Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Long Range Shooters

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Any of you thinking of taking the Thompsons Long Range Shooting course, or know anyone who is?

I have a $200 discount gift certificate for the class, which expires 12/09.

Given my limited talents, I probably need some coaching, but I am sure they would give up on me right away. Besides the fact that they are in Logan, UT which is apretty good drive for me, just to burn some powder.

The first person to PM with their address gets the coupon. I will even pay the 42 cents postage. :D

Ive got one of those coupons to that I will send out if anyone else wants it. I won't be able to go either.

C'mon guys, we're hunters not military snipers. Taking long range shots at unwounded game animals is one of the lowest things we can do.
Tom, if you just want to play there is a very good club in New Braunfuls. Show up on match day and after the shooting is over and the scores are being tallied, talk to the guys that you have just seen shoot well at long range. That will do you more good than most "schools"

350 real yards from a field posistion is a long way. prone maybe out to 450 but a lot can change in the time it takes even a fast moving bullet to travel 450 yards. Don't get me wrong, I'll shoot paper or metal animals out further but not a game animal

350 real yards from a field posistion is a long way. prone maybe out to 450 but a lot can change in the time it takes even a fast moving bullet to travel 450 yards. Don't get me wrong, I'll shoot paper or metal animals out further but not a game animal

Yeh, I agree with field condition ranges, just trying to get you worked up.

I think there are a few reasons why most people, myself included, should not take these shots. That being said, the travel time of the bullet would not be one of those reasons. My 140 gr 7wsm will be out to 450 yards in under 1/2 second.:D Probably about the same time my arrow is in flight out to 30 yards.;)

Didn't you miss a bear when it heard the string snap once? And a half a second? isn't that the time it takes a girl to say "no" to you.:D
Really a 10 or 15 mph wind can (and has) move a bullet a lot in 1/2 second. Errors multiply a lot as distance increases.
I shot a hi-power match in fitful wind when I was starting out, took me two sighters and 8 rounds for score to start cutting the ten ring.
depending on the range flags, I was adjusting my service rifle 12 to 16 clicks. back and forth. chit happens at 600yds.

Didn't you miss a bear when it heard the string snap once? And a half a second? isn't that the time it takes a girl to say "no" to you.:D

No, never missed a bear with my bow. And hell, within 1/2 a second I am done with the girl.hump

Really a 10 or 15 mph wind can (and has) move a bullet a lot in 1/2 second. Errors multiply a lot as distance increases.
Absolutely; wind, distance, shooter, type of rest, etc....all important. Amount of time the bullet is in the air....minor at best.:rolleyes:

Absolutely; wind, distance, shooter, type of rest, etc....all important. Amount of time the bullet is in the air....minor at best.

...even more critical w/ bear spray.;)

...even more critical w/ bear spray.;)
The spray in question is just an empty can I used as a prop. I am sponsored by team Counter Assault. Their product is by far the fastest and quietest bear spray on the market. Take my word for it.;)
BearSpray.gif

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back