Leupold VX3i vs Vortex Viper HS

I am looking to upgrade my scope and like these two. Does anybody have any experience with either of these two scopes? Any recommendations? They both have the magnification that I am looking for, from what I have seen they are the same price, and when I couldn't tell a difference between them when I looked through them side by side. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have some experience with both. Its more or less a brand issue. Which ever one you like best is the one for you. I really cant tell the difference. My brother has the leupold on his .338WM and I have the Vortex on one of my .30-06's. If it was me I would take the Vortex just because over half of my optics are Vortex and their customer service is excellent. I'm not saying Leupold's isn't. I just have more experience with Vortex.

Leupold's customer service is hard to beat, and my bet is you would need it less. That being said PM me for a price and I bet I could sway you into the Leupold.

I've been a Leupold fan and user long before Fin made em cool. Not saying anything negative about Vortex..have a few buds who like em.

I had an experience with Leupold today.

This morning I wrote them, and said I was going to chronograph the muzzle velocity of my round, and then I would have all the data to cut a CDS. I need it by next week, so I asked if it could be rushed, and offered to pay to speed it up and pay extra for faster shipping. They said they thought they could get it done.

I sent the email back with all my data at 2:27
At 3:55 I received an email saying that it would be shipping today free of charge............

Another Leupold story that I think I've told on here once in another thread...
I inherited a savage 99 .308 when my grandfather passed away. He was a logger. A friend in a logging camp got in a bit of drinking and fighting trouble. My grandpa bailed him out of jail. The guy didn't have the money to pay him back, so he gave him this gun. It had a Leupold straight 4x on it. This was in 1957- ish and the gun was not new at that time.
I used to hunt with this gun. About 9-10 years ago the scope started fogging up when it'd go from warm pickup to cold outside. I sent it in, and was told by Leupold a few days later to pick out the VX-2 I wanted and they'd get a new one on its way.
I didn't want a new one because of the sentimental value, so I said no thanks and just send the scope back. To my surprise, not only was it fixed when it came back, it was all polished up and looked brand new.

In 2070 will Vortex still be backing the scopes they are selling today? Will there still be a Vortex?

Last edited:
I would check the eye relief on both. Take the one with the most. If you are mounting it on a hard recoiling magnum it will avoid your getting a "magnum eyebrow". I have several half moon scars from close encounters of the eyepiece kind. The worst from a Swarovski that I received while shooting a BC black bear in an avalanche chute. I was dazed and blind from the blood, but the 250 gr Nosler partition did its job, thank God. GJ

This is a small potatoes story but I think speaks to a corporate ethic and therefore customer service. I once had more rifles than scopes and switched a scope around a couple of times. In the process I ended up losing the little mounting screws for the bases. It was a Leupold set. When I gave up looking for the screws, I called Leupold and told them what had happened and I that needed to order a new set of screws. The customer service rep told me he would send me a set that day and that there would be no charge. I reminded him that there was no defect and that I had lost the screws and I didn't mind paying for them. He said it was no problem, don't worry about it, got my address and sent the screws on the way. I had them a few days later. I didn't even pay postage.

I buy only Leupold now.
HD

This debate happens on hunting forums ad nauseam, but at the same time it's good to ask fellow hunters their experiences. Between my sons and I, we have a bunch of rifle scopes, binos and a spotter from Vortex. I've never needed their customer service, but have heard very good reports from those that have. I've got Leupold scopes that are old to very new, never used their customer service because never needed it either. Both are very very good companies, both have loyal followers and haters alike. Flip a coin if nothing else about one or the other sways your opinion. However, do send schmalts, Predator Optics, a PM. Schmalts is great to work with and I highly recommend giving him a shot. You're going to get a great scope with whichever one you choose.

Both are really good companies. I worked in retail when vortex first started out, we had a few issues with our first bacth of optics we received. It took a while to get replacements, but we got them free of charge. I doubted them for a while, but in the next 2.5yrs I worked there I didn't see another significant issue with them. To speak a bit to their customer service. I have a friend who was kicked by a mule, he got it square in the chest. Interestingly enough. That kick just happened to land on his vortex binos, split them in half at the hinge (quite possibly saving his life...) Vortex replaced them free of charge, and sent him 5 or 6 free hats and some decals for the cool story. You are not going to go wrong with either company. Were I in your shoes, I'd shoot Schmalts a pm. He is definitely a good dude!!

Brand aside, my eyes say the VX3i is better than the Vortex Viper HST I had side by side at the range. In real world use it likely would have made a difference but its noticeable when you go from one to the other.

Company reputations aside. The viper is a 30mm tube; which gains you some adjustability, but also makes it bulkier.

I am generally inclined toward a more compact package, so the Leupold that is an inch short and over a quarter pound lighter, and can be mounted low to the bore wins in my book.

I own both. Leupold is lighter. I think Vortex stands behind there products better then Leupold. Look at range finders and you will find Vortex is completely covered for the life, Leupold is 3 years on electronics. I like and use both company. Flip a coin. If weight is a factor go with Leupold.

Leupold but both are great companies with great products. I have had great experience with Leupold standing behind the product.

I looked at those 2 scopes last year and ended up buying the VX3i with the 30 mm tube from Schmalts. I have it on a Remington 700 BDL 7 mm. I haven't used Vortex scopes, but I have used Leupold and I have not had any problems so I didn't see a reason to change brands. I shot a few deer with it last year between 60 and 230 yds so I didn't get a chance to use the CDS. If I buy another scope in the future, I'd probably go with Leupold again because they work for me and I haven't had any problems.

Back