Yeti GOBOX Collection

Light weight .308 lever action suggestions

Lightweight long guns are overrated. They kick harder (= flinch) and they're whippy (= don't float well to a moving target).

You just need to learn to shoot.
My skeet average is solid 22.5 and trap is about the same. I shoot range and field with this 10+ lb A-5 Magnum Twelve.20211031_162235.jpg I have shot countless triples goose hunting with that gun. Shot this buffalo on the fly at 60 yards and put the bullet exactly where I wanted it. Used a borrowed CZ Safari 550 in .375. Not a lightweight gun.IMG_1740(1).JPG
And this gemsbuck incoming full gallop in the chest at less than twenty yards and then again as he ran by through the shoulder in the heart. Shot with my approx 9 lb Springfield.2019-08-24 gemsbuck.jpg Same gun killed this muley on a dead run through the heart at approx 70 yards.16 November 2019.JPG
This coyote two years ago on the run through the heart at fifty yards.20201129_110147.jpg And finally, this nyala last month at just over 100 yards on the run. Blew up his liver and one lung.20220827_130121.jpg
I can only recall missing one running animal. I shot over the back of a Barbary sheep ram in August. Maybe other critters way back when I was young but I don't remember them. I don't miss many shots but I have missed more animals standing than moving. So, I know something about what works and what doesn't. I also have an A-5 Light Twelve and a Citori twelve gauge but don't shoot either nearly as well as the heavy magnum. At station seven skeet I sometimes pull the single targets with that big black gun under my arm. All stations but eight are shot low gun (low as in waist level, not just off the gun). I usually come off the gun after first shot in a pair and remount for the second target. Yeah, I know something about shooting moving targets.

Last edited:
My skeet average is solid 22.5 and trap is about the same. I shoot range and field with this 10+ lb A-5 Magnum Twelve.View attachment 242282 I have shot countless triples goose hunting with that gun. Shot this buffalo on the fly at 60 yards and put the bullet exactly where I wanted it. Used a borrowed CZ Safari 550 in .375. Not a lightweight gun.View attachment 242280
And this gemsbuck incoming full gallop in the chest at less than twenty yards and then again as he ran by through the shoulder in the heart. Shot with my approx 9 lb Springfield.View attachment 242281 Same gun killed this muley on a dead run through the heart at approx 70 yards.View attachment 242283
This coyote two years ago on the run through the heart at fifty yards.View attachment 242286 And finally, this nyala last month at just over 100 yards on the run. Blew up his liver and one lung.View attachment 242287
I can only recall missing one running animal. I shot over the back of a Barbary sheep ram in August. Maybe other critters way back when I was young but I don't remember them. I don't miss many shots but I have missed more animals standing than moving. So, I know something about what works and what doesn't. I also have an A-5 Light Twelve and a Citori twelve gauge but don't shoot either nearly as well as the heavy magnum. At station seven skeet I sometimes pull the single targets with that big black gun under my arm. All stations but eight are shot low gun (low as in waist level, not just off the gun). I usually come off the gun after first shot in a pair and remount for the second target. Yeah, I know something about shooting moving targets.
Impressive lineup. The original inquiry was not based on an inability to shot; here is my elk heart shot from 160 yards using my S&W .243 (love this gun). The .243 weighs in at 7.5 lbs. and is considered on the small caliber end for Elk; my Rem 30.06 weighs almost 9lbs. I was hoping to get input on a .308 that might be lighter weight and easy to wield, since I live in California I wanted a lever action so I could use it for feral pigs. i haven’t ruled out a .270; but .308 ammo seems easier to come by.
I appreciate all the input so far, Thanks…

Attachments

• Heart_shot_243.jpg.JPG
    Heart_shot_243.jpg.JPG
    592.6 KB · Views: 15
Marlin 1893 .30-30. Proven pig and elk rifle. Still works today. .308 bore. :)

Light too.
Thought about the 30-30, but wanted the extended range the .308 offers. Also in Southern California I rarely see 30-30 rounds; .308’s I can find.

top-model 94 32 special- originally my Dad's up to 1972, I used from 1972-1983
ruger model 96 - 44 mag I bought this new in 1996, for my 3 sons, they all started on this
model 81 BLR in 308 circa 1990, my Dad loved my BLR he bought this one for himself.
model 81 BLR IN 308 circa 1980 , I've shot this since 1983

Any one of these for hogs, the 308's for elk. light and accurate.

Attachments

• lever4.jpeg
    lever4.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 7
I own a Browning BLR mdl 81 takedown in 7WSM .... iron sights / accurate ...packs a enough punch ....................... also have a NO. 1 Varmanteer in 243 scoped bull barrel , classic bull barrel , somewhat heavy for some ''''''

BLR Black Label Takedown. Disco, but available used. Weighs 7 lb 5 oz (including the rail) and is plenty accurate. Find a good smith and get a trigger job. Mine's killed every deer or pig I dropped the hammer on.

Back