Lever Action

I have a Marlin .30-30 and a Browning BLR .22.
They don’t get to hunt a whole lot.

Would like a .38-55. (Current one is a single shot). Would also like a .358 WIN.

Our family .22LR when I was a kid was a Rem Nylon 66.

All of us took our first deer with a 1916 dated Winchester 1894 in .30 WCF. (aka 30/30) It is in my safe today. It turned out to be a rare version and is ironically worth more than any of the bolt actions or pump shotguns in there with it.
It has probably killed more deer as well.

I started each of my three sons and my granddaughter on Ithaca Model 49 single shot lever 22LR. MY oldest pawned his, so there are three of those left in the safe.

I won a RMEF Life Member Winchester 1886 in 45-70 at a banquet, but sold it NIB because I did not like the tang safety which the lawyers have added to the re-introduction models.

I wouldn't say no to a stainless Marlin in 358Win.

I'm still dreaming of acquiring a JM stamped Marlin 1895XLR in 45-70 and fitting it with the big loop lever and extended magazine.

A few months ago I bought myself a Henry Small Game rifle with the octagon barrels and large loop (living my childhood western movie fantasy here). It has quickly become my absolute favorite firearm to shoot, I'm planning to put the hurt on some squirrels and grouse this fall...

four pages and I am the only one who likes and uses a Win 71. :cry:

admittedly the recoil is stout, they are heavy, ammo is hard to come by if you dont reload , scope is possible but not not as simple as most rifles, and they are getting expensive,

but except for that ;)

oh well, I am already in the minority here on the forum ( female, Indian, likes Wolves, hunt seals and eats moose nose ), so what the heck

admittedly the recoil is stout, they are heavy, ammo is hard to come by if you dont reload , scope is possible but not not as simple as most rifles, and they are getting expensive,

but except for that ;)

oh well, I am already in the minority here on the forum ( female, Indian, likes Wolves, hunt seals and eats moose nose ), so what the heck

I wouldn't say "no" to one. ;) Too bad they are getting so precious

eats moose nose

I would try it! How is it cooked? Boil the snot out of it? (sorry, reading too many dad jokes) Really, how is it prepared?

My 1895 Cowboy was bought from a very good friend and I won't even buy ammo just to keep from wanting to try it out. Now, if I ever do make the move to Alaska that may change!

but except for that ;)

This is one of the best post this year! Keep on being you, I always enjoy your perspective.

but except for that ;)

I kinda think you like marching to your own drumbeat there. ;)

Lots of people like old guns and particularly old lever guns but very few actually use them. Panda, you are not in that category. The 71 is a bit modern for me, but I'd use it in a pinch :)

I need to choose a coastal black bear gun for Alaska next spring. A lever action is on the top of that list, but it will be a Marlin 1895 (a real '95) in .45-70. It's pre1900, but just barely.

We drew Wyoming mulies and will I will hunt them with a singleshot of some sort, but we also drew antelope doe tags (2 each). Thinking maybe a pistol caliber 1894 Marlin lever gun there (.38-40) to make it interesting.

Dave, :) but actually you are right. First you singe or peel off the hair and then boil it with as many difference spices as you have, plus onions, pieces of moose lips, garlic etc etc. Then it depends on whether it will be snacks for the trail or Sunday dinner, on how it is prepared after it is all boiled .

Brent, maybe ;) Good luck on your bear and antelope hunt. Cool choice of weapons !

Gave my son a BLR in 30-06 which has taken 1 elk and 2 deer. The feature I like about the BLR is that the trigger travels along with the lever. Cons are that it’s awkward to carry. The fore stock is too beefy and the receiver to tall. You can’t comfortably carry it in hand. My main shooter is a JC Higgins model 45 in .35 Rem. (336). I’ll shoot deer out to 300 with the Hornady lever evolution ammo and elk or even a moose out to 200. It’s a great all around hunting round. I mounted a fixed 6 Barska red dot style scope on the receiver which doesn’t interfere with my ability to easily carry it in hand all day. It’s been customized by me to handle any weather as well. I despise the cross bolt safety on a lever gun and won’t have it.

IMG_1002 (2).jpg

Last edited:
My first 20 years of deer hunting were with a first year Model 88 Winchester. Me, my dad, my brother, grandfather, and great-grandfather all had one. Great gun, it’s basically a bolt gun with a lever, locking lugs just like a bolt gun.

I currently only own one, which was my great-grandfather’s, he had bought it new in 1955, first model year, serial number is 4 digits, in .308 Win. They were not necessarily known for great accuracy, but this one loves my hand loads.

I know true lever guys don’t consider it a “lever gun”, but it shoots, cycles rounds with a lever......so it’s a lever gun.

Dave, :) but actually you are right. First you singe or peel off the hair and then boil it with as many difference spices as you have, plus onions, pieces of moose lips, garlic etc etc. Then it depends on whether it will be snacks for the trail or Sunday dinner, on how it is prepared after it is all boiled .

Brent, maybe ;) Good luck on your bear and antelope hunt. Cool choice of weapons !
OK, that's how I like my deer hearts! Minus the lips, anyway. :cool: Simmered in beef broth with onion, garlic, peppercorns until done. Cooled, then sliced, reheated and made into a sandwich with a slice of cheese. Yum!

Someday, one day, IF a moose is in my future, I may have to try it. At least I have a rifle for it!

Dave if my memory serves me correctly you have plans on moving to Alaska. When you get there you will find moose are not to hard to find, so I am sure there is one in your future -- hope so anyway

Brent. a coastal black bear in Alaska will be so much fun for you. But while your there you might as well hunt a coastal brown bear also. They are fun hunts.

I was asked privately so will answer here. No I do not use the 71 for goat and sheep. I use a 275 H & H. i also use the 275 on "dedicated" wolf and caribou hunts. It has a fixed power scope on it .

Who else hunts with a lever ? Maybe some hog hunters in Texas ?

Brent. a coastal black bear in Alaska will be so much fun for you. But while your there you might as well hunt a coastal brown bear also. They are fun hunts.
I can believe the coastal browns would be fun to hunt, but they are not in my financial wheelhouse in several dimensions and would also require hunting with a guide, which I would rather not do. So Ursa americanus will have to do.

Back