Looks like I got an Oryx tag...

406LIFE

Got a call from NM Game and Fish:

"This is Chad, from NM Game and Fish."
"Ok." ( Me wondering why their calling having forgotten about the draw.)
"So, I've got some news."
"Ok." (Only bad news comes like this, again wondering why they'd be calling.)
"You were one of our special servicemember lottery winners."
"Really? Who is this?" (Thinking someone pulled a prank, but it was a NM number on the caller ID.)
" This IS NM F&G. Did you want the tag?"
'Yes! I'll get my creditcard."
"Haha, just wait for the coordinator to call you next week, then you can pay."
"You sure, I won't loose the tag? I can pay now."

So, I'm in a bit of disbelief since all my other draws this year were a bust (except WY). Really excited to see some very new country and chase a species I've never actually even seen. $1610 for a tag is more than my ID Moose, but no matter. Now to deep dive on Oryx tactics and strategy.

Congratulations and thanks for your service! I have only been on 2 NM oryx hunts. The first was February 2019 on the Stallion Range when my son drew a broken horn oryx tag. We saw hundreds of oryx and he killed on the last afternoon of the 2.5 day hunt. I thought that they were so cool, I applied for a permit and drew my third choice, an off range hunt this past February. Oh man that was a hunt! We hunted 12 days and saw a total of 2 oryx off range. I killed the second one, a 36" x broken horn cow and felt very fortunate.

I am sure that you will be hunting on one of the ranges and will see lots of oryx. I would recommend that you get some type of an offhand rest as the creosote bushes make it hard to shoot from sitting or prone. I ended up shooting off the top of my sons fully extended tripod. Oryx have amazing vision and can pickup on danger further that another animal I have hunted. It will be a great hunt!

Awesome. Check out the recent Meateater podcast ‘the atomic oryx’ for a lot of helpful info

Have not been on the WSMR in 25 to 30 years. Depredation hunt. In the prehunt meeting, the G&F people thought there were 300-400 animals on the range. First shot, a herd of 250 took off. Lots of area in WSMR; keep moving to till you see oryx.

Good luck and have a fun hunt.

Congrats on the tag!! I had a completely different experience 15 yrs ago. One day hunt “on range”at Red Canyon. 1 day 30 hunters. No cameras and DO NOT touch any ordinance you see on the ground, and we saw a bunch. After orientation it was like a professional bass tournament with everybody leaving at once. Only saw 5 animals all day and shot one with 10 minutes left in the hunt. Spookiest animals I have ever seen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back