looking for great public land bull

You're making it way too difficult.

Apply for NM...if you dont draw, buy OTC tags in Colorado and go hunt.

Simple.

JL, keep doing your research on NM. They have no points and look at all 3 of your choices. Perceived hunt quality will be reflected in the draw odds. No Cow tags for NR in NM. Search different forums and you'll come away with some units.

I don't hunt CO and have no ideas there.

WY is a state you should buy points for. They have good limited entry units and also have good units included in their GEN areas. You can draw the GEN tag every year if you apply in the "special" (expensive) side of the draw. You could also get a Cow tag every year while building points and learning the unit. At $300 for a Cow tag, it's one of the cheapest hunts going.

I copied this from another forum and I think it may be pertinent. Hope it helps.

Ok, so you just drew the non-resident tag your buddies sister�s ex-boyfriend recommended when the reality hits you�You have no idea where to start to learn the unit. In a panic, you register on twenty internet forums that have �hunt� in their name, and post the same question on each of them:
�Me and a buddy are going to hunt unit xy in Idaho for mule deer. This is my first time hunting in Idaho and I�d really appreciate any help you could give me.�

And the response is the same across all the forums�.NO response.

Well before you drop kick your laptop, think about how you approached the situation. You came into a community of folks, and without any greeting at all asked for their spots they have spent years scouting and refining their tactics in. Would you do this face to face? No.

Here are some ways to get the most out of an internet forum:

1. Introduce yourself. Most forums have a place that new members can introduce themselves and tell a little about their style of hunting and where they are from. Many times you will discover other hunters that live or have family nearby.
2. Use the search function. Forums are made to be a discussion and the search function helps you weed through the variety of topics by focusing on keywords. For example searching on �unit xy Idaho� will bring up past topics on that unit you are interested in.
3. Contribute! Not money, but knowledge. If someone is asking in a topic about some boots or a pack you have experience with, pass on your experience. You don�t have to be a cheerleader and do an ad pitch for it, but a sincere mention about how you think certain aspects could be improved, or a new way to use a product are always appreciated. Congratulate successful hunters that post photos. Believe it or not, folks want to get to know more about the person behind the avatar and internet handle. The more outgoing and sincere you are online, the more other posters will appreciate you. Your personality may come through differently in writing than if you are with your buddies, so lay off the sarcasm until you know other readers will �get it�.
4. Pay attention to the Sections in forums. With the wide variety of topics discussed in a hunting forum, chances are they are categorized. If your question is state specific, try a state section; if it is species specific post it in the deer, or elk section for example.
5. Lay off the Caps Lock. THIS IS YELLING ON THE INTERNET.
6. After you have a few posts and start recognizing other people on the forums, you can share your plans for the upcoming season. After getting acquainted with the other forum members and developing relationships, you will be amazed at how helpful some people can be. Chances are you will have already developed some information about your hunt destination just through using the search functions and ongoing topics.

With these hints, I hope you will be able to use internet forums to your benefit and become a valuable part of the community. Over the years, I�ve hunted, fished, shot archery tournaments and roomed with fellow forum members that became lifelong friends, all because we shared the same interests on an internet forum.

Nice post Z Barebow. To the moderator (Dink?) of the forum.....make this one "sticky" ???

I copied this from another forum and I think it may be pertinent. Hope it helps.

Ok, so you just drew the non-resident tag your buddies sister�s ex-boyfriend recommended when the reality hits you�You have no idea where to start to learn the unit. In a panic, you register on twenty internet forums that have �hunt� in their name, and post the same question on each of them:
�Me and a buddy are going to hunt unit xy in Idaho for mule deer. This is my first time hunting in Idaho and I�d really appreciate any help you could give me.�

And the response is the same across all the forums�.NO response.

Well before you drop kick your laptop, think about how you approached the situation. You came into a community of folks, and without any greeting at all asked for their spots they have spent years scouting and refining their tactics in. Would you do this face to face? No.

