Long Range Hunting

This thing is still going?

So if shooting something at 500 is more shooting than hunting what is shooting something from a tree stand over a food plot or a blind over a feeder considered?
lots of people are jealous and haters and look for reason to not value what others legally do. I had a guy tell me once that pheasant hunting with a dog is not hunting!

How about your on an elk at first light and it gets blown by other hunters. Get on them again but again they are pressured and no shot is offered. Finally catch them crossing the canyon and they are on the other side - about to be completely inaccessible. Yes I take that long range shot (640 yards) and do not feel as though I did not hunt that animal.
If you had that same 640 yard shot at first light on undisturbed elk, would you take it?

If you had that same 640 yard shot at first light on undisturbed elk, would you take it?
Been there done that a few times and those bulls are on the wall and in the cook pot. It all depends on conditions and the situation and the setup. I don't need to tell a few of you guys but in all honesty some guys burn such little powder they are less proficient with a rifle at 200yrds than another guy or gal or kid at 600yrds. Heck I have seen guys having trouble loading their gun and issues with unloading. Archery well now thats another issue, how about the 20yrd quartering towards shot??? How about the 35yrd shot on the high anxiety bull or buck thats perfectly broadside? So I have a few pet peeves 1. the daylighting shots over a ridge. 2. Poor firearms handling and kill pictures with weapons pointing in non safe directions. 3. How about the wounding of an animal but then referring to it as a miss and not a cripple.
Nothing unsportsmanlike with a 600 yard shot. It however, is not for everyone.

Nope, I'm getting as close as I can until he seems like he is going to get disturbed. My argument is that situations change while we are hunting - and I think it is a skill to be able to adapt and still make a clean kill. I wish all hunters could stalk within 30 yards AND make 800 yard shots - using each tool in those situations where that particular skill was needed.

Been there done that a few times and those bulls are on the wall and in the cook pot. It all depends on conditions and the situation and the setup. I don't need to tell a few of you guys but in all honesty some guys burn such little powder they are less proficient with a rifle at 200yrds than another guy or gal or kid at 600yrds. Heck I have seen guys having trouble loading their gun and issues with unloading. Archery well now thats another issue, how about the 20yrd quartering towards shot??? How about the 35yrd shot on the high anxiety bull or buck thats perfectly broadside? So I have a few pet peeves 1. the daylighting shots over a ridge. 2. Poor firearms handling and kill pictures with weapons pointing in non safe directions. 3. How about the wounding of an animal but then referring to it as a miss and not a cripple.
Nothing unsportsmanlike with a 600 yard shot. It however, is not for everyone.
Just curious. I hate when people use the excuse of it being last light or hour of the hunt, or what have you, to make long "across the canyon" shots. Doesn't sound like that is your case.

Long range hunting/shooting/whatever you want to call it makes
Just curious. I hate when people use the excuse of it being last light or hour of the hunt, or what have you, to make long "across the canyon" shots. Doesn't sound like that is your case.
90% of the last light calls I have said we are not shooting. Its so situational and less about the yardage but most guys not in the know focus on the yardage or their impose of ethics.

I always enjoy these topics. You see some people say long range isn't ethical. Some say it is. Some say its not hunting. Some say it is hunting. Yet I've never seen a consensus on the yardage a shot becomes long range?

I personally have killed elk at what I consider long range. One bull I was 7 miles in on a day hunt solo. Is that less of a hunt then me shooting a cat out of a tree or a bear over bait? In my mind no. I could take a person that has never hunted before and they could go kill a cat in a tree or a bear over bait with a friend or a guide and still call it hunting. But because I shot an elk at long range it wasn't hunting. Even though I was 7 miles in and solo. Please.

My wife whacked a buck at 413 yards. There was no way to get closer without exposing ourselves. The private property line was 40 yards above it so we couldn't circle around. It was -11 when I left the truck that morning. I'm not waiting all day for that buck to hopefully feed closer in the evening when there is a hay field 40 yards behind it. If my target animal was in that exact scenario except at long range I would take the shot every time if conditions where right. I'm not going to let something walk if I have the skills because some keyboard jockey says its not hunting. I'm sure everyone that says that uses a long bow. I know for sure they don't use a scope on their rifle. I mean how can using a compound bow or a scoped rifle be hunting? Its not as much of a challenge as using a long bow so its obviously not hunting.

I actually do wish there was a way to curb technology when it comes to hunting. It is getting harder and harder to get tags across the west. If there were less or zero rifle tags and more primitive type hunts there would be a lot lower success rate and more opportunity for everyone.

This thing is still going?

So if shooting something at 500 is more shooting than hunting what is shooting something from a tree stand over a food plot or a blind over a feeder considered?
Preparing dinner?

It would be interesting to see how many more tags would be available and how many more hunters would be out there if we all had to use iron sights and round balls.

Jesus! Fwp would have to allow year round hunting 24 hours a day to meet the “population objective”..

The question is would you give up your technology for that? All those 7-08s, and 6.5 MBs and night scopes and all that crap?

I would in a heart beat.

It would be interesting to see how many more tags would be available and how many more hunters would be out there if we all had to use iron sights and round balls.
Thought I was done. You know what Brent? Guys like me that hunt and take it seriously would keep on killing even if we had to use a rock. A bunch of hunters might stop, but I bet guys like the members here would still fill tags. If tomorrow I was told to leave the RUM and the turret twisting scope at home, I don't give a shit. I would pick up the weapon allowed and kill anyway. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back