Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

looking for trespass fee in nebraska for deer

Danny1788

Looking for a trespass fee for hunting mule deer in nebraska. I've never hunted Ne but would like to try to find a decent muley for my dad and I. Would be interested in muzzleloader or rifle season and willing to pay a fair amount to hunt away from all the other hunters. If anybody has any info or can point me in the direction of anybody please ok me with some info. Thanks Danny

Last edited:
I've hunted Nebraska a few times. Never paid a trespass fee. Always had pretty good luck just knocking on doors and asking for permission.

The Frenchman area is a mule deer conservation area now and has to be specifically drawn. Your best bet for finding a place to hunt is definitely muzzle loader season. Many places are hunted by friends and family during the centerfire season and no one else is allowed. After the centerfire, some places will let you hunt.

Outfitters are leasing up more and more of the land, though. Cabelas is spending big money leasing up real good country and unless you want to lay out the big dollars, you will never see it. The national forest land in north central nebraska is real good from what I am told, but I have never hunted it. I think that it gets hunted pretty hard, but I know they kill some big deer-both mulie and white tail.

Southwest Nebraska holds the biggest deer in the state as far as I am concerned. There are some real corn-fed monsters there, but like I mentioned earlier, it can be difficult to find ground and now it is a special draw because of concerns with herd size.

All of the sandhills region of the state has good bucks, but there again, it is getting more difficult to find a place to hunt. I don't think that Game and Parks maintains any lists of rancher/farmers that allow access for a trespass fee although they should.

I grew up in Nebraska and returned after many years in the southwest. When I was a kid, everybody let you hunt and it was no big deal. I got used to hunting on federal lands in Az and NM and coming back here where access is limited really has dampened my desire to hunt. When I have to start paying to hunt, I am probably going to stop. I guess that paying for everything is the way of the world now, though.

Good luck.

I grew up in SE Nebraska and went to school at Chadron State College. Nearly all of the public land up there is hunted very hard. I chose to hunt muzzleloader season (which at the time was the month of December) to avoid pressure and did have success. I've never seen many deer I'd call trophy worthy up there but a respectable deer can still be found.

There were several large fires up there this summer so you might want to check out any closures if you plan on heading up to Chadron.

Doubt you will have much luck trolling the web to find landowners who do trespass fee hunts. If your serious the suggestion of knocking on doors is your best bet, If you are trying to plan a hunt just spend a few more bucks and do a guided hunt. You will find better mule deer hunting across the border in WY. I propably see 1 mule deer for every 10 whitetails in this area of the state.

Yep. The white tails seem to be taking over the whole state and they push the mulies pretty hard. I agree on the outfitted hunt. There are some good outfitters- some of which occasionally show up on TV-that produce real good mulies.

I think overall, Colorado, Wyoming etc. are a much better bet if you don't want an outfitter. Even if you get permission in the sandhills, hunting that country is no joke if you are not familiar with it. There are many miles of rolling grass hills that all look the same and don't all hold deer.

Thanks for all the great advice fellas, usually hunt Wy but plans fell through this year. Just looking for another quick plan. I'm not really looking to hunt with an outfitter just too much money in my opinion. Muzzleloader is pretty much what I was thinking would be the best any info on that would be great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back