Losing Touch With the Great Outdoors

Elkhunter

Tuesday, February 04, 2003
By Marla Lehner

NEW YORK — Twenty-somethings may be great at blasting aliens out of the virtual sky, but most can't shoot a deer or hook a trout in the real world.

The number of people aged 18 to 24 who participate in hunting or fishing has been on the decline for the last decade, according to the latest numbers from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Experts say the proliferation of video games, a lack of exposure to nature and a misperception of the sports have all contributed to the decline of young people stalking prey.

"There's no doubt that the demographic trend in the U.S. in terms of hunting and fishing is mirroring what is happening as a whole," said Chris Tollefson, spokesman for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. "We are becoming far more of an urban society than a suburban society. We are losing touch with the natural world."

Only nine percent of the country's 34 million anglers are between 18 and 24, down from 13 percent a decade ago. And people in the same age bracket account for just 10 percent of the nation's 13 million hunters, down from 14 percent in 1991.

The sports don't gel well with a generation bred on Nintendo, MTV and other sensory-overloaded activities. "Hunting and fishing does require a lot of patience," Tollefson said. "It is a little out of step with the culture these days, there's no instant gratification."

American kids aren't being taught the sports as children, as many of their parents and grandparents were. And without early exposure, experts fear that many people will never experience the joy of reeling in a flapping flounder or skinning a deer.

"A large issue is [many people] do not have any way to learn how to hunt," said Floyd Thompson of the U.S. Forest Service. "The whole process of owning a gun has become almost a crime. People don't know how to shoot a gun or aim it or use it, how to stalk the animal or clean it. It's a learned sport. And fishing is similar."

But others say there is hope yet that college-aged video game addicts will eventually put away their PlayStations.

A recent party for the Urban Anglers shop in New York City was packed with young people all hooked on fly-fishing. The owner of the store, Katherine Hooper, 30, said college-aged students are too poor and too distracted to take up the sport, but most of her customers are in their late 20s and early 30s.

"The 18 to 25 age group is kind of a happy hour crowd. They're not welcomed financially into doing those sports," she said. "The typical fly-fishing rod costs $500. Hunting also is extremely expensive."

But once people get some cash in the bank and settle down, they're more inclined to pursue the sports, she said. "It's an incredible form of release from day-to-day anxieties that all of us contend with. When you're in college, you don't have this workaday world from which you'd like to be released."

David Blinken, 42, a fly-fishing guide off Long Island, N.Y., said one of the main problems with the sport is its reputation.

"The image we're all trying to break is that it's for grandpas who are retired," he said. "It's not."

In fact, several of his clients are now teaching their own parents to fish. Trevor Gibson, a 28-year-old CFO for a brokerage firm in New York City said he became obsessed with the sport 10 years ago when a friend introduced him to it — and has now taught his father to fish.

"We had a great bonding time," he said. "He caught 12 fish his first time out."

Still, the numbers speak for themselves, said Tollefson. To combat the problem, groups like the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts encourage kids to explore the natural world.

"We'd certainly like to see the trend reversed," said Tollefson. "We have made a concerted effort to expand hunting and fishing opportunities and to expose kids to it through things like national fishing week."

But even those who are optimistic about the next generation's interest in the great outdoors concede that basic attitudes toward nature create a barrier to the sports.

"Part of the reason fewer people are raised with hunting and fishing is they had different ideas of what was fun to do out in nature," said Hooper. "For example, my mother wanted to go out and walk. The idea of going out and wanting to shoot birds instead of look at birds skipped her."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,77474,00.html

this is your call-to-arms: take a kid hunting or fishing. if you don't have kids of your own take a niece or nephew, your neighbors kid or a kid from a youth group. take any kid who expresses an interest. we must work to preserve our hunting heritage!
soapbox.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-04-2003 21:35: Message edited by: pipedreams ]</font>

Man I never miss a chance to take a kid hunting. I don't care if itmine or not. Some kids can be very differant at times some don't like to set still. But it can be so rewarding at times not every time. You only get out what you put in it. There's nothing any better than a kid with a big
smile.gif
on his or her face.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-05-2003 04:10: Message edited by: MEATHEAD ]</font>

My big problem here has been that all the neighbor kids go hunting quite a bit, and all the darn neices and nephews live just to far away to make it feasible, but I am still looking for those that want to go...Good find Bill!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

You know... when you are about to become a parent for the first time (like I am) you start noticing things you never really noticed before. Like how screwed up most of the kids in my neighborhood are and how obsessed they and even some of the adults are with video games. Some of these guys have way more capital invested in their AV systems than it would take to get started hunting and fishing.

I pray every day that I raise my soon to be sons (or they turn out) differently.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-05-2003 07:14: Message edited by: tmsander ]</font>

Good article. I believe the problem is a little more complicated than that, but good nonetheless. Why would a kid WANT to go hunting these days? Between the media, Hollywood, and peer pressure from mis-informed classmates, it's a wonder that any of them make it to the field. I spent most of my childhood and high school years trying to hide the fact that I hunted and owned guns. Only dumb rednecks and unenlightened hicks hunted, you know. I didn't want to be classified with THEM. Since then I got a clue. But, if a kid doesn't have a positive influence to begin with, I don't know how they ever see their way through to becoming a hunter or fisherman. Even the "take a neighborhood kid hunting" stuff is complicated anymore because you have to overcome the prejudices of their parents, too. But you have to try!

