Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Low on Speedgoat

If I could get 50-70# off an antelope buck, I'd have a lot easier time convincing my wife that I need to go out there every year for a combo antelope/prairie chicken hunt. My cost per pound of meat would be about 1/2 what it has been in the past when I've made the trip. I will agree that antelope is delicious.

BODY SIZE​

Weights are frequently used to describe large animals. They are usually qualified with a statement that the weight was: live, whole, hog dressed, skinned, or with the head off. Also, weights may be determined by a guess, experienced estimate, or a scale.
Several variables are known to influence skeletal development and consequently affect the skull size, tusks, muscle tissue, fat deposits, gross size of the animal, annual replacement of antlers, and increments of horns. Extremely large antlers or horns do not necessarily correspond with an exceptionally large body size. If the antler development is not outstanding, the body condition or size is a preferred description.
This section provides a listing of some of the largest weights on record for the various Montana big game species. As such, the standards require verification and the use of a certified scale. Whole weight is either from a live animal or a dead and uncut animal; dressed weight is an animal with head, skin and feet attached and the complete viscera removed.
Future records should include sex, date killed, location taken, hunter name, and observer names for the scale weight.

Greatest Weights (in pounds) for Montana Big Game​

Species​

Whole​

Dressed​

Bear, Black660
Bear, Grizzly1,102
Lion, Mountain176
American Elk1,010810
Deer, Mule453340
Deer, Whitetailed375275
Shiras "Wyoming" Moose1,117840
Pronghorn160121
Bison1,555
Rocky Mountain Goat310212
Sheep, Bighorn302222

They don't seem to get that big in Mt.
I expected a bit heavier for the lion. Also, 453 pounds is one heck of a deer! Neat information there.

Now we need a biggest size study for Wyoming so I can convince some of these nonbelievers that big antelope do exist. LOL

Here is where yall nonbelievers and trolls will be getting when I do my live hunt in 2021. I just happen to own a tripod hoist and scale I bought last year so I didn't break my back lifting critters into my pickup on my lonesome. There are at least 4 HTers (not going to list until we get draw results and know for sure who) going to join me this year so yall will have yer witnesses. Plan is to get hanging weight, dressed weight and debone weight which will be close to net yield on meat. It should be warm so I suggested everyone bring large coolers so we will be deboning at camp more than likely. And enough cameras there should be plenty of pictures of the antelope I am referring to.

Now I wished I never got less than 100 pounds net yield for speedgoat. I have yet to see one with yield that much meat. I wanna see pictures. (Post #39)

Here is where yall nonbelievers and trolls will be getting when I do my live hunt in 2021. I just happen to own a tripod hoist and scale I bought last year so I didn't break my back lifting critters into my pickup on my lonesome. There are at least 4 HTers (not going to list until we get draw results and know for sure who) going to join me this year so yall will have yer witnesses. Plan is to get hanging weight, dressed weight and debone weight which will be close to net yield on meat. It should be warm so I suggested everyone bring large coolers so we will be deboning at camp more than likely. And enough cameras there should be plenty of pictures of the antelope I am referring to.

Now I wished I never got less than 100 pounds net yield for speedgoat. I have yet to see one with yield that much meat. I wanna see pictures. (Post #39)
Why reinvent the wheel?

University of Wyoming did this very thing a long time ago...

I don't care where a pronghorn is living and what they're eating, 70lbs of meat off one isn't happening.

Last edited:
My 2019 goat I weighed it for fun just before cutting. The carcass on the cutting table 55 pounds

Attachments

• 46025C59-C5CA-477C-B95A-5A483E5489EF.jpeg
    46025C59-C5CA-477C-B95A-5A483E5489EF.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 8
Extra Large bucks yield around 35lbs of cleaned boneless meat. 40lbs would be extremely unlikely, 70# is just total BS.
This I will find out for myself. What you are quoting might be normal when antelope are on their natural habitat. But my question and I will find out and post the data is what happens when they confine themselves to a area with plenty of rye or sorghum on top of the forbs that grows plenty in the spring and early summer to feed on and plenty of water from the irrigation that keeps the fields and vegetation moist? I know they do not move around because multiple times I sat on the road and watched them. Typically with antelope where you bed them is where they will be in the morning unless something like a coyote pushes them at night. I usually found them in the same spot when I returned prior to dawn.

The Montana study on max weights does show that 70# yield while rare is possible. In Colorado, I hunted antelope off mostly irrigated wheat and alfalfa fields and while I never weighed one, they were definitely heavier than the ones on CRP, BLM, dryland, and fallowed land.

So, how bouts we wait and see what I come up with instead of trolling each other or insulting people here? I think everyone has a valid point, but they need to learn to respect each other and realize that person just might be on to something.

Doug, the collective membership here has butchered literally hundreds of antelope, and not one person thinks 70 lbs is possible. Think about that. You aren’t talking to a group of gullible Hunter Ed students.

Having said all that, I’m sure this thread will go at least as long as the cooling antelope meat thread. You’re pretty skilled at keeping folks riled up.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back