Lopes & Cows...

'Ike'

So I've heard a lil of both, that Antelope will tolerate Cows at a water hole and that they won't...

Hunt, Fin some of you hardcore Lope guys what have you seen...

All depends on the size of the water hole. ;) I have sat a small spring and the damn cows spent all day slurping around that thing, no matter how many times I ran them off. Lopes would come in and stare at the cows, but never come to drink, by day 2 I had enough of those cows and REALLY ran them off :p. Hour later I killed one of my bigger goats an hour before dark.

I have a cow decoy for spot and stalk, seen that thing work awesome, then goats act like my cow had the plague and run for 2 miles of the sight of it while standing within 50 yards of live cows :eek:. That is why they are so fun to hunt, but I definitely prefer stalking them over sitting in the mental asylum sweat box.

They keep it exciting, when the giant bull sticks his nose in the blind and starts sniffing, you can be a sissy boy and run out the back or take your practice arrow and WHACK him on the nose.

I've seen antelope refuse to come in when cows are around and I've seen them run off when cows approach. If in cattle country, be sure to supply yourself with a good stash of throwing sized rocks before you get in the blind. Or a slingshot.

I quit rifle hunting antelope in the late 90's and have only bow hunted them since, both spot and stalk and in blinds over water. In my experiance, they do not tollerate each other very well. You can have one or the other at water in front of your blind, but not both. But if you are seeing antelope that want to come into water and there are cattle there, once the cattle leave, be ready, the lopes come a runnin'!

A few years ago I actually watched a couple cows run a nice 6x6 bull elk off when he came in to a small water hole I was near during a mule deer hunt. I thought it was rather funny that an animal with his headgear would let a cow run him off!

I watched a steer try and pick a fight with a rutted up bull elk. Every time the bull would bugle the steer gave his best bugle back. The two chased each other around for a good hour or so. It was odd to say the least.

I would break out the moo cow decoy. I have had good luck on stalks using it when cows are in the same pasture. Way more fun then sitting water.

cow decoys work awesome.I did have a nice buck coming down a trail right to my 30 yard shot the last time I antelope hunted only to have a cow push him away.I've never seen them water at the same time,but this is over small waterholes.I like spot and stalk with my fubu decoy or I just hang it at fence crawl unders and use it as a blind.It attaches to my bow,so if they move away from my crawl under trail, I can follow them for a shot

I watched a steer try and pick a fight with a rutted up bull elk. Every time the bull would bugle the steer gave his best bugle back. The two chased each other around for a good hour or so. It was odd to say the least.

I would pay to see that, sounds friggin hilarious :D

I wonder how antelope tolerate other wild animals at water? a few years back while antelope hunting i had 45 bighorn sheep come in for water but it wasnt when any antelope were there,it was neat but i wasnt able to get a picture at the time.45 big horn sheep was a real rarity to see out here in s e oregon.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back