Leupold VX-3i or VX-5HD, which one?

rmagnus

Looking for some opinions from those who have used the Leupold VX-3i and VX-5HD scopes.

Recently added a Tikka T3 300Win Mag to the arsenal for a dedicated Elk rifle. Now I’m looking to purchase a scope for it. It will be zeroed for 200 yards. I expect shots to be less than 300 yards but would like the option to reach out a bit further maybe up to 500 yards (which is why I went with the 300 Win Mag). I hunt primarily in the Western states but would love to get back to Alaska again.

The two I have in mind are the:
VX-3i 4.5X14X40 CDS Side Focus or
VX5HD 3X15X44 CDS Side Focus.

Just wondering what the real word difference is besides price between the two. One assumes the quality will be better in the VX5HD but is it apparent. If the price differental was lets say $300 would it be better to step up to the VX5HD?

I’ve read some opinions on the Wind Plex reticle in another thread and curious if the cross hairs are similar thickness to the Duplex version.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have both of the scopes you’ve listed. For the type of shooting you’ll be doing the VX3i will be just fine. They’re nice scopes. That being said, the VX5 is to me clearer and brighter, and has more forgiving eye relief and seems to offer a larger field of view, which makes target acquisition easier at higher magnification. If you’re willing to spend the extra on the VX5, I doubt you’d be disappointed that you did—it’s an awesome scope. The crosshairs on both windplex and duplex reticles are pretty similar. I prefer the windplex.

I have a vx-3i nonCDS and several VX5HD. The big difference is glass quality and glass coatings. As rtraverdavis mentions - brighter, clearer, better fov and eye relief. The 5HD also has the zero lock and a few other improvements, but the value in my eyes is the glass. Get a good price on the 5HD from @schmalts and never look back.

I have two non-CDS 3.5-10x40 VX-3i’s and a 2-10x42 VX5HD with the CDS-ZL2 turret. All are great scopes and hold zero reliably, with very good glass (slight edge to the VX-5HD there). I like the simplicity and light weight of the 3i’s and use them under 400 yards. I set my .300 Win Mag up for longer shots if need be, and for that I spin turrets on the VX-5, which has tracked very reliably for me.

I have a vx-3i nonCDS and several VX5HD. The big difference is glass quality and glass coatings. As rtraverdavis mentions - brighter, clearer, better fov and eye relief. The 5HD also has the zero lock and a few other improvements, but the value in my eyes is the glass. Get a good price on the 5HD from @schmalts and never look back.

All good points especially the eye relief. All things being equal I’d rather save the money and spend it elsewhere but $300 isn’t the end of the world.

Forgive the dumb question but who is schmalts? I’m guessing a member that supports this forum and is a vendor? Website?

All good points especially the eye relief. All things being equal I’d rather save the money and spend it elsewhere but $300 isn’t the end of the world.

Forgive the dumb question but who is schmalts? I’m guessing a member that supports this forum and is a vendor? Website?
He runs Predator Optics, will get you a killer price, and is a regular contributor to Hunt Talk. @schmalts

Last edited:

He is both a member and a vendor - many many of us have gotten great deals from him. I typically believe online pricing tends to level out so I rarely expect "below market pricing", but @schmalts has delivered uniquely low pricing every time - to not buy leupold or meopta from him is just throwing money away - especially on the pricier stuff.

He is both a member and a vendor - many many of us have gotten great deals from him. I typically believe online pricing tends to level out so I rarely expect "below market pricing", but @schmalts has delivered uniquely low pricing every time - to not buy leupold or meopta from him is just throwing money away - especially on the pricier stuff.
Appreciate it will contact him.

I was in the exact position you are in earlier this year and went with the VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS side focus. I then used the money I saved to pick up a Leupold Delta Point pro for a handgun I have and some ammo. If I were to do it all over again I would do the same thing. I really like the VX3i. Its lighter than the VX5 and I saved like 10oz switching to it from the Vortex I had. It made a huge difference. The VX5 is an extremely nice scope but the VX3 isn't far behind. Clarity and low light visibility is way better than anything else I looked at in that price range. If you are worried about money or weight I say VX3.

