Little 2011 antelope

Outdooraddict

Well boys, I had an opportunity to hunt antelope and decided to do it. When I got there, I had dreams of finding a place no one would be- nope. As flat as it is and with the amount of hunters, I couldn't help but feel claustrophobic. My dad and brother went with me to have a good time. As we went into a small draw, we immediately located some animals. I take out the spotting scope and see two nice bucks and a smaller buck chasing a doe. We are the only ones there! So, we're standing there trying to come up with a plan and 2 more trucks appear. They look at us and then they see the antelope. Two minutes later, a group of 3 trucks show up on my right. Same thing. So, I decide to pull around the hill and put a stock on.

As my brother and I left, the other guys take off. At first, I'm a little disappointed because I figure they are trying to get there first. Nope, all of them drive clear around to the other side and are waiting for us to push them. We sneak up over the hill (I guess you could call it a hill) and we are about 350 yards from them- a little too far for me. I sneak to 250, set up my rifle, and this a$$hole drives straight through the prairie (not on the road) running them down. They scatter. He sees me, I flip him the bird, and he shrugs his shoulders. I'm feeling a little better about the situation because I felt like I could have been caught in the middle of a crossfire. I watch the two bigger bucks take off to private, but the little one ran back over the hill. We judged where he was headed, cut him off, and was able to get near my range. I lined him up and dropped him.

He's nothing big- I was happy and disappointed- wish I would have held out for a bigger one. But, then again, I was glad it was over and I didn't get shot. That was a little spooky. Here he is with me, and another with my brother carrying him.

Attachments

• DSC05304_2.JPG
    DSC05304_2.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC05307.JPG
    DSC05307.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 329
He looks like he has some good mass. Congrats on your buck. Your hunt sounds like how I remember duck hunting could be when I would go hunt the public marshes in Cali.

Good lookin' buck considering all the pressure you encountered! Congrats. That looks like no fun carrying him out on your back like that!

Didn't bother me... I let my mule carry him out. Now that I think about it, I need to take my brother out with me more often.

Nothing wrong with that buck. The pressure is a little scary. What state was that?

That would stink to be an antelope and see the 4x4 Calvary has you surrounded then notice foot infantry flanking you and baha bob come flying across the prairie full bast. It would also stink to be in your shoes where you are in the middle of what might turn out to be a blaze of cross fire. Glad you ended up with a buck out of that ordeal.

Hey Oak,

Colorado. Wife won't let me out of the state just yet. I've got a whitetail tag out in Eastern CO, but we'll see how that goes. Between a rough archery season, antelope tag, first rifle cow, and the whitetail- I think I'll have to give something up.

Back