Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Looking for Tent and Bag

blb078

Looking for recommendations on a light weight tent(1man or 2man) and sleeping bag(would prefer 0* ). I would like to keep it under $500 for both of them. The tent I don't mind trying to find on ebay but a bag I definitely want new. Been looking at a Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 or 2 for a tent also was looking at a Eureka! Backcountry 1 which is a little heavier but got good reviews on Amazon. Any other suggestions on a bag or tent, that are very lightweight? thanks

Last edited:
I think anything Big Agnes makes is decent value for what you get. I have a Lynx Pass 1 and have been happy with it, but mine might be for sale now just because after a few years of experience backpack hunting, I think I'm ready to try something minimalist like a bivy or UL tarp.

There are some good threads on sleeping bags if you search for them on here. I'd recommend a down bag unless you spend most your time in the Pacific NW or AK. I have a Northface Beeline 30 which is superlight for early stuff and a Mtn. Hardware Phantom 0 for late season and have been happy with both, but there are tons of viable options out there in my opinion.

If you watch long enough some of the mid to upper end bags will go on sale for pretty reasonable prices. If seems the way upper end stuff like Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering don't go on sale much, but the next tier down will.

The new "water-resistant" down stuff might be worth a look too.

Check out the luna 2& 4 or the little bug out. These shelters are light weight. And between $180 and $225 I think. I think they are the best bang for the money. Lots of options from good companies.

BA Fly creek 2 would be a good quality option and superior to Eureka. You could pick the BA up for 2 bills used pretty easy. Sierra Designs Clip Flash light or Vapor light are a couple other good quality, less expensive, alternatives.

If you will be going out with a partner you might also consider a Golite SL5. Used one on a hunt earlier this year and split the weight. Used treking poles as the center pole and it had mega room for 2 people and gear. I highly recommend it for 2 people.

Don't forget you'll need an insulated pad to go with your bag.
As for the bag I recommend you figure out what kind of sleeper you are and if you have not spent significant time in a mummy bag you should try it 1st.
Agreed with Cabinfever that the Tier II bags such as Marmot & Montbell will go on sale this winter and their high loft down bags would be really good choices. You just missed a 30% off Marmot sale at backcountry.com but I am sure someone will have the 2012 bags on sale soon.

Unless you are are really looking at spending time at sub 20 degree temps a 15 degree high loft down bag in the Tier 1 or 2 category is gonna be your best bet.

BA Fly creek 2 would be a good quality option and superior to Eureka. You could pick the BA up for 2 bills used pretty easy. Sierra Designs Clip Flash light or Vapor light are a couple other good quality, less expensive, alternatives.

If you will be going out with a partner you might also consider a Golite SL5. Used one on a hunt earlier this year and split the weight. Used treking poles as the center pole and it had mega room for 2 people and gear. I highly recommend it for 2 people.

Don't forget you'll need an insulated pad to go with your bag.
As for the bag I recommend you figure out what kind of sleeper you are and if you have not spent significant time in a mummy bag you should try it 1st.
Agreed with Cabinfever that the Tier II bags such as Marmot & Montbell will go on sale this winter and their high loft down bags would be really good choices. You just missed a 30% off Marmot sale at backcountry.com but I am sure someone will have the 2012 bags on sale soon.

Unless you are are really looking at spending time at sub 20 degree temps a 15 degree high loft down bag in the Tier 1 or 2 category is gonna be your best bet.

Is there a huge diff between a 15* and a 0* bag in terms of staying warm? For pads I'm open to suggestions but have been looking at some of the thermarest ones. I was looking at some of the BA bags but I see you put the pad in the bag which wouldn't help me since I roll on to my sides sometimes.

The biggest difference is the temp ratings from the companies. As a general rule the more expensive bags have pretty accurate temp ratings. The lower end bags generally are about 15-20 degrees cooler than their rating.

BA bags are pretty good and that's what I have been using due the extra shoulder room. Depends on how big a guy you are as to whether you'll be able to turn inside the bag. BA bags are a little cooler than their rating IMO.

It's a tough deal to find that right mix of comfort for both sleeping and packing in. I don't have a backpack hunt planned for 2013 but if I did I would be looking at finding a deal on a Montbell SS UL#1 and an ultralite wide pad(Thermarest or Exped) to go with it. The UL series has stretchy material which comfortably conforms to your body.

I've been where you are...trying to get all the gear you need together with limited budget. Consider buying only 1 or 2 pieces of high end gear and renting the rest. If you continue to use it add a piece every year or when you get funds. If you buy low-mid gear you are gonna upgrade anyway.

I was looking at the UL series. Looks like it's roughly 100 bux or so more to save about a pound in weight. Not sure if that's worth it and could just go with the non UL version. Even at 3-3.5 pounds that's still lighter than what I was expecting. I'm not a big guy 5'10" about 165 so I guess every pound will help at some point.

You don't get the stretchy material in the non UL series but it may not be important to you. Marmot Helium is another really nice bag you should look at.

