Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Leupold VX-3i or VX-5HD, which one?

I just sold a rifle topped with a VX-5, hated to see it go was one of the best scopes I ever had. Now have to replace it, I think Im gonna buy the exact one and maybe even replace a few Nikons I have.

New member here, just wanted to thank everyone here for recommending @schmalts...he truly is "the man"! Just received a new Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x 56mm from @schmalts via Fed Ex today. Great guy to deal with, fast shipping, and outstanding prices!
vx5hd1.jpgvx5hd2.jpg

Last edited:
Funny, I asked the same question about the same scopes on a different forum Thursday. Has 34 responses as of this morning and about a third say that Leupold is junk. All kinds of horror stories. Won’t track, won’t hold zero. I’ve only had one scope fail, a Simmons 44mag on a 300 RUM. Inevitably right!
Pulled the trigger on a VX5HD from the classifieds over there. They’re hate for Leupold got me a great deal.
There are a couple of forums who jump on folks who even mention Leupold. When I had my custom rifles made many years ago, my smith mentioned a certain forum, and said, anything other than Nightforce would be trashed, but for the money he would buy Leupold Mark IV (remember, this was a while ago). And he generally makes BIG magnums.

Everyone has their opinions. From my experience, I have owned quite a few Leupolds, and have never had a problem with any of them, and have been a happy camper! I have also owned Swarovski, Zeiss, Nikon, Redfield, Bushnell, and others. Love my Leupolds!

Just got a vx3i 3.5-10x40 in. It seems to have finicky eye relief and an unforgiving eye box. I have not been able to mount it on a rifle yet so the lack of a proper cheek weld to a stock may be the issue as i am just holding it up in the air.

Anyone else have issues with eye box on the vx3i? Toying with the idea to trade up to a vx5hd before i mount it

Just got a vx3i 3.5-10x40 in. It seems to have finicky eye relief and an unforgiving eye box. I have not been able to mount it on a rifle yet so the lack of a proper cheek weld to a stock may be the issue as i am just holding it up in the air.

Anyone else have issues with eye box on the vx3i? Toying with the idea to trade up to a vx5hd before i mount it
A buddy of mine bought a 4.5-14x40 and said the same thing. I currently have it on my .280 to see if I experience the same thing.

No issues and yes, freehanding has the issues you described.

I hope to head to the range tomorrow to do some initial checks on tracking.
Which model? Mine is the Zstop, 30mm SF CDL Windplex..same power as yours...on a .257 Bee. The only thing that'd make me happier would be a Firedot.

Which model? Mine is the Zstop, 30mm SF CDL Windplex..same power as yours...on a .257 Bee. The only thing that'd make me happier would be a Firedot.
It doesn't have the Z stop, it's about 2-3 years old. It's a one inch tube 4.5.14x40 CDS with the windplex reticle.

Get the VX5HD for sure. Better glass and all the bells and whistles. Awesome scope. I have one on my 7mm mag. I highly recommend it.

blacksheep

I have two VX5HD 3-15X44 with the fire dot, if your budget permits go with the vx5 all day long. You will not regret it, and I am someone who used to work for a living and clearly remember the first time I could afford a LEUPOLD.

I have two VX5HD 3-15X44 with the fire dot, if your budget permits go with the vx5 all day long. You will not regret it, and I am someone who used to work for a living and clearly remember the first time I could afford a LEUPOLD.

I have one of those, and one of those with a 56 mm obj...they rock!

Back