Here are some ways to get the most out of an internet forum:

1. Introduce yourself. Most forums have a place that new members can introduce themselves and tell a little about their style of hunting and where they are from. Many times you will discover other hunters that live or have family nearby.
2. Use the search function. Forums are made to be a discussion and the search function helps you weed through the variety of topics by focusing on keywords. For example searching on �unit xy Idaho� will bring up past topics on that unit you are interested in.
3. Contribute! Not money, but knowledge. If someone is asking in a topic about some boots or a pack you have experience with, pass on your experience. You don�t have to be a cheerleader and do an ad pitch for it, but a sincere mention about how you think certain aspects could be improved, or a new way to use a product are always appreciated. Congratulate successful hunters that post photos. Believe it or not, folks want to get to know more about the person behind the avatar and internet handle. The more outgoing and sincere you are online, the more other posters will appreciate you. Your personality may come through differently in writing than if you are with your buddies, so lay off the sarcasm until you know other readers will �get it�.
4. Pay attention to the Sections in forums. With the wide variety of topics discussed in a hunting forum, chances are they are categorized. If your question is state specific, try a state section; if it is species specific post it in the deer, or elk section for example.
5. Lay off the Caps Lock. THIS IS YELLING ON THE INTERNET.
6. After you have a few posts and start recognizing other people on the forums, you can share your plans for the upcoming season. After getting acquainted with the other forum members and developing relationships, you will be amazed at how helpful some people can be. Chances are you will have already developed some information about your hunt destination just through using the search functions and ongoing topics.

With these hints, I hope you will be able to use internet forums to your benefit and become a valuable part of the community. Over the years, I�ve hunted, fished, shot archery tournaments and roomed with fellow forum members that became lifelong friends, all because we shared the same interests on an internet forum.

That's a great response to this hilarious thread. Their are a lot of things in there that I should of done when I joined hunttalk. Hey dink are you guys thinking of adding a section for smart a##es if so I can just book mark it and my browser will take me straight there when I log on. I do waste a lot of time looking for somewhere to be a smart a##.

Hey bud im in my stand right now deer huntin and saw ur post. Youre alkin to some crazy experienced guys here who just like to give each other a hard time. Plain and simple. No worries man. You are on the right track too. It took me four years of failing to succeed just once at a public land bull so im no pro here and a lot of guys on here have way more experience but i went time and time again trying new spots during the rut and the places with good sign and bugling i would go back too and try again. i did this until i found a spot that few peopls knew about that had elk several years in a row until i succeeded. i might also add that some people...offline...will give you pointers about areas that ate good...you should exhaust all of those. i did and that also helped me get into them. just a bit of advice and dont worry about the comments...just pulling your chain is all. alright back to hunting...i think i hear a squirrel that wants to die!!!!!

That's a great response to this hilarious thread. Their are a lot of things in there that I should of done when I joined hunttalk. Hey dink are you guys thinking of adding a section for smart a##es if so I can just book mark it and my browser will take me straight there when I log on. I do waste a lot of time looking for somewhere to be a smart a##.

LOL.... there aren't many Smart azzes here - most are experienced Wise azzes... ;)

Dude... Don't feel bad, I have a lot of posts here, and no one helps me neither. :p

I think Buzz hit it the best. Apply for NM then if you don't draw hunt an OTC tag in Colorado.

Quick Story :

I was bear hunting a dozen years ago and I heard a turkey Gobble as it went to roost. I went home that night, borrowed a shotgun and shells, bought a Decoy from Wal-Mart and hit the Internet to learn how to hunt a turkey. The next day I lucked into a turkey and kilt it. Walking out I saw a guy in a truck and I told him I just kilt me a turkey. Well, I came back the next day and ran into a hounds man hunting bear. He asked if I was hunting bear or Turkey. I had gone back up with a friend to kill us another turkey actually. Well the hounds man said we were in a good area. He heard from a friend who talked to a buddy that a turkey hunter kilt him a turkey on that exact road the day before.

So in <24 hours the talk of the town had several people coming up on that road looking to get them a turkey. My hunt was over to say the least........

Not that I give 2 rats butt hairs about a turkey but could you imagine if you had an area you killed elk in and told someone else ? Now grant it, most here can tell others where they kill their elk and most of the rest of us aren't man enough to hunt there, but it's still the principle.

I thought you guys got off light, especially being from Texas !!!! ;) <---- Notice the wink please

I'd say don't take it personally; joke back with the guys and over time you'll know how and where to go. There is more info on this site then you can find elsewhere. Put in a little leg work and it will all pan out !!

My name is John and I'm a smartass
Hi john I'm Justin and I'm a smart a## also don't be afraid to talk we are all on this thread for the same reason. One day if things pan out I hope to be a wise a## all I can do is practice and work hard to achieve my goals.

310123_260286830686667_236058619776155_686735_1164804118_n.jpg

316079_260286997353317_236058619776155_686746_260168516_n.jpg

382340_260287364019947_236058619776155_686774_1143117758_n.jpg

377490_260287454019938_236058619776155_686782_669111405_n.jpg

How did I miss this train wreck? Maybe one day we can prevent sand in the vagina instead of treating it m

Back