A website called moontrail.com has Montbell stuff on sale sometimes. I wouldn't buy retail on Montbell or Marmot. It will go on sale and you'll be able to get what you want for right around $300.
The winter is when you get the best deals so find what you want and be ready to pounce.

BA Fly Creek UL2. I just purchased it last year and got a killer deal on the bag @ rokslide.com in the forums. Tent and footprint for $250
Went with a sleeping bag from from REI, used on 3 nevada elk hunts this year. Loved it, poured rain on two of the hunts and I was completley dry the entire time. Great tent and bag IMO.

I have a couple of threads here about this subject. Take a look at my profile and check them out.

First link will take you to amazon for some deals on the tent.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...dition=used&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=&startIndex=0

http://www.rei.com/product/807900/kelty-cosmic-down-0-sleeping-bag

One thing to consider... get the lightest best gear you can buy. You'll just upgrade later.

Don't be a wuss, and get the cushy stuff (heavy), you'll end up getting lighter stuff later if you stick with it... Get what works, and what you can live with. You're camping, not vacationing. :D

Think about a bag liner, it adds 5-10 degrees to a bag. Doing so allows you to get a 10-15deg bag (save weight) and then use the liner if you think its going to be colder than your rating. The liner/bag combo vs. a bag with a lower rating is about the same weight, but more versitile. The liner also keeps your bag way cleaner. A bonus on a 7-10 trip. IMO a 0 degree bag is overkill, I have one and rarely use it.

I've got 2 BA tents... they're great tents but you can go lighter most of the time with a tarp/tent or a Go Lite tent. I'm a bit leary of down in a tarp tent or floorless tent depending on location. The Fly creek would be a contender.

Spend the cash and get the lighest stuff you can afford. You should be able to get a tent, bag, and pad and be in the 6-7lb range. The most expensive stuff isn't generally the "best" for your need. You can find some smoking deals on eBay on new/used gear from time to time. Also check out hunting/backpacking forums in the classified sections.

I'm sorry you've been afflicted with this sickness.

Really like my BA Fly Creek UL2 along with a Marmot Lithium. The bag is 0 rated but I use a liner also for some of the above stated reasons. I like the 0 degree bag. I can always unzip if I get too hot but there is not much to do if if it gets too cold and you don't have enough bag. I experienced that directly last year. My hunts have been confined to Oct and Nov in CO.

BA Fly Creek UL2. I just purchased it last year and got a killer deal on the bag @ rokslide.com in the forums. Tent and footprint for $250
Went with a sleeping bag from from REI, used on 3 nevada elk hunts this year. Loved it, poured rain on two of the hunts and I was completley dry the entire time. Great tent and bag IMO.

I have a couple of threads here about this subject. Take a look at my profile and check them out.

First link will take you to amazon for some deals on the tent.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...dition=used&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=&startIndex=0

http://www.rei.com/product/807900/kelty-cosmic-down-0-sleeping-bag

250 for UL2 and footprint is a heck of a deal was that new? Cheapest I've found for both was 300, will keep looking though.

Go check out the Lil' Bug out from Seek Outside. It's a pretty sweet set up and if you get all of the parts you can eventually get to the point where it will house 4 people.

For Base and Vestibule you are looking at right under $300, and you can add a nest later when the budget says yes if you decide you don't like it floorless. Personally floorless is my preference, but some hate it. The nest option inside of a floorlesss shelter really gives you the best of both worlds.

You can buy a pole from them, or use a trekking pole, killing two birds with one stone.

Bambi stew is right as well though on a pad. Make sure and get a quality pad and it will make ALL of the diffference in comfort. BA Air Core are good pads as as well as any of the Neo-Airs.

As far as sleeping bags go I am still using the down bag that I got before my senior year of HS. I have a hard time replacing something that functions as well as it does. For the summer trips all I take is my Kifaru Woobie to be light heading in.

You should be able to get a tent, bag, and pad and be in the 6-7lb range. The most expensive stuff isn't generally the "best" for your need. You can find some smoking deals on eBay on new/used gear from time to time. Also check out hunting/backpacking forums in the classified sections.

I'm sorry you've been afflicted with this sickness.

I don't mind spending a little more, I really don't have a limit due to financial reasons it's more of a limit I'm putting on myself so I don't go overboard. I could even go up to 700-750 for a bag/tent/pad. Never thought of the liner idea is there a specific brand/type I should be looking for? Also in regards to a pad, any recommdations there? Seems like Thermarest is one of the more popular ones?? thx

Last edited:
Last edited:
call and talk with Dan at hunthardcore.com.He will hook you up with a good bag/pad and tent for backpacking.He always gives me killer deals.I like my storm king bag by BA.The pad slips in a pocket at the bottom of the bag so you can't roll off.And, their pads are super comfortable if you ask me.I wouldn't go any less then a 0* bag for late Sept. elk hunting.I also have BA fly creek tent which is great and super fast and easy to set up.All that stuff is lightweight and packs pretty small which is really important if your going in a ways.I think you could get it all for close to the $500 mark

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back