PEAX Equipment

Looking for a new lightweight sleeping bag

I’ve slept with my mummy bag open like mentioned above. That’s an option if I don’t end up getting anything. One thing I need is a better pad. What are you guys using for a pad if you use a quilt or open bag?
I have enough sleep pads to outfit a small army of various makes and models including BA (very poor performance/longevity, I gave up on them, every one leaked eventually at seams), Exped, very nice by heavy, a couple other nemo pads and a few thermarest. We use them a lot with kids and truck camping, and I usually "upgrade" my backpacking pad every couple years. I have since started packing an inflator, and keep the moisture out, also reduces the chance of them getting mold inside.

My favorite and latest is a Nemo Tensor. For me its the lightest most comfortable pad I've used. If its going to be really cold, bring a closed cell matt and put under you. it helps a lot. I always pack 1/3 of a ridge rest with me for extra padding under the hips and also use it for a sitting pad, a drip pan in the bottom of my pack and all sorts of other uses.

My backpacking pad is Thermarest Xtherm, super light and warm.

For truck camping I just picked up a Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated Self Inflating pad, heavy, but seems very comfortable...new and needs a full trip to be sure.

I just took the plunge into a quilt. I chose Katabatic after some research. I hope it works out for me but no real world experience with it yet. It’s not the lightest option but seemed the most versatile and more durable for a minimal weight penalty. I am an active sleeper and my situations vary from ul backpacks to nights in a hot tent.

I’ve slept with my mummy bag open like mentioned above. That’s an option if I don’t end up getting anything. One thing I need is a better pad. What are you guys using for a pad if you use a quilt or open bag?
It's heavier than most but sleep isn't something I want to sacrifice, especially since I only have to carry it on the pack in and out. Some people can sleep anywhere, I'm not that guy.

So none of you have never taken a woman camping it appears. Pile all the pads, comforters, quilts and bags into a tent and something will work.

Otherwise the only lightweight sleeping setup I know is a thermarest and a down mummy bag in very large and warm.
There is no motel in the woods.

I have enough sleep pads to outfit a small army of various makes and models including BA (very poor performance/longevity, I gave up on them, every one leaked eventually at seams),
Yes, but they'll keep sending you new ones with that lifetime warranty. I bought 1. I have 5, all 5 leak, but 1 of them leaks so slow I can make it through the night.

Xtherm will be my next purchase. I've never had a thermorest fail me. My kids are using ones from the 80s.

Yes, but they'll keep sending you new ones with that lifetime warranty. I bought 1. I have 5, all 5 leak, but 1 of them leaks so slow I can make it through the night.
There is nothing more annoying than a leaking sleep pad. :D I had them replace 4-5 as well. I just can't trust them, and won't. Their tents on the other hand are bomb proof. I have and still use 2 that are more than 10 years old. The zipper needs to be replaced on one, but otherwise still running strong.

I have been looking around also. I am a side sleeper as well and struggle with mummy bags. I have seriously been eyeing the Big Agnes Sidewinder. Does anyone happen to have any experience with it by chance? The first bag I've seen designed with side sleepers in mind.
I just looked this up it looks pretty interesting

Xtherm will be my next purchase. I've never had a thermorest fail me. My kids are using ones from the 80s.
Generally speaking I just kinda assume every pad I own has a shelf life and will get retired after a while... and I always carry a patch kit... though usually it's a pin hole leak and those are a SOB to find in the field.

So far my BA has been issue free... the xtherm has been patch.

My BIL went through like 5 exped pads. 🤷‍♂️

Generally speaking I just kinda assume every pad I own has a shelf life and will get retired after a while... and I always carry a patch kit... though usually it's a pin hole leak and those are a SOB to find in the field.

So far my BA has been issue free... the xtherm has been patch.

My BIL went through like 5 exped pads. 🤷‍♂️
I mean yes, I think they all have a shelf life, but it should be more than 1 year, which is about the longest I've gone with my five BAs with them still holding air. I've never been able to find the leaks, though I never try that hard, just request a new one.

I mean yes, I think they all have a shelf life, but it should be more than 1 year, which is about the longest I've gone with my five BAs with them still holding air. I've never been able to find the leaks, though I never try that hard, just request a new one.
Yeah absolutely I think about life span more in terms of days in the woods... something like 90 is probably pretty good for an inflatable.

Agree leaks are super hard you really have to go the bath tub and soap route to have any hope in my experience.

My BA pad was comfortable but not very warm and also sprung the undetectable leak after about 2 years. My first Xtherm was awesome and it’s probably still holding air trapped in a whitebark pine somewhere on the Beartooth plateau. I just bought a second Xtherm to replace it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back