Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Little Family Tradition

Brian in Montana

You never really know what might stick and wind up having an impact. I'm not entirely sure how this got started, but my wife and I have 3 kids and at some point we started bestowing upon them a "hunting name" based on how they act and what their strengths appear to be when hunting. My oldest daughter we gave the name "Eagle Eye" because she always seemed to be the first to spot the game. Once when dragging out a deer my wife shot, our next oldest walked ahead pointing out all the little trails and best route for me to drag a deer, she earned the name "Path Finder".

It's really funny how even now, my oldest is 15 and not even remotely interested in hunting, Path Finder is 14 (she does hunt), and this has been kind of a big deal for everyone. We often call them by their hunting name when out hunting or camping or whatever. And they call each other by their hunting names. When we gave them there name we did it at the end of a hunt with a brief little ceremony - something like "today you have earned a hunting name, I say to you that you are now Path Finder.".

My youngest earned the name Ridge Runner today and along with killing his first deer, he actually went on quite a bit about it.

It seems a little silly, but it's really something that has stuck with my kids. Probably will be something they never forget.

I think I'll wait a bit to name mine. Right now it would be "loud mouth" and "heavy stepper" I have hope they'll get better with practice. I like the tradition dosen't sound silly at all. Wish my pops would have come up with a cool nickname it was "boy" if he was in a good mood and just went down hill from there. Congratulations to you and your boy I'm sure it'll be a day you both remember.

I think I'll wait a bit to name mine. Right now it would be "loud mouth" and "heavy stepper" I have hope they'll get better with practice. I like the tradition dosen't sound silly at all. Wish my pops would have come up with a cool nickname it was "boy" if he was in a good mood and just went down hill from there. Congratulations to you and your boy I'm sure it'll be a day you both remember.
Same.
Old geezer calls me "boy".

Quite creative Brian.

In some cultures, the “official“ name might change two or three times in a lifetime. In many older African traditions the infant is just named baby boy/girl and not bestowed a “real” name until they reach around two years of age. This prevents burning a family name on a infant who might not make it to toddlerhood.

That's great!
My kids name at this point would be "rock kicker" or possibly "thunder foot"

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back