Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Light Hiking Tent

If it were me I would sacrifice some weight for quality and with a late season hunt snow is possible so You would really be looking at a 4 season tent. Like mentioned above look at the 4 season mountaineering tents they are built to take a shed a snow load as well as points to tie down the tent if the wind starts howling. Also as stated many 2 person light weight tents are 2 real good friends as you will be very close. I would also look at the 3 to 4 mans. Back when I was climbing (many years ago) Mountain Hardware's were one of the best, but this was also pre-Columbia buy out. REI's are great choices as the company backs them up. Treat tents like boots try them on if you can before you buy.

I have been buying tents since the mid 1970's. I buy and resell on ebay. The best tents are vintage made in USA tents if found in good condition. The new tents today are junk, even the North Face, Sierra Designs, etc. They are made in China and the waterproof laminate goes bad after just 1 season in most cases. I have vintage North Face tents from the 80's that the laminate is still strong.

Wish I still had some of my older tents like Glass Eye,but I do like my 8 yr old Kelty .

I looked at the big agnes tents but ended up going with the MSR hubba hubba. I prefer the side entrance and dual vestibules. It also has the option of setting up with just the fly and a foot print. This is awesome for early season hunts to save a pound. Weighs in at just over 3 pounds and right around 2 pounds for the set up with the fly and foot print. I would agree with all the above that it would take a serious emergency to share the tent with another guy though... great for trips with the lady! Good luck!

My current tent is a Nemo Losi. Rated for two people, but the only other person I will share that little space with is my wife! As someone mentioned, the capacity of most two person backpacking tents is overrated. But this is a good tent and the Nemo sleep pads are top notch.

To me, hunting is different than just backpacking. We pack in and set up a base camp for hunting. Day hunts out of camp require minimal pack weight. On typical backpacking trips we are carrying fully loaded packs all day every day, so weight is a bigger concern. With that in mind, especially since weather in hunting season is tougher, I am willing to carry a bit more into camp if it means more comfort - a better sleep pad, my own tent(not sharing!), food and extra warm clothes. Not a lot extra. If I am warm, comfortable and well fed I will stay out there longer and hunt harder.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have two 20-something sons who are in excellent shape. So I shame them into carrying some of the heavy stuff. Seems fair, I raised 'em.

I'll post an update after I break it in later this month, but I paid a bit extra to get a tent that I hope to last a lifetime-Hillebergs Anjan2. It's not free standing, but I would have anchored it anyways. Very easy to set up and so far I'm very happy with. It's lightweight too- 4 lbs.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back