Caribou Gear

Light Hiking Tent

SWMontana1

Looking for a light, and reasonably priced 2 man tent to pack into hunting camp... Needs to be able to handle down to about 10 or 20 degrees, and us inside dry :)

I am looking into a couple Kelty options (seem heavy) and also the new Badlands Mirage (seems expensive)... anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek2 and I like it. But it is a lightweight backpack tent. Inner layer is mesh top and outer is the rainfly. Got snowed on last year (~ 10") and had to bump the snow off during the night.

BUT, there is no hunting buddy that I want to be that close to. Most backpacking tents you need to upsize. EX BA FC2 will sleep one. BA FC3 will sleep 2. You get the point. It might be fine it you are hiking some summer trail, but you are hunting and have gear you want inside.

I agree with Z Barebow...if you're talking about a tent for two people, you are going to want a 3-4 man tent. A two man tent is barely comfortable for one person with a bit of gear. You may want to take a look at some of the floorless options if you need it lightweight. Something like a Kifaru Megatarp would also allow you to add a stove to it. It probably doesn't meet the definition of reasonably priced but is definitely light and roomy for two people. A BA Fly Creek 3 would be another option (I have the FC2 and unless you like spooning, no way would you want to be in that tent with another person IMO).

Go Lite Shangri La 2...pitches with trekking poles and use a Tyvek ground cloth. Best I've used and qualifies as ultralight. Have to bivy or go with cuben fiber to get any lighter. Oh, and cheap.

I was issued the Fly Creek 2 for work and have been on 5 3-10 day trips with it...I think it's an ok tent for the price. I've had troubles with the zippers catching the fabric also with the interior fabric sagging a little. I've never had a leak issue even during a 4 day rain. Like Z Barebow said, I know very few people with whom I'd share that tight space (hunting would not be on my mind in that case ;))

I'm also in the market for a light backpacking tent and am considering 3 person 4-season tents that have the ability to add an ultralight stove like those offered on the Seek Outside website. Or possibly look into a tent with a bigger vestibule for more storage.

Temperature rating on a tent is really irrelevant. Make sure you have a good pad and bag rated for cold weather. A tent that seals up to keep the snow from blowing in will help a bit with temperature, but not much. Also a small candle burning will help take the chill off as well.

Lots of good options out there. I've got half a dozen tents. I usually use a Big Agnes Copper Spur 3, plenty of room for 2 guys and gear. Another option as mentioned above is the Go Lite SG2, not as much room as the BA, but not bad considering the weight.

Good luck on your trip.

I would agree with Dihardhunter, and take a look at the GoLite Shangri La 2. Base weight of 26-28 ounces, and when pitched with two trekking poles, it can handle quite a bit of rough weather. It is floorless so either go TyVek or polycro, or if you find one, a tent 'footprint' ground cloth that fits the dimensions.
Floorless for some people is too exposed, but you will find it is actually very good on hunts with gear, muddy boots, etc. A really good sleeping pad/bag combo, and you can handle just about anything.
Good luck!

Thanks for all the info... a little hesitant to go floorless in November in Montana at 7-8k in the mountains. A 2 person tent wouldn't be so bad because I will either be by myself of with my wife- so being snug to that sort of hunting partner isn't too much of a problem.

The main problem I see is cost vs. weight... looks like I might need to pack a few more pounds to make the budget....

All I'm really concerned with is the wife not getting cold or wet, while not breaking the bank.... have a good pad and bags.....

thanks everyone!

As others have said - lots of good options out there. The tipi option isn't bad in the winter. Tent floors don't add much warmth - only a protection against moisture. If you throw a drop cloth down it can reduce weight yet still give you a decent nights sleep.

I do have a North Face VE-25. Picked it up off ebay 10 years or so ago. It is my go-to cold weather tent. I have spent many a night in it in your neck of the woods (SW MT) in the middle of winter. It is a little heavy (9 lbs or so, if I recall correctly). But I don't mind the weight during that time of year.

I personally would not want to use a tent without a floor - if you get a big-time downpour you will have water running under your tent.

Check out the alps mountaineering outfitter pro tents. They are on the heavy side but reasonablypriced on amazon.com and have super heavy floors and zippers. May be worth the extra weight for a hunting tent.

...If you throw a drop cloth down it can reduce weight yet still give you a decent nights sleep.

I like the Shangri - La w/ a stove jack installed. As for floors... I do not use a floor. To each his or her own. Like yourself using a drop cloth, I used to pack a bivy sack with the Shangri - La my friend had. If not necessary for or too tired to set up the tipi, the bivys came out. With the tipi, the bivys still come out... just inside the tent. Adds a bit of warmth and simplifies the deal re: floors, etc - w/ more versatility.

