Lever Action

I put down a doe with my 38-40 1894 Marlin. It wasn't much of a shot or much of a doe, but the bullet did whistle on through without pause and did the job just fine. It got me to thinking that it might be a really fun gun to legitimately hunt with so it might find itself out in the field sometime this fall, depending on what we can draw.

I went through a phase where I had to have one. I got it and then realized I didn't have the eyesight to shoot open sights and it never felt comfortable with a scope. So I traded it off to get a light handy bolt action. I always found myself pulling the gun down to work the action just as I would a bolt gun anyway.

My kids both love them though. One has a 336 in a .35 rem and the other has a 94 in a .307. both neat calibers. The .307 was about a decade too late to be as famous as it should've been. That's my humble opinion.

My main gun for bear, deer, elk, etc (unless 200+ yard shots are expected) is a Marlin 1895 45-70 guide. It has a fixed 4x scope, laminated stock and a big loop lever. It consistently shoots 1"-1 1/2" 100 yard groups with a 350 grain interlock at 2000fps. And a 405 grain hard cast lead bullets at 1800fps. It packs quite the wallop. I always have a smile lobbing lead downrange with that thing. Of all the guns I have owned it is the one I wont get rid of.

I love that. Shooting your first deer with a gun that isn't even in the vocabulary of deer hunters ty. That's pretty darn cool
It was a doe that was at least 3 feet away. The 25-20 is the last round on the right, big one106644

I took my last bull moose with my BLR in 270wsm. I have a Henry 41 mag and Win 44 mag for hog hunting and a neat little Henry 17 HMR for varmints. My Win 22 mag is a great shooting rifle as well.
We probably have at least a dozen lever action rifles from 17 HMR to 454 casull.

thanks guys, I enjoyed reading your responses --more lever uses than I expected

walking bird--4 generations--love it
grey rider, congrats on the bear
squirrel , love the 250-3000
harley, tell you wife, I love her home--oh your rifle is nice too (-;--you got me on the trout line !
viking guy, hsi-esi, ajax----it is good to know that the lever is still loved so much by some
Brent, you and those stupid tree rats LOL
wytex--you win, damn that is a collection. congratulations My husband, went through, a lot of levers, but didn't keep them all. congrats on the bull moose
oleefish--that is a blast from the past, very nice
tar heel, good luck
hunting wife--started with a 45/70---that will do it (-;
Ajrickets, cool, dont ever let it leave the family
Scary--that works
Greyman, one down 5000 to go
zpooch--nice speed goat congrats

I am sure I missed someone and if so please forgive me--I am old, tired, not feeling well and had too much pain medicine ( scotch ), and I am suppose be searching for a motorcycle with a sidecar for sale in Italy, but I enjoy your posts a bit more. thanks to all who responded

Last edited:
I started with my uncles Win. Model 92 ,32-20.
Still have the Win. 94 30-30 I bought in Butte the day Nixon resigned @ the Woolworths used gun rack.
Taken bunnies to a couple bulls with it.
Always wanted a 45-70,maybe even a Henry...

I think many get their start with 30/30 lever guns. My first rifle I could afford was a Marlin 30/30 lever that was a return at Service Merchandise. I watched it drop in price until I saw it was $125. I bought it and used it to shoot wild hogs for five years. I never scoped it. I haven't hunted with it since about 1990.
Currently I do a hunt once a year in Ohio where I use a Marlin Lever in 444. Im not a fan of lever actions and much prefer a bolt action. But it works pretty good from 12 yards.
But F5366726-1061-428B-89C5-E3C567529843.jpegBDF580D8-9EE1-4E2A-A55A-BE100E3EDE21.jpegFD252653-9554-4966-82E2-560FA77D0FE1.jpeg

Last edited:
started on a model 94 32 special at 13 yrs old , ten yrs later I picked up a browning BLR in a 308 and I have never put it down i'm 57 yr old now.

I havent shot my old 94 in 30 yrs, it's in the cabinet cleaned, oiled and ready just can't put the 308 down.

started on a model 94 32 special at 13 yrs old , ten yrs later I picked up a browning BLR in a 308 and I have never put it down i'm 57 yr old now.

I havent shot my old 94 in 30 yrs, it's in the cabinet cleaned, oiled and ready just can't put the 308 down.

I have done the same thing with the 348. It is a easy carry all purpose rifle inside 200 yards, brown bear, moose, caribou, deer, wolf

After mule deer season ended last October I decided to challenge myself to fill my tag with a November whitetail, iron sites style. This is my buddies Marlin 30-30, shot was around 75 yards. Not great in the antlers, but the hunt was super fun with a good hike and a crazy stalk at the end. Leverevolutions did the trick and the backstrap was awesome! I've taken a buck antelope with this rifle as well.

1119181653.jpg

Europe,
Once again you raise a thought provoking thread.
Myself, I've come really close to buying a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt.
I have my bolt guns for the long open shots, but where 100 yards on a good day is the theme, a decent lever in 45 Colt seems the perfect choice.
My neighbor has a Savage 99 in 243 Win. He "lost" a deer with it, so has become a safe queen.
He has been saying about selling it. Told him to let me know, we'll haggle then. :D:

The Rossi 454 is a great rifle, we have 2 of them. Too bad they are not making them anymore. A .45 should be a good one as well.

I am not feeling like a teenager today so will just say ----thank you ! to all who responded to this thread. Some very interesting posts, rifles and information---thank you all!!!!!!

elk duds and other 99 fans--my son picked up an old 99 300 takedown with a 410 barrel several years ago. It was in a case, but we dont think it came in the case it is in now-- but an interestingly rifle/shotgun

std7mag--thank you !

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back