Little Belt Mountains MT 2017

sak102174

I hope everyone’s season is off to a great start! Mine starts Saturday Sept 16th where I be heading to the Little Belt Mountains. Just checking in to see if anyone has been in the area as of late. How is the smoke in the area? Looks like the closet fire is the Alice creek fire to the west but didn’t know if it was close enough to put any smoke in the belts. I think the whole of Montana is in some phase of a drought, anyone know what the water situation is on the south fork around the Russian flats? Has anyone made it into the lost fork area this year? My main map scouting has been in the Judith WSA and I am slightly concerned about finding water. Lots of intermediate streams on the map but I highly doubt any contain water with the lack of rain. Maybe if I find a water hole somewhere on the lost fork I’ll have a honey hole.

Has all the fire pushed hunters into the area?

Oddly enough there is a pin dropped in google maps for Beaver Creek Outfitters deep into the WSA, I know they run guided hunts out of that area according to their web page but didn’t know if this pin was a camp from past years or just some random pin a google user dropped.

Not a lot of threads out there on the Little bets as it relates to ELK/Mule deer. I have a tag for both so I’ll update this thread when I get back with a scouting report and pics.

Good luck all!

Until we get rain (hopefully getting a good rain Thursday and Friday of this week) you should expect to deal with smoke depending on the day and dry, loud conditions. I hunt further east than the Little Belts and have had a couple mornings of smoke where it's tough to see much beyond 1500 yards. Even if we get rain they don't forecast it'll be enough to put out the fires. I'm anticipating having to battle potential smoke into October. Good luck!

sak102174, if your first name is Dave or Shannon, and you killed the bull my boys called Blackhorns. Call me or shoot me a pm. I have a bit of info that I will share with you on the Little Belts elk. Nash an I will be over there next week. Hope to see you.

I hope everyone’s season is off to a great start! Mine starts Saturday Sept 16th where I be heading to the Little Belt Mountains. Just checking in to see if anyone has been in the area as of late. How is the smoke in the area? Looks like the closet fire is the Alice creek fire to the west but didn’t know if it was close enough to put any smoke in the belts. I think the whole of Montana is in some phase of a drought, anyone know what the water situation is on the south fork around the Russian flats? Has anyone made it into the lost fork area this year? My main map scouting has been in the Judith WSA and I am slightly concerned about finding water. Lots of intermediate streams on the map but I highly doubt any contain water with the lack of rain. Maybe if I find a water hole somewhere on the lost fork I’ll have a honey hole.

Has all the fire pushed hunters into the area?

Oddly enough there is a pin dropped in google maps for Beaver Creek Outfitters deep into the WSA, I know they run guided hunts out of that area according to their web page but didn’t know if this pin was a camp from past years or just some random pin a google user dropped.

Not a lot of threads out there on the Little bets as it relates to ELK/Mule deer. I have a tag for both so I’ll update this thread when I get back with a scouting report and pics.

Good luck all!

Thanks for your post - I'll be in same area but not until rifle opener . Any info u could pass along would be great

sak102174, if your first name is Dave or Shannon, and you killed the bull my boys called Blackhorns. Call me or shoot me a pm. I have a bit of info that I will share with you on the Little Belts elk. Nash an I will be over there next week. Hope to see you.

Sure is Twodots! Sent you an IM.

Smokey as all get out today in the Little Belts. I expect it will be the same tomorrow until it starts raining. Hopefully by Saturday most of the smoke will be gone. Today absolutely sucks though in regards to the smoke. Ash is actually falling out of the air and getting on everything.

thanks all....needless to say I'll be keeping a close eye on this before heading out Saturday. Keeping my fingers crossed that the cooler temps, easterly winds and rain in the forecast will help.

The forecast around Great Falls and south to the Little Belts show up to 1.5 inches of rain possible. Hope that's just the beginning. A second system may be headed that way in a week or so. My area (Seeley) is horrible due to the smoke and has been for 4 or 5 weeks. Pray for snow ;)

looks like Sapphire got some good rain and more to come. Smoke looking good now as well. Game on!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back