Looking for OTC archery elk hunt opportunity for 2022

Sure wish you’d have posted this up before the end of the Colorado draw. Put in for my old OTC that’s now draw.
I’ll be 61 come September and usually hunt alone, but wouldn’t mind company.
Like a 76 year old told me a couple years ago, us old farts have to stick together.
Wave if you see me out there. Good chance I might be. You’ll be able to guess by my plate…. farthest thing from a local! Maybe we’ve even met 🤣

None of my 2 normal hunting buddies are up for a hunt this fall due to other commitments. I ain’t getting any younger at 62 so I don’t want to just hope for next year as nothing in this life is guaranteed. I have inquired to several Colorado outfitters about drop camps so I can save on the wear and tear and avoid carrying an elk out on my back . All have a 2 person minimum, for safety reasons I get that. I’ve been diy archery elk hunting for 25 or so years every 2-3 years. The area I am use to hunting seems over run with folks the last 2 trips so I’m looking to try somewhere new. Didn’t get drawn for Az again so back to OTC back up plan. So that’s my story, I know, sucks to be me right? I would like to find some one a maybe in my age range that I might be able to keep up with if needed ( as I typically hunt somewhat slow ) compared to some young bucks I know. I’m thinking a drop camp 2nd or 3rd week of Sep, Somewhere with OTC either sex elk tags. I’m not willing to sit this season out and I plan to hunt one way or another but would prefer to team up with someone if possible. If this interest anyone, let me know.
I may be interested, am47 years old and am in kinda the same boat. Have an area that I’ve done tons of research on and been to once already.

I may be interested, am47 years old and am in kinda the same boat. Have an area that I’ve done tons of research on and been to once
None of my 2 normal hunting buddies are up for a hunt this fall due to other commitments. I ain’t getting any younger at 62 so I don’t want to just hope for next year as nothing in this life is guaranteed. I have inquired to several Colorado outfitters about drop camps so I can save on the wear and tear and avoid carrying an elk out on my back . All have a 2 person minimum, for safety reasons I get that. I’ve been diy archery elk hunting for 25 or so years every 2-3 years. The area I am use to hunting seems over run with folks the last 2 trips so I’m looking to try somewhere new. Didn’t get drawn for Az again so back to OTC back up plan. So that’s my story, I know, sucks to be me right? I would like to find some one a maybe in my age range that I might be able to keep up with if needed ( as I typically hunt somewhat slow ) compared to some young bucks I know. I’m thinking a drop camp 2nd or 3rd week of Sep, Somewhere with OTC either sex elk tags. I’m not willing to sit this season out and I plan to hunt one way or another but would prefer to team up with someone if possible. If this interest anyone, let me know.
text me at 320-224-8540

Not sure if you cut my reply as I clicked on reply underneath your post but I’m interested you can contact me via text at 320-224-8540

I think I would prefer to be dropped off by horses like in a typical drop camp then left alone without any horses in camp to contend with over renting lamas and being responsible for them all week. I don’t have much experience with horses either but I have rode them a few times
I’ve never done a drop camp, but that seems like it could be great. 2 guided elk hunts and 5 DIY. I worry drop camp is a guy that packs you in, takes your check and says “there’s elk here some times”.

I am 55 and in the same position. My brother used to be my hunting partner but his work situation has changed and he no longer is able to attend. I would definitely be interested.

Not sure if you cut my reply as I clicked on reply underneath your post but I’m interested you can contact me via text at 320-224-8540
I see there are lots of folks in the same boat as I was. I was able to assemble a group and book with an outfitter for a drop camp style hunt. My group is filled up now but there are several guys on this thread still looking, maybe try reaching out as I did or contact some of these guys to see if they are still looking??

I’ve never done a drop camp, but that seems like it could be great. 2 guided elk hunts and 5 DIY. I worry drop camp is a guy that packs you in, takes your check and says “there’s elk here some times”.
I mostly don’t want to haul one out on my back anymore. At least not the entire way. Been there and done that a few times. I don’t want my hand held either. I want to call them in and kill them on my own. Plus Im cheap. Lol.

I am from CA and don't have a tag in CO. If OTC is available for us out of state boys I am totally game. I', 55, and don't have a lot of experience. I offset it with my easy going friendly attitude & sharing the work. Having an OTC tag that would be amazing. If not, it is still a go for me for the experience. call me if you want at 2139220222. doesn't have to be CO. I'm good with AZ too. Not a new member; the site messed up my account with reset

Lotta folks putting their numbers on the wide-open interwebs! 😳
I don't mind if it means finding hunting buddies. Besides, search for your name and see how easily all your personal information is already out there online. Phone number is the least of my worries. Within minutes you can pull your own address, phone number, age, family relations, any other public records from real estate to legal to other matters are all online for the public. That's the sad part. Now why don't you call me and say hi 😁, especially if you're a serial killer when it comes to hunting and fishing 🤣🤣🤣 🦌🦬🐗🐏🐐🦃🐾🦆🦢🐟🐙🦈

Seriously though. If people like yourself (not singling you out) with experience don't give a hand to those who try to learn and better themselves something is not right with that picture. I'm doing my part to reach out to so many. I'm not asking for special spot or secret watering hole information for hunting. Just to get a chance to learn from those who know more and experience the hunt and friendship, even if I don't have a tag. A 20 year old may have a lot more experience than me, hunting from childhood. Like someone else who told me he'd either hunt with his kids or go solo. I just don't ask a 20 YO because I don't want to hold them back, being 55 and all.

I am from CA and don't have a tag in CO. If OTC is available for us out of state boys I am totally game. I', 55, and don't have a lot of experience. I don’t offset it with my easy going friendly attitude & sharing the work. Having an OTC tag that would be amazing. If not, it is still a go for me for the experience. call me if you want at 2139220222. doesn't have to be CO. I'm good with AZ too. Not a new member; the site messed up my account with reset
Seriously though. If people like yourself (not singling you out) with experience don't give a hand to those who try to learn and better themselves something is not right with that picture. I'm doing my part to reach out to so many. I'm not asking for special spot or secret watering hole information for hunting. Just to get a chance to learn from those who know more and experience the hunt and friendship, even if I don't have a tag. A 20 year old may have a lot more experience than me, hunting from childhood. Like someone else who told me he'd either hunt with his kids or go solo. I just don't ask a 20 YO because I don't want to hold them back, being 55 and all.
Depending on how hard you hunt and where you hunt, elk hunting can be seriously strenuous. Some of the hunts I’ve done have pushed me past what I thought I could accomplish. As a result, elk hunting can bring out the worst in us as we are exhausted and sometimes a little edgy. It can put a serious dent in even the best friendships, no matter how gregarious or easy going you might be. You don’t want to share camp in a remote wilderness setting with someone you don’t know well, not that I’ve done it yet, but I’m guessing it could end badly. Just my .02. But I’ll put you on speed dial to come help me carry my meat off the mountain when I need a hand this year😂. Good luck

Some of the hunts I’ve done have pushed me past what I thought I could accomplish. As a result, elk hunting can bring out the worst in us as we are exhausted and sometimes a little edgy. It can put a serious dent in even the best friendships, no matter how gregarious or easy going you might be.

Soooo true. My BIL is one of my best friends and we didn’t hardly speak last year after hunting together in 2020.. were gonna give it another go this fall, though. We both realized that this exact scenario led to our frustrations we took out on each other.

Back