Long Range Hunting - Real hunting ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems it's become quite fashionable that long range hunting is the epitome of current hunting methodology ! Apparently fair chase is old hat ! Wondering what are your opinions?
[NT]

There are so many that shoot way beyond their ability. The issue isn't bullet drop that's almost a non issue anymore due to rangefinder and cds or bdc scopes. The issue is wind drift that is a difficult thing to do with repeatable accuracy. Not many guys have it figured out but think they do. So you end up with bad hits and that sucks.
Dan

So I killed my bull elk at 625 I have shot up too 700 yards at the range with a standard cross hair 3x9x40. The problem is that people want to impose their way of hunting on you. If you feel coforable with your equipment take the shot. I only took the shot because it was a late season rifle tag and the Bulls weren't letting get within 400. I'm not a long range type of guy but you do what you have to. I usually hunt black powder and shots over 150 are long range.

So I killed my bull elk at 625 I have shot up too 700 yards at the range with a standard cross hair 3x9x40. The problem is that people want to impose their way of hunting on you. If you feel coforable with your equipment take the shot. I only took the shot because it was a late season rifle tag and the Bulls weren't letting get within 400. I'm not a long range type of guy but you do what you have to. I usually hunt black powder and shots over 150 are long range.

Can you tell us how big your dog is?

I have no prob with people shooting that far if they know what they are doing and have the right equipment. I have a prob with every hunting show showing 900 yard shots and 100 bow shots. My self won't shoot over 500 and 50 yards. Everytime I watch those long range hunting shows I wonder how many animals they wound making that show

Shooting,not hunting.IMHO
Funny how folks can't answer a simple yes or no. Right or wrong.
Particularly regarding ethics. Fair chase etc..

When someone come back with...."Depends on what you consider ethical".Or "What is a rule to be followed, or law". I can do it,occationally,it's OK.
To me it means they don't have any.......ethics,honor,integrity.

This is a loaded subject. Years ago, three hundred yards was a long way. Technology has improved to the degree that longer shots are easily possible for those who PRACTICE AND KNOW THEIR EQUIPMENT'S LIMITATIONS. I believe that overall, the long stuff takes a lot away from the hunting aspect and makes it more like shooting targets.

There are instances and terrain where longer shots become more necessary, so it is hard to say what is right or wrong as far as distance. I am pretty comfortable taking a shot under good conditions out to 500 yards. I know my guns and their ballistics. However, there are lots of variables that can make things go wrong at long distance.

Unfortunately, the stupid TV shows are selling the idea that if you buy the expensive shooting systems, you can go out and shoot stuff at 1000 yards. This is the part that I think is just plain wrong. Ethically, it is an endless debate, as there is no right or wrong as far as quality equipment and defined ranges. Although, I am concerned that this new fad has eroded the ethics of hunters.

Yeah!!! I got to see a thread before it got locked out. What's the over/under on when this gets locked? :D

I believe it comes down to the shot. If someone is thinking ( I think I can make that shot and takes it.) He is not thinking about the animal if he misses the kill zone and wounds the animal then what go to the next one. The kill is not the hunt ! I also hate the TV programs that push long range shooting and after the shot START LAUGHING and jump up and down yelling I smoked him. NOT GOOD and I stop watching that show. I will shut up now.

Hunting by definition does not have a range requirement or limitation.

One of the greatest things about hunting, is that within the bounds of law, I can do it how I want to. Your set of personal rules may or may not apply to me. And unlike many that have already posted on this thread, I'm okay with that...

"I have a new custom rifle and so far my longest shot is 200 yds on a cow in the back of the head."

Right there is where I quit reading and where this thread should be locked! Wow, he has a custom rifle and head shoots at 200 yards and.....

"I have a new custom rifle and so far my longest shot is 200 yds on a cow in the back of the head."

Right there is where I quit reading and where this thread should be locked! Wow, he has a custom rifle and head shoots at 200 yards and.....

Really? No lost meat and dropped in her tracks. I knew I shouldn't have posted on this. Too many holier than thous on this thing. Would it of been better if I said I used my grandpas old 30-30 and and shot her in the back of the head at 30 yds? or is the problem with shot placement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back