Great post.
We always try to get kids involved.
Right now Steve works with a guy that has five kids and the whole family has an intrest in hunting and the outdoors.
I have a fishing/camping/shooting trip I told the kids we would take them on,I can't wait.I see tangled lines in my future.
Never a dull moment.
I think to often people think the kids are to young ----or are a hassle, but if you start out with short trips and make it fun ,take food,water, slow down and let them show you what they see,they usually turn out to be quite good later on when you take them on that real hunting trip.
Play game's while teaching them to make it fun.
We let the kids shoot arrows at balloon's placed on the target ,or fill water jugs with water to shoot at with the rifle.

The best thing is you get to be a kid again and have fun.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

dgibson,there is some truth to that. LOL
I grew up a short white blond girl in Pico Rivera Calif. home to gang's & drug's on one side and gronala grunching hippies on the other and not too many short white blond girls that hunted and rode a horse & dirt bikes
eek.gif
eek.gif

It wasnt cool to shoot animals ,only other gang members LOL
I was lucky my parents hunted and I got that gene along with my dad's very stuborn streak so I wasnt beat down to easy by the gang's or the gronala crunching teachers that wanted us to think only hicks or killers hunted.
wink.gif

I think the point of moving more and more toward an urban society is the crux of it. Also, hunting's harder than pushing buttons.

The only thing I disliked about the article (and this is pretty nit-picky) is the statements about the start up costs. It's not all that expensive to get started. Granted you won't have the $500 fly rod, but a spinning combo from Wally World for $25 works too. Heck, you can get a single shot rifle for under $200+$15 for ammo+$30 for tags and you set! The rest is just window dressing.

Again, as with most journalism these days, we only get part of the story. If this were presented as a thesis, the first question I would ask is "What percentage to the persons who hunt and fish are under 18?". That would be followed with something about how many of those between 18 and 25 hunted and/or fished when they were younger and how many persons over 25 hunted and/or fished between the ages of 18 and 25. There are too many bits of the puzzle that are not presented in this picture. I know that I for one did not hunt or fish from the time I was 18 until I was in my early thirties. Not because I didn't know how or because I didn't enjoy it, but because it wasn't convenient during that time.

cool.gif

I guess here in the hills of TN we are just a bunch of hillbilly's. Growing up hunting was always on top of my list of things to do whenever I could. Most all of YoungRobinHood's friends like to hunt. Granted not many of DeerChik's girl friends hunt but she don't care because she will talk about hunting to them and she also like's rubbing in to some of the guy's to.

Like dan I didnt hunt from the time I was 15 until I was in my late 30's. I didnt feel the need during that time. (Wish I did)
However I felt it was a activity that all members of my family could do and enjoy together. Like Meathead I LOVE hunting with my kids. I hope to add other youngsters to that list.
wink.gif

I got this e-mail from the DOW today and thought it fit well with this topic.

The Colorado Division of Wildlife and several private waterfowl organizations teamed up this fall through the Partners in the Field Program to introduce young hunters to the sport of waterfowling. A duck hunt along the South Platte River and a goose hunt outside of Greeley were arranged to introduce some of Colorado’s youth to hunting and to aid them in developing a lifelong passion for the sport. “These hunts are a great way for us to get young hunters in the field that may otherwise not have the opportunity,” said Jim Bulger, Hunting Outreach Program coordinator for the DOW. “These were controlled environments where hunting ethics and safety can be ingrained from the start. We all share in a responsibility to coach, teach and mentor young hunters to ensure the values and heritage of hunting are preserved for future generations.” Twenty-five young hunters participated in the hunts. Parents were encouraged to come along to help teach and enjoy the overall experience of the events. Before the young hunters were allowed to participate, they must pass a hunter education course. They also attend pre-hunt clinics where they learn from experienced hunters about habitat, calling, safety in the blind, shooting skills, hunting strategies and waterfowl habits. Once the hunts began, the young hunters were able to enjoy success that they otherwise may not have been able to on their own. Through the partners in the Field Program, Waterfowl Haven Outfitters, the members of R and R Hunting Club and USA Outdoors donated their time, use of their property and their expertise to ensure that the rookie waterfowlers had a quality experience in the field. This is a great example of the Division working with hunters to secure the future of the hunting lifestyle,” said Bulger. “These volunteers went above and beyond to help these young hunters and hand down their passion for hunting to the younger generation." To read a personal narrative of the hunts that took place by Jim Bulger and to view photos visit the DOW home page at: http://www.wildlife.state.co.us/hunt/index.asp then click on "Hunting Outreach Program." Parties interested in donating resources to the Partners in the Field Program can contact Jim Bulger at (303) 291-7248.

Oak

UT has youth hunts for pheasants and waterfowl. The parents are invited to go along, but are not allowed to hunt.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back