Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

looking for great public land bull

. Damn fellows your comments are a little harsh. I Iive in Texas but I would really like to go back to New Mexico or Colorado. As far as preparation we do it!! We spend the better part of the year gathering inforamation.Just thought I might ask for a little advice from fellow hunters. I am not afraid to hike in as far as need be just looking for advice on decent units. Thank you guys who provided constructive feed back. As for the rest. Well just thought fellow outdoors man would be a little more courteous

--

Last edited:
I personally don't think anyone was that harsh. There's nothing wrong with asking for advice...you said you were "looking for a great public land bull". If you ask me you got plenty of advice. It's how we've all done it!

. Damn fellows your comments are a little harsh. I Iive in Texas but I would really like to go back to New Mexico or Colorado. As far as preparation we do it!! We spend the better part of the year gathering inforamation.Just thought I might ask for a little advice from fellow hunters. I am not afraid to hike in as far as need be just looking for advice on decent units. Thank you guys who provided constructive feed back. As for the rest. Well just thought fellow outdoors man would be a little more courteous

--

Most of the people were much nicer than you would find on any other forum. There are fewer big elk than elk hunters and most people spend a LONG time looking for one big elk on public land, let alone a good spot. If you watch hunting forums you will see a thread just like this one about once a month. If I say Custer state park has been traditionally the best unit to get a big bull in SD by the time you become a resident (non-res can't draw) and wait the 102 years it would take for you to draw (statistically) there is a pretty good chance conditions would have changed. I would follow the advice above it's good, and if anyone wants to throw out a honey hole, PLEASE pm me!

--

JL, I'd say that with this crowd you got off pretty light. Ask about equipment, optics, guns, restaurants and meat processors and they will wear you out with advice or suggestions, but when it comes to giving up their honey holes or even general regions, they'd sooner give you the combination to the safe. That one you're gonna have to root out on your own, and oh; never tell anyone you're from Texas, 'cause they'll clam up like a witness to a murder in the hood.

JL, I'd say that with this crowd you got off pretty light. Ask about equipment, optics, guns, restaurants and meat processors and they will wear you out with advice or suggestions, but when it comes to giving up their honey holes or even general regions, they'd sooner give you the combination to the safe. That one you're gonna have to root out on your own, and oh; never tell anyone you're from Texas, 'cause they'll clam up like a witness to a murder in the hood.

I regularily visit several hunting forums and tarheel is right.

Your question is the same one every hunter has. Internet audience will typically help those who have demonstrated effort and diligence, BEFORE the poster makes an inquiry.

If you would have posed the question, "I have researched Unit 16B in NM. It looks to have plenty of access. What have others experienced for hunter/outfitter activity at XXXX trailhead? What are the rules of parking at trailheads?"

You will have demonstrated that you have researched hunting units, probably researched drawing odds, may have looked at maps/Google Earth etc. This is what a DIY hunter does. Part of the satisfaction of eventually being successful on public land is when all of this diligence comes together.

Asking for insight without demonstrating any effort (If you have, this work did not come through in your posts) will get you very little useful info at best. Most likely you will get smart@ss comments or coordinates that will get you wet or runover. Most guys have accumulated their knowledge via research & experience (IE Time, blood,sweat and tears). If a newbie, (Or anybody for that matter) asks a question looking for a gift, most DIY hunters will resent this. (I guess it is human nature). Most guys will help those who have demonstrated they have done prior work to help themselves.

JL, They were not being harsh. You were asking to dance with there girlfriends! LOL There are some great resources to break down an Elk Hunt. The Colorado DOW has maps with ranges of differnt herds on them and they supply odds for drawing good and bad units to hunt.
But, don't expect any answer that will be better than your own boot leather on the grounds that you plan on hunting. I hunt Colorado for Elk and I live in Louisiana.....scouting is HARD! But I have 5 Elk for 10 trips to Colorado. You can do it! John

Get on Google earth, find the steepest, nastiest, darkest hole that has water and feed. Make sure it is inaccessible by a normal human. Thats a good place to start.
Sounds like a place I used to drink beer.

I hear you guys. I should have rephrased my statement. I have experience hunting in New Mexico primarily north. Unit 2b mostly. The mulies are great and we do see some elk on occasion. I heard Southern New Mexico had better quality. I have also heard Colorado is a great place but since I am unfamilar with the state its a little overwhelming. I am not asking anyone to give me their honey holes, Just maybe let me know regions of the state that would be a good start. North South ext. I will probablly end up back at New Mexico. I really have enjoyed hunting there the past several years. I did pull the Harvest reports and their is a wealth of information. Public land is relativley new to me and I am just searching for effecient methods to narrow down the search.
Thanks,
And I am sorry I am from Texas

I think the best thing you can do is chose a state, then pick an area that has decent game numbers and get familiar with it. The secret to hunting public land is learning an area and hunting it effectivly. Everyone wants to kill a BIG animal, but few ever will thats the nature of hunting public land.

I agree most are being too harsh.
I can’t stand these higher than mighty threads, when everyone tries to see who can come up with the best smart a*^ response.
I am fairly new to this forum, and also interested in learning about hunting elk out west.
Based on this thread, not sure I want to ask any questions on this board?
I am also from Texas, and frequent several hunting web sites that are Texas specific. I do not recall near as many smart a%^ remarks as I do on other sites.
Maybe we are just a little more courteous in Texas.

We all are avid outdoorsman, and hunters.
I think we should treat each other with a little respect!
Regardless, I think Randy has a great show, and really enjoy watching it.

I agree most are being too harsh. False, spend a week elk hunting, experience the pain then come on here and tell someone about good places to go
I can’t stand these higher than mighty threads, when everyone tries to see who can come up with the best smart a*^ response. You might not like this website then
I am fairly new to this forum, and also interested in learning about hunting elk out west. Sweet, it is better than just about any other hunting out there, you will be hooked
Based on this thread, not sure I want to ask any questions on this board?Perfect
I am also from Texas, and frequent several hunting web sites that are Texas specific. I do not recall near as many smart a%^ remarks as I do on other sites.We all know Texans stick together
Maybe we are just a little more courteous in Texas.More than likely

We all are avid outdoorsman, and hunters.
I think we should treat each other with a little respect!Excellent, I hope you hang my deer stand in a good spot next fall since you are so giving
Regardless, I think Randy has a great show, and really enjoy watching it.

Please remember, long before the internet, thousands of people headed out west every year to hunt elk with nothing more than a tag, a map, and a self made plan.

Good response..

I was waiting for one of the SENIOR members to respond.
Let see 3456 posts!!
Maybe I should spend less time hunting and more time posting, then I could come up with stuff like that.

Or better yet maybe Randy could get with the moderator and create a thread for smart a## posts only.
That way amauters like me could stay clear of the big dogs.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back