in the U.S. It comes from overseas.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back