Lever work

Just know that reloading is its own hobby IN ADDITION TO hunting. It has its own costs, time, searching for components, and making a mess in the house. You cannot load "just enough for hunting" as though you were going to save money or something. The essence of reloading is tinkering with your shooting. It's fun and rewarding, but you're never finished. I've been reloading for a few years, and my family (other than my 45-70) still all carried factory ammo this year.

QQ
Yeah, I get that. Big part of the reason I haven't gone down that road yet.

Another one is Wild West. April directed me to Wild West and Grizzly when I was looking for a 45/70 and Wild Wests "co-pilot" was perfect, except for the price.
Yep, initially was considering some fitment spit shine & maybe an alum follower...hell I could've bought another 1895. But their gallery was niiiice....

Yep, initially was considering some fitment spit shine & maybe an alum follower...hell I could've bought another 1895. But their gallery was niiiice....
Whenever I receive a "road map" to a question I ask her, I know I am going to like the pictures but will not be able to afford the item in question :) Kind of like her "there are Chevys and there are chevys:cool:

D. Kruger, Big Horn was another one where I knew I was out of my league when they listed "additions" that were available, for a price that would be added to the base price if you wanted it.

It reminded me of the old joke. These glasses are only 250 dollars and after you agree to buy them, --"and if you want the lenses in them, it is another 250 dollars"

but like others here, I enjoy looking at the pictures

Love this thread! Great to see so many still hunting with leverguns! It has long been my desire to hunt with a levergun in order to experience hunting the way my grandfather did a hundred years ago. To that end I even purchased a Marlin 336 and a Marlin 1895. However, for the last 15 years or so I've hunted exclusively with archery gear and just never got around to hunting with the leverguns. To make a long story short, though, I ended up with shoulder injury this summer that did not allow me to shoot my bow. So that injury provided me with the opportunity to finally hunt with a levergun this fall. I wish I could post some harvest pics but the truth is I was unsuccessful in my hunt. Even so, I had a great time and I'm already eagerly looking forward to hunting with my leverguns next fall. Before this year my last hunt with a firearm was in 2006. So my plan now is to spend the off season putting in frequent sessions at the rifle range with both my 30-30 and 45-70 in anticipation of next year's hunts.

Attachments

• IMG_20201119_101533_825.jpg
    IMG_20201119_101533_825.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 7
Well, this isn't what you were all thinking of, but there is a lever and it is a Winchester.

From this evening.

78LdJfu.jpg

When not carrying the flintlock I use either my winchester model 88 in .308 (1956, 2nd year of production) or my early 50s 336 in 30-30. The problem with rifle season is which one to tote, I love em all.

Gorgeous, I'd be afraid to scratch it.
No you wouldn't. It goes hunting all the time and has killed countless squirrels. It is also a serious match rifle and the only gun that I own which swings both ways. Needless to say, most to of the wear is from matches.

Your 300 is the classic
its been my "collectors" goal to own a savage 99 in the four savage calibers: 303, 300, 250-3000, and 22 hi-power. have the first three, just need a 22 hi-power. never seen one in the local gun shops and i am NOT going to pay the online gunbroker prices for one.

got a side project to turn an old 303 savage that i found at an estate sale auction last fall. stock was cracked up, forend was pretty beat up as well, and the bluing was mostly gone with a few spots of surface rust. auctioneer wouldn't let me examine it up close/look inside the bore before bidding so i tossed up a $25 bid (no one had bid yet). turns out no one else wanted it and i won it for that opening $25 bid!

ordered a replacement stock/forend on Gunstock.com and sent the metal parts off to be professionally cleaned/re-blued. already had a couple boxes of 303 ammo from buffaloarms.com so i'm gonna turn this into a neat little brush gun. i'll post pictures once completed.

its been my "collectors" goal to own a savage 99 in the four savage calibers: 303, 300, 250-3000, and 22 hi-power. have the first three, just need a 22 hi-power. never seen one in the local gun shops and i am NOT going to pay the online gunbroker prices for one.

got a side project to turn an old 303 savage that i found at an estate sale auction last fall. stock was cracked up, forend was pretty beat up as well, and the bluing was mostly gone with a few spots of surface rust. auctioneer wouldn't let me examine it up close/look inside the bore before bidding so i tossed up a $25 bid (no one had bid yet). turns out no one else wanted it and i won it for that opening $25 bid!

ordered a replacement stock/forend on Gunstock.com and sent the metal parts off to be professionally cleaned/re-blued. already had a couple boxes of 303 ammo from buffaloarms.com so i'm gonna turn this into a neat little brush gun. i'll post pictures once completed.
UPDATE! Got a wonderful July 4th holiday surprise! Went out of town to celebrate the 4th with family. While there made a run for some last minute fireworks on Friday and stopped into a little gun shop. They had a handful of ol' 99's on the wall and to my complete surprise one of them turned out to be chambered in 22 Hi-Power. Could have knocked me over with a feather! The price was right and needless to say it came home with me. I now own a Savage 99 in the four original Savage calibers: 303, 300, 250-3000, and 22 hi-power! Happy July 4th everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_20220704_214945481.jpg
    IMG_20220704_214945481.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back