Lever work

I picked up an 1895 last year, I really want to hunt with it. I haven't been able to find a load that will shoot worth a damn in it. 4 moa at 100 every 4th or 5th group doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I may sell it.

Expensively so Andy.

Another one is Wild West. April directed me to Wild West and Grizzly when I was looking for a 45/70 and Wild Wests "co-pilot" was perfect, except for the price.

I love a lever action and use a Win 71 - 348 for work and hunts. There are still some 71's for sale and they are a nice rifle and caliber. I also like the 348 in the Browning, but again it will have to be bought on the used market as they dont manufacturer them new any longer. Marlin makes nice levers. I also enjoy using the Savage 99 for small game and the Pedersoli we have has also worked well for us.

I picked up an 1895 last year, I really want to hunt with it. I haven't been able to find a load that will shoot worth a damn in it. 4 moa at 100 every 4th or 5th group doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I may sell it.

Sounds reasonably good to me. Go sneak in the bushes and kill something with it. I flinch at least 4 moa when I shoot mine. o_O

QQ

Sounds reasonably good to me. Go sneak in the bushes and kill something with it. I flinch at least 4 moa when I shoot mine. o_O

QQ
If it were consistently in that range maybe. 3 out of 4 times I can't even get a group to work with. I haven't tried many types of ammo yet. I spent most of the spring and summer focusing on my .308. Now that I have some time to start playing with it, ammo is scarce. Hopefully that calms down soon and I can try some other loads. the 300 grain federal is hot garbage, the leverevolution is the stuff I can get to group sometimes.

I wasn't expecting precision performance by any means. I just couldn't be comfortable shooting at game with the equivalent of an Iraqi Ak.

If it were consistently in that range maybe. 3 out of 4 times I can't even get a group to work with. I haven't tried many types of ammo yet. I spent most of the spring and summer focusing on my .308. Now that I have some time to start playing with it, ammo is scarce. Hopefully that calms down soon and I can try some other loads. the 300 grain federal is hot garbage, the leverevolution is the stuff I can get to group sometimes.

Ah, you're saying 4 moa is the best you get, and the others are all worse. In this age of internet super hunters, I'm accustomed to reading it the other way around. Definitely see your point now. Never shot factory ammo in mine, but 350 grain Hornady Interlock flat points shoot good enough for me.

QQ

I just have too much stuff going on and my garage is all ready too packed to get into reloading. I probably should bite the bullet so to speak.

I wasn't expecting precision performance by any means. I just couldn't be comfortable shooting at game with the equivalent of an Iraqi Ak.
Whats the year of manufacture, is it a remlin from before they got their new facility and machinery a handful of years ago?

Thats made from the new facility. Id try a few more types of ammo before giving up on the gun

I just have too much stuff going on and my garage is all ready too packed to get into reloading. I probably should bite the bullet so to speak.
Just know that reloading is its own hobby IN ADDITION TO hunting. It has its own costs, time, searching for components, and making a mess in the house. You cannot load "just enough for hunting" as though you were going to save money or something. The essence of reloading is tinkering with your shooting. It's fun and rewarding, but you're never finished. I've been reloading for a few years, and my family (other than my 45-70) still all carried factory ammo this year.

QQ

PS Edit to add, I've only had to take a gun to the smith once to get pieces put back together, so I'm doing pretty good there.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back