LH 7mm-08 suggestions?

sdinabilene

After years of shooting righty, I was finally able to borrow a friend's southpaw rifle. And after taking it to the range three times, I've decided to buy my own as my accuracy & precision are both improved. The main intended applications are range and deer, possibly elk someday. I am seeking suggestions on a left-handed 7mm-08 with a free-floating, threaded barrel. Any other option is negotiable.

As it stands, my top three brand choices have a massive price swing.... Ruger (American Predator), Christensen Arms (Mesa), or a HS-Precision rifle. Any inputs on other options, or if the price deltas are worth it?

Did Tikka start to sell threaded as stock? I looked at a couple chambered in 708 and didn't realize they came threaded from factory.

Took a look, and their T3x compact tactical does meet my other criteria. I have heard good things about them and Bergara, although I do tend to skew to domestically made when possible.

Last edited:
Did Tikka start to sell threaded as stock? I looked at a couple chambered in 708 and didn't realize they came threaded from factory.

Took a look, and their T3x compact tactical does meet my other criteria. I have heard good things about them and Bergara, although I do tend to skew to domestically made when possible.
Sorry, missed the threading part. The T3X is not threaded and typically to thin for threading yourself. Their “veil” line is threaded I am pretty sure.

Also little need for a threaded 7mm08 hunting rifle. Very soft shooting.

Ruger American, plenty of threaded options, great price point. Super accurate in my experience.

Tikka T3x Compact Tactical Rifle meets all your criteria. Check with a local gunsmith shop to get a price on threading if that's a requirement. That would open up your options considerably.

The compact tactical is already threaded out of the box; it's the only one from Tikka that is threaded and in 7mm-08. The preference for that is mainly to minimize the need for ear protection on the range. I was a little surprised to see zero inputs on Christensen Arms, given their comparable price and similar MOA guarantee.

The preference for that is mainly to minimize the need for ear protection on the range.

I find myself using my suppressors w/o ear protection at the range less than I would have thought originally. If others are at range at the same time then still need protection- also in the mid 130s while suppressed still enough decibels to make wearing ear protection for more than a few shots a good idea according to OSHA - still the equivalent of operating a jack hammer.

Yeah you’ll still want to wear hearing protection, even with a suppressed rifle.

I mentioned minimizing the need of hearing protection in above post, not eliminating. As in 'I still wear earplugs but have always hated wearing over-the-ear muffs' for extra DB protection. I'd feel comfortable with just plugs and suppressed 708. I even wear plugs with my 22, which some may critique as overboard. But I'd rather have plugs in, than the annoyance of the cleaning/maintenance every 50-100 rounds after trying to shoot a 22 suppressed. I was good on info for hearing protection and suppression, having owned and used both for a number of years. It was the 708 selection and options that were new to me. lol

Browning makes the X-Bolt hunter in a left handed model. Blued or stainles. $900.00-$1,100 range. The chamber it in the 7mm-08.

Back