I'm not sure if you're near one of the REI stores, butthey are a great place to see several different tents and tent styles. The ones near me allow you to set up any tent you want and crawl around a bit. Everything has a lifetime warranty and you can find everything from cheap to made of gold and everything in between.

I think you will quickly find the things that make a difference and the things you sacrifice when choosing quality vs value.

It was already said, but tents aren't rated by temp. They give season ratings only because 4 season tents are designed to handle a snowload and some of them offer open floor panels for in tent cooking.

My requirements for a tent are a freestanding tent with 2 doors, vestibule for each door, and a full coverage fly (a fly that reaches all the way to the ground).
- Freestanding means if you were set up on rock and couldn't pound in stakes, you still have a tent that doesn't fall over.
-Whether camping with your wife or your best buddy, nobody wants to climb over someone else to get in/out.
- Your vestibule is where your boots and pack stay.
- A fly will keep rain and snow from coming into the tent when the wind is strong and keeps the wind out in general and provides a lower profile to shed wind.

I have 3 tents that meet that criteria. A 2 person tent which we jokingly refer to as a 1man/1woman tent. You sleep solo or as a couple, but it is too tight for tow people who are not intimate. I also have a 3 man tent and a 4 man tent. All of mine are REI brand. They are top notch and still have the warranty. They are heavier than the Big Agnes, but still much lighter than most of the similarly priced tents.

If you're worried about keeping your wife warm then warmth rests with sleeping gear and clothing. Make sure you both have high quality sleeping pads and bags. Thats where you will win the battle.

Good luck on your trip. I've winter camped several times in my tents in Northern MN and my 3 season tents have always held up fine. Every tent will need a shake if you get 10" of snow.

I just bought an Alps Mountaineering Zenith 2 man off of Sierra Trading Post. It was $109 to my door. Seems like a decent tent, but we'll find out goat hunting this weekend. Just a hair under 5 pounds (remember the price...) and packs down to 18x6. Not great, but decent. I'm not an ounce counter, but I am a pound counter when the goal is to pack out an elk. Set up was cake, took me 5 minutes my first try, no directions. Rain fly seems solid.

It was either this tent or the Marmot Ajax 2, ($150) which also seemed like a good tent, but was a half pound heavier if I recall. If I don't like my Alps, I'm going to exchange it for the Marmot.

We used a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 earlier during archery season for 2 guys, and it held up great during a very heavy 5 hour rainstorm. Although it weighs 2.5 pounds, I wouldn't recommend something that light weight for a hunting tent. At $400, it literally felt so flimsy that if you brushed it up against a tree branch that it could slice open like a down jacket. Not my cup of tea for that price.

Light is a piece of Tyvek for your sleeping pad.

Next lightest would be a sil-tarp to keep the moisture off you. My sil-tarp weights about 16 ounces.

I also have a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. It weights 1 pound 15 ounces. I like the weight but it was designed to save weight, not comfort.

I have an older Kelty two man which is more comfortable and has side wings for your gear. It weights 4 pounds.

I also have a Mountain Hardware 3 man tent that weights 5 pounds on my scales. I make my kids carry that one.

Camp7.jpg

Dual doors and dual vestibules are crucial for a 2 man tent, especially if you actually want to put 2 guys in it.

I have a Jack Wolfskin Chinook 2 man that I love. Got it while stationed in Italy. Double doors and double vestibules. Went through a pretty hefty thunderstorm last weekend with not a drip or hint of unsteadiness.

I have a kealty 2 man weighs about 4 1/2 lbs have had it in the Artic and Exteme Western AK and it has done great it would be tight for two people may be a one man/one woman tent at best but thats streching it. I paid less than 70 bucks for it on clearance about 4 years ago. Like the basic layout and toughness it provides and not all that heavy really.

Attachments

• Kealty.jpg
    Kealty.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,143
I like the comment about the "flimsy" feel of the UL tents. The BA Copper Spur and all the other UL mountaineering tents have that lightweight feel but I have never had a problem with any of them.

EVen my "store brand" REI tents, the only issue I have had in 8 years is a bent pole when the tent was flattened by 80-100mph winds during a thunderstorm. It was completely my fault as I wasn't expecting storms and I didn't have the rainfly staked out properly. A very desperate attempt to place a stake to a guyline and the tent stood up to the rest of the storm without issue.

I went to REI and they replaced the pole without question. Most tents have good warranties, but a good store may help even more.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back