Looking for a new GPS . . .

RUT JUNKEY

Ok guys, I'm looking into buying a new GPS unit that will allow the map chips. I don't want to spend a fortune,(that's my wife's job!) but, I would like a nice one at the same time. So, any and all thoughts/suggestions would be welcomed. I have always had really good luck with the Garmin line, but would like one this time around that will accept the map chips. Thanks guys. RJ

Garmin is the big dog in our area. Tough to really offer any advise without knowing what your full needs/desires are in a GPS. If having a map chip is your main criteria that is one thing, there are a number of good units that will meet that criteria. How about radio communication, or location of other members in your party, picture taking capability, backtracking, etc....

I and my sons are using the garmin 650's. It is capable of telling you exactly where someone is at (very nice in griz country) etc. I am on my 4th GPS and have found that each upgrade has been an improvement - but that all comes at a cost.

It would help to know how you use your current GPS, what additional options you would like, and a ball park figure of the amount of money you would feel comfortable with spending.

PS: you might consider the used market if you know where it is coming from.

Last edited:
You should probably hold off a few months. Word is that GPS technology is about to take a big step up in accuracy and speed. I'm not sure what it is, but all of the guidance types at work are excited about it.

Garmin is the big dog in our area. Tough to really offer any advise without knowing what your full needs/desires are in a GPS. If having a map chip is your main criteria that is one thing, there are a number of good units that will meet that criteria. How about radio communication, or location of other members in your party, picture taking capability, backtracking, etc....

I and my sons are using the garmin 650's. It is capable of telling you exactly where someone is at (very nice in griz country) etc. I am on my 4th GPS and have found that each upgrade has been an improvement - but that all comes at a cost.

It would help to know how you use your current GPS, what additional options you would like, and a ball park figure of the amount of money you would feel comfortable with spending.

PS: you might consider the used market if you know where it is coming from.

I just need one that will show boundries and ability to find my way back out. lol. I use the Garmin e trex for around here in some of the bigger woods or places I'm not real sure of. I would like to use my new one on my out of state hunts, so showing property lines is crucial to me, I don't really care about any of the other as I carry a camera and usually I'm by my self or calling for my Dad or best friend . . so they are close. I'm really not too concerned about the price as long as it gets the job done. ( although $800 + would be hard for me to explain to the wife) lol

I really like my Garmin 62s, which can often be found on sale for ~$200 but if you can wait until the boom that Dan suggests happens, you might score a real deal on 'outdated' technology.

Hey Jeff...I have the 62s as well and it works great...its not state of the art but its really good. I have seen the 62st on sale at Cabela's for around 249.99 check it out. I saw it on sale about a month after purchasing the 62s for $200.00. Both models accept the maps chip.....:cool:

I have the 62S as well. Only thing that I would complain about with it is that the screen is kinda smallish compared to some of the other models Garmin has, but it works fine. I would definitely stick with Garmin since that is what most of the "chip" suppliers recommend to use their products with.

I really like my Oregon 450 and you can pick them up under $200 in many places

How is the battery life on your 450?

There is a guy locally that is selling one that I keep hemming and hawing about but I appreciate the fact that my old garmin legend HCx can go for several days without changing batteries. Granted, I would probably be blown away at the improvements on the newer models.

How is the battery life on your 450?

There is a guy locally that is selling one that I keep hemming and hawing about but I appreciate the fact that my old garmin legend HCx can go for several days without changing batteries. Granted, I would probably be blown away at the improvements on the newer models.

Maybe I got a dud, but the battery life on my 450 is a joke. I've tried every combo and setting I can, and I can't get more than 6 or 7 hours out of it. I don't even try to leave the thing running anymore, just turn it on when I need to check something out.

After using the huntgps app on my phone this year, I feel like I got ripped off buying the garmin last year. It's a way better setup in my opinion.

excellent info guys. Thanks a ton. I'm going to try and look at some this weekend if I get the time. . .Duck's Unlimited dinner Sat night. . .need to get some wood cut. . .etc . . .life! I will let you all know what I go with. Thanks again, RJ

I've got the Montana 650 and use the Hunt GPS maps with it, it is a great set-up. Has a big 4" screen on it. Battery life is great, but it also accepts regular AA's for when your rechargeable goes dead in the backcountry.

I've got the Montana 650 and use the Hunt GPS maps with it, it is a great set-up. Has a big 4" screen on it. Battery life is great, but it also accepts regular AA's for when your rechargeable goes dead in the backcountry.

That is my new set up, also. I used it this year and I prefer it over my old 62ST, which was a bomb proof device that took more abuse than any test Garmin could have devised.

I am very impressed with the battery life on the Montana. I had one of their first touch screens and it was not good on batteries. Huge improvements since then (2009).

Maybe I got a dud, but the battery life on my 450 is a joke. I've tried every combo and setting I can, and I can't get more than 6 or 7 hours out of it. I don't even try to leave the thing running anymore, just turn it on when I need to check something out.

That's odd. My 450t ran all day, for 15 days this year on one set of lithiums.

HuntingGPS chips are awesome. My favorite feature is the chip adaptor, it lets you put the micro SD into the regular SD slot on my computer. It lets you view all the maps on your full size computer monitor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back