Caribou Gear

Looking for new gun

RyeGuy74

I'm looking at getting a new hunting rifle, I wanna get something bigger than my .308 on the caliber scale but am having a difficult time making a decision. Any ideas?

My next .30 caliber magnum-type will be a .300 PRC. Sounds like it would fit with what you want. That said, I don’t think you could go wrong with that Randy Newberg rifle linked above in .300 Win Mag.

I think if you only have a .308 and want something bigger to have for truly big animals and 400+ yard shooting, the .300 win mag is the logical choice.
Ammo and firearms chambered in .300 wm are found practically every where. Even in many other countries.
A good used rifle can realistically be found easily and at affordable prices.
The Reloaders can load the same bullets in each, reducing what they need to keep on hand. I would suggest 180gr bullet if a person considers doing that.
And I don't personally think that an animal on the planet can live after a .300 win mag bullet passes into it's vitals. Especially if we are talking North America and excluding elephant and hippo.
Though even those animals are probably taken with the .300 wm from time to time.

After 30 years of big game hunting, I find myself turning more and more to the .308.
I'm unabashedly a fan. The .308 has been a very reliable cartridge, been killing big game and bad guys for a lot of years.

That said, if you're good with .30 cal and just want a little more reach-out-and-touch-ya, look at the .300WM or the .300 Short Mag.

Back