Caribou Gear

Leupold VX-3i or VX-5HD, which one?

Having both scopes I would point you to the vx-5. It’s lower profile and a bit lighter. They are both amazing scopes though.

Well played sir. I hope @schmalts made the choice easy for you.
the more the scope costs the more money I can save a guy. I kind of cap my markup at a certain point so my prices will be more impressive on the more expensive items than the lower priced items. I say this so guys don't expect the world of savings on a VX-freedom, but once you get over that 600.00 mark sometimes guys start to get suspicious over the price quotes because of the savings;) This is response to a guy who owns a lot of VX-6 scopes.....LOL

the more the scope costs the more money I can save a guy. I kind of cap my markup at a certain point so my prices will be more impressive on the more expensive items than the lower priced items. I say this so guys don't expect the world of savings on a VX-freedom, but once you get over that 600.00 mark sometimes guys start to get suspicious over the price quotes because of the savings;) This is response to a guy who owns a lot of VX-6 scopes.....LOL
They've already killed animals in Africa and WY with many more memories to come.

I have a vx-3i nonCDS and several VX5HD. The big difference is glass quality and glass coatings. As rtraverdavis mentions - brighter, clearer, better fov and eye relief. The 5HD also has the zero lock and a few other improvements, but the value in my eyes is the glass. Get a good price on the 5HD from @schmalts and never look back.

Yep. Just got another VX5-HD from him 2 days ago.

Last edited:
I have a VX3i 4.5-14 x 40 # 170702 which is no longer available. The only one they list is the # 177820 which has the Windplex. If you opt for that you should be able to get one for under $525 shipped, close to what I paid for mine. The VX5-HD #171715 is pretty nice. If twas me I'd go with that. Schmalts is the man.

I own two vx 3, 3.5 x10 x40 with cds, a 2x10 vx5hd with cds, a vx6 with cds amongst other vx3 models and some other brands including a swarovski z3 and a Leica er5. If you can afford it I would go with the vx5hd. The 3 is a good scope but tne 5 is noticebly better. One aspect of the 5 that I like is the etched glass reticle. The 3 is a wire reticle It works fine but the 5 works better in low light. Add in the better coatings, glass and other refinements I think you won't be disappointed in a 5.

I have a VX3i 4.5-14 x 40 # 170702 which is no longer available. The only one they list is the # 177820 which has the Windplex. If you opt for that you should be able to get one for under $525 shipped, close to what I paid for mine. The VX5-HD #171715 is pretty nice. If twas me I'd go with that. Schmalts is the man.
I looked for this and its $949.00. Where can I find 171715 for under $600?

If in your price range the VX-5 is the clear winner. I don't think there is a bigger quality jump in the Leupold line than between the 2 scopes you are asking about. However the price difference is bigger as well.

Just a quick fowwowup. Now I better understand your above comment. Nothing against the VX3i but there is a lot of value for the money in the VX5HD. Love the clarity and I took a chance on the WindPlex reticle and am please with it as well. Your service was impeccable. Many thanks.

Hope Turkey season works out for you.

Funny, I asked the same question about the same scopes on a different forum Thursday. Has 34 responses as of this morning and about a third say that Leupold is junk. All kinds of horror stories. Won’t track, won’t hold zero. I’ve only had one scope fail, a Simmons 44mag on a 300 RUM. Inevitably right!
Pulled the trigger on a VX5HD from the classifieds over there. They’re hate for Leupold got me a great deal.

Working on building up my kit for elk season and stumbled across this thread (sorry to dig it up from the graves). Looks like the consensus is the VX-5HD. What is the preferred reticle?

For reference, this will be going on Savage 110 High Country in 300WM.

Working on building up my kit for elk season and stumbled across this thread (sorry to dig it up from the graves). Looks like the consensus is the VX-5HD. What is the preferred reticle?

For reference, this will be going on Savage 110 High Country in 300WM.
Both are nice. I went with the VX-5HD. Couldn’t ask for any better performance from a scope. The windplex reticle is what I decided on and really like it. The CDS dial is a no brainer so I just deal with wind now. The windplex helps with the hold adjustment. The clarity of the glass is what’s so impressive. I hunted late Oct in CO last year (full moon) and I could see well after legal shooting light. Granted the moon helped but we had heavy cloud cover from snow and this lens just flat out performed. If you can afford the 5HD get it you won’t look back. I put this on a Tikka T3 300WM and get sub 1/2”MOA.

Both are nice. I went with the VX-5HD. Couldn’t ask for any better performance from a scope. The windplex reticle is what I decided on and really like it. The CDS dial is a no brainer so I just deal with wind now. The windplex helps with the hold adjustment. The clarity of the glass is what’s so impressive. I hunted late Oct in CO last year (full moon) and I could see well after legal shooting light. Granted the moon helped but we had heavy cloud cover from snow and this lens just flat out performed. If you can afford the 5HD get it you won’t look back. I put this on a Tikka T3 300WM and get sub 1/2”MOA.

That's pretty awesome. VX-5HD is closer to the top end of what I want to spend but I also am of the philosophy buy once cry once

Also, thanks!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back