I was in the exact position you are in earlier this year and went with the VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS side focus. I then used the money I saved to pick up a Leupold Delta Point pro for a handgun I have and some ammo. If I were to do it all over again I would do the same thing. I really like the VX3i. Its lighter than the VX5 and I saved like 10oz switching to it from the Vortex I had. It made a huge difference. The VX5 is an extremely nice scope but the VX3 isn't far behind. Clarity and low light visibility is way better than anything else I looked at in that price range. If you are worried about money or weight I say VX3.

You bring up good points. Saving money is always smart and yes I am updating some older equipment where like you this would be handy. Weight is different but heavier may be better in this case being a 300 WinMag. The Tikka T3 is a pretty light rifle to start with. Having a wider FOV range is a plus with the VX-5HD, an advantage of 19.6 feet on the low end and .6 feet on the high end. Now I know that's not exactly apples to apples comparison because of the magnification difference but it's still a wider FOV.

The thing that I noticed more than anything is the eye relief. Surprisingly the advantage goes to the VX-3i. On low settings it's 4.4" vs 3.7" almost 3/4" which is significant IMO and that's with a higher magnification on the low end of the VX-3i. This is one measurement where sixe matters, lol. Maybe the eye relief thing is a function of the VX-5HD being almost an inch longer than the 3i but in the end the eye relief is less for the VX-5HD, the scope I was leaning towards. Not sure if I'm over thinking it or not on eye relief but .70 inches seems significant.

I think I may wait to pick up the rifle and dry fit a spare scope to get a better idea.

If in your price range the VX-5 is the clear winner. I don't think there is a bigger quality jump in the Leupold line than between the 2 scopes you are asking about. However the price difference is bigger as well.

I understand but in this case I don't think price isn't the determining factor.

My two top tools wear VXR w/FDot and VX3i SF WPlex both 30mm tube, both CDS....as I've posted, if 3Xi offered FireDot, that's what they'd all wear. Do have a 5 and a 6...good glass, FDot, ZStop on the 5, first gen 6, but on the heavy side and not as easy to mount IMO.

My two top tools wear VXR w/FDot and VX3i SF WPlex both 30mm tube, both CDS....as I've posted, if 3Xi offered FireDot, that's what they'd all wear. Do have a 5 and a 6...good glass, FDot, ZStop on the 5, first gen 6, but on the heavy side and not as easy to mount IMO.
What are the challenges of mounting the 5 & 6?

What are the challenges of mounting the 5 & 6?
I can't speak for Harley, but in my experience, their "bells" are fairly flared/tubes a little short. No problem if you are mounting via picatinny rail, but didn't allow for a lot of "travel" to find eye relief on my tikkas with direct Warne mounts.

I can't speak for Harley, but in my experience, their "bells" are fairly flared/tubes a little short. No problem if you are mounting via picatinny rail, but didn't allow for a lot of "travel" to find eye relief on my tikkas with direct Warne mounts.

I thought that might be the case. I've got a Tikka T3 with Warne mounts as well. I was planning on trying the Game Reaper mount on this rifle but have never used it on a Tikka before. That may be another advantage for the 3i since its a 40mm bell vs 44mm. I want to stay with low rings.

I thought that might be the case. I've got a Tikka T3 with Warne mounts as well. I was planning on trying the Game Reaper mount on this rifle but have never used it on a Tikka before. That may be another advantage for the 3i since its a 40mm bell vs 44mm. I want to stay with low rings.
I just moved to picatinny for everything overtime. Not as clean and added a few ounces, but simplified mounting, adjusting and generally moving scopes around on various rifles.

I just moved to picatinny for everything overtime. Not as clean and added a few ounces, but simplified mounting, adjusting and generally moving scopes around on various rifles.

If I were moving to medium or higher rings I’d definitely use a Picitinny rail. Never had issues with Warne or Weaver steel rings.

Back