MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Looking for points wisdom...

2rocky

With the Utah applications coming due, I am looking at my points wondering if I've "missed my wave" in the point accumulation for some species.

I look at Utah as a state I would like to hunt for a Trophy animal, but I don't see myself making it an annual trip. I'm turning 40 in a month, and perhaps I will get to hunt UT with my 73 year old father...someday.

Mule Deer and Elk - 8 points for LE deer, and 4 points for elk. I apply and hope to draw every year. I also have 2 general points but I quit buying those.

My Question is am I "pissing in the wind" so to speak continuing to buy points for:
Desert Sheep: 7 points
RM bighorn: 3 points
RM goat: 3 points
Bull Moose: 3 points

?

On the harder to draw tags I apply every year looking at it like I'm buying a lotto ticket.

It wouldn't make sense to buy a point for them, but you have about the same .5% chance to draw those tags about like you do on the states that have random draws like New Mexico and Idaho.

Of course there are some states that this doesn't work in because all the tags are gone to the top preference point holders and none make it to the random draw.

In Utah you always have a chance (however small) of drawing a tag as long as you aren't just buying a point.

2rocky,

Just buying points for sheep, moose, goat, etc. in Utah is probably not going to get you a permit unless you've got a longgg time to draw. I think given your age, I'd continue to apply and gain points though. Who knows whats going to happen long-term, maybe a huge increase in sheep tags, moose tags, etc.

I apply for the tags in Utah for most species rather than just collecting points...you never know when you're going to get drawn in the random.

Good luck.

I have hunted utah deer as a non -res 2 years in a row now during the gen deer hunt,,,my recomondation would be to apply for the easyer to draw hunts in the limited catagorys then apply for the gen deer hunts if you want to hunt utah,I even drew my general deer as a third choice while getting a general deer point last year,odds are pretty steep in the sheep and moose draws,,with the expo tags and sfw taking a bunch of the tags out of the "general"tag pool moose and sheep are slim at best in 20 years.

Utah is a bad investment if starting out on the ground floor. The 5 point pool, when they started multiple species, is huge. The only reason I stay in is due to 18 deer points. Other than that and I'd drop out. They have converted so many tags to auction that the odds are Power Ball these days. Much better ROI elsewhere.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back