Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Leupold vx3hd cds

golfer

looking at picking up a vx3hd. 4.5-14 with cds. For those of you who have used the cds how reliable is it if the info you put in is solid? Also how well does the scope focus without a parallax knob. Looking for all pros and cons. Thanks.

Have a bunch of CDS they plain work, buy it and have fun, we were shooting steel on Sunday and the 14yr old would range and dial he was accurately hitting steal at 560yrd with his Kimber hunter in 7-08.

I have a VX3I 4.5-14x40 CDS. I had it on my old Model 70 chambered in 300 WBY. The dial was calibrated to a 180 Nosler partition at 3163fps. I put it on a new Vanguard in 300 WBY. I also changed loads to 180 Barnes TTSX. Velocity is unverified but the manual says 3145fps with IMR 7828 @ 84.0 grains. I shot it today to check the dial for correct drop. Sighted in at 200yards, dialed to 300 yards and was 3 inches high, 400 yards 2 inches high, 500 yards 4 1/2 inches high. The BC of the 180 partition is .474 and the 180 TTSX is .484. For now I will keep this dial on and adjust by dialing a little less yardage at the extended range if needed. The longest shot I've taken on a elk is 416 yards and it was DRT with my old Model 70 and this scope.
So yes I believe the CDS system works and I trust it too 500 yards as that is the farthest I've confirmed the drop to so far. Also take note that the 500 yard shot had a lot of mirage and it was hard to see the (POA) spot.

Dan

I have a VX3I 4.5-14x40 CDS. I had it on my old Model 70 chambered in 300 WBY. The dial was calibrated to a 180 Nosler partition at 3163fps. I put it on a new Vanguard in 300 WBY. I also changed loads to 180 Barnes TTSX. Velocity is unverified but the manual says 3145fps with IMR 7828 @ 84.0 grains. I shot it today to check the dial for correct drop. Sighted in at 200yards, dialed to 300 yards and was 3 inches high, 400 yards 2 inches high, 500 yards 4 1/2 inches high. The BC of the 180 partition is .474 and the 180 TTSX is .484. For now I will keep this dial on and adjust by dialing a little less yardage at the extended range if needed. The longest shot I've taken on a elk is 416 yards and it was DRT with my old Model 70 and this scope.
So yes I believe the CDS system works and I trust it too 500 yards as that is the farthest I've confirmed the drop to so far. Also take note that the 500 yard shot had a lot of mirage and it was hard to see the (POA) spot.

Dan
How many shots did you run through a chronograph to get your average velocity for your dial?

I believe I fired 10 rounds to get the avg. 3163. My current load has not been chronographed. The 3145 fps is from the Barnes loading manual and has not been verified.

Dan

The more accurate your info is when you order the dial, the better off you will be. Trusting what the ammo box says rather than using a chrono is going to have more error

looking at picking up a vx3hd. 4.5-14 with cds. For those of you who have used the cds how reliable is it if the info you put in is solid? Also how well does the scope focus without a parallax knob. Looking for all pros and cons. Thanks.
Never had one myself, but from what I've seen it can cause errors in bang bang situations. If you set the dial to 450 and the elk is really at 350 but you were in a rush you're going to miss.

Other than that aspect of it, it seems like a fantastic system, just can't make quick long shots really.

Again, my 3rd person view of the system

Never had one myself, but from what I've seen it can cause errors in bang bang situations. If you set the dial to 450 and the elk is really at 350 but you were in a rush you're going to miss.

Other than that aspect of it, it seems like a fantastic system, just can't make quick long shots really.

Again, my 3rd person view of the system
To be fair, I'm gonna miss a rushed shot at 450 with any system...

I just got the CDS turret back for the new VX3i I put on my .270win.

It was too foggy to do much past 450 yards but it was true as could be.

Where I hunt that will be just fine.

To be fair
letterkenny-to-be-fair.gif

So bonehead question. These scopes come set at 0. If I need to intially adjust down with the elevation cap do you have to take the cap off?

So bonehead question. These scopes come set at 0. If I need to intially adjust down with the elevation cap do you have to take the cap off?
Just undo the turret cap and set it in the middle of the rotation so you have wiggle room both up and down. Once zeroed, reset to the zero stop.

I have a vx 3 hd 4.5-14x 40 mm cds with Boone and Crocket reticle. I rely on the reticle more than the cds system…. It seems that it takes One round to jar the reticle into making the jump to the adjustment… Anyone else have this trouble with the cds system?

I have a 180623 windplex still NIB sitting on my bench that I got from Schmaltz last year. Have not decided yet how to use. Getting close to being able to head out to the range again tho.

So I went out with it this morning and the first 2 shots were about 18 inches high at 100 yards. When I depressed the zero lock button it was not possible to turn it in order to decrease elevation. So what do I do now? I have other scopes with zero lock and never had issues adjusting in either direction.

So I went out with it this morning and the first 2 shots were about 18 inches high at 100 yards. When I depressed the zero lock button it was not possible to turn it in order to decrease elevation. So what do I do now? I have other scopes with zero lock and never had issues adjusting in either direction.
You have to remove the cap because of the zero stop. It’s in the directions.

Thanks. I'll check it out. I don't recall having to do that in the past. The previous one apparently needed elevation as opposed to shooting too high to begin with. That knob if you want to call it that certainly turns hard with the fingers. We'll see at the range next time out.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back