Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Looking for a new lightweight sleeping bag

Also as far as light weight v. temp rating... temp ratings kinda vary by manufacturer just FYI, that being said; I've been contemplating a new bag for years but I haven't really found something that's "better" enough to pay the money.

I considered 0 degree bags, but typically if I'm hunting in 0 degree conditions it's late season and I'm not backpacking and in that case who gives a crap about weight.

I get cold glassing and therefore always have a puffy + puffy pants... seems like a waist of oz not to use the gear you have and sleeping in a puffy + pants easily raises my bag rating 15 degrees maybe more.

Anyway this basically has led me back to a 10-15 degree bag, light enough that you can use it in July but warm enough that I can get buy in late October in CO sleeping with layers.

I'm also seriously considered synthetic, but down has worked for me so far... I think if I was hunting a lot in WA/AK in august I might get a 20 degree synthetic bag? Down is far more compressible than the best synthetic on the market and synthetic tends to deteriorate with lots of compression over time (way faster than down). I switched out my stuff sack for a roll top dry bag.

Not sure what the actual temp was, but was plenty warm and the creek had a good layer of ice across it in the morning.

1660057997390.png

Wish I hadn't bought a 0 degree EE quilt. Too hot for anything warmer than 20.

It all depends on how you sleep, but I can easily adjust my equip if I'm a little hot, but nothing will make you want to quit more than not getting enough sleep because you're cold.
I have 4 sleeping bags, though I probably only need 3, summer bag (cheapish down, 30-ish deg), Winter/fall backpacking 0d Montbell (new), and winter car camping, cabelas -40 or something ridiculous like that. I tried @wllm method of sleeping in my puffy combo, but didn't find it added that much warmth, possibly because it basically compressed it all and the bag when used together.
But if you're a hot sleeper, a quilt might be the ticket. And if you really need a square footbox, I think WM makes some.

If you have wide shoulders like me and want more room, I bought this bag expander. Actually works pretty well. Not the warmest, but good to add a few inches of room to roll over:

Monte Bell down hugger. Pretty darn lightweight. Packs down small like the size of a volleyball. Mine is good down into the teens but there are different levels. It looks kind of like a mommy bag but it’s stitched differently so it stretches so you can spread out in it. It’s a great bag.

Difference between a quilt and just lying underneath unzipped mummy bag w your feet in the bottom?

Haven't spent much time around quilts but interested to learn more from those that have...

I've got a cheapish North Face down 15-20F mummy, and it's been good so far by combining w wearable puffy layers and/or fleece liner, down into single digits.

I have one. I really like it. Not super impressed with the zippers catching if you are trying to get out quickly, but not many are. but no more waking up with zipper arm or side pinch.
Anybody else use the Sidewinder? I've been looking at it but have no previous experience with a mummy style bag.

I too hate mummy bags. I’m a stomach sleeper and move around a lot, and the leg-movement restrictions in mummy bags make it tough to fall asleep sometimes. This will be the next bag I buy:

I have the Revelation, it's one of the best purchases I've made.

Difference between a quilt and just lying underneath unzipped mummy bag w your feet in the bottom?
Feet aren't as confined at the bottom and you dont have the hood over your face to deal with. Slept many nights with mummy draped over me. Slept many nights with a quilt. Both are fine. Quilt is better. IMO

I’ve slept with my mummy bag open like mentioned above. That’s an option if I don’t end up getting anything. One thing I need is a better pad. What are you guys using for a pad if you use a quilt or open bag?

I too hate mummy bags. I’m a stomach sleeper and move around a lot, and the leg-movement restrictions in mummy bags make it tough to fall asleep sometimes. This will be the next bag I buy:

I think I might like one of those....cool concept.

I’ve slept with my mummy bag open like mentioned above. That’s an option if I don’t end up getting anything. One thing I need is a better pad. What are you guys using for a pad if you use a quilt or open bag?
I have a BA Q-core deluxe and a thermarest neo air xtherm.

The BA is way more comfortable and durable, but not quite as warm and a decent bit heavier.

i'd take my 32 degree quilt archery hunting most likely, but those things are breezy and if it gets cold you just can't really wrap yourself in them.

they're for thru hikers allergic to ounces, not hunting IMO.

I've frozen with a quilt in a couple of situations where I didn't have a tent or had a floorless teepee and it was windy, tough to get all the gaps sealed if the wind is whipping, those nights pushed me back to a mummy bag, I can always sleep with it unzipped, or for that matter, some of the real UL mummy bags now don't have a zipper anyway...
for pads I go with a Thermarest Xtherm if I'm carrying it, Exped downmat if I'm at the truck.

I’ve been using my army sleep system bag(s), but I leave them unzipped, and cover up with a woobie. Lots of warmth, but mostly unrestricted.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back