Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Leupold vs Zeiss, meopta, other euro scopes.

Don Taylor

I grew up like most kids using hand me down redfeild and weaver scopes and in my early adult life couldnt afford high dollar glass, when I could I bought Leupolds and I now own several from the vx 1 series to the vx 3 s. I have two pair of swarovski binos and have been contemplating a euro scope. I have been looking at the zeiss conquest series of scopes and wonder what everyones thought here is. I just bought a weatherby backcountry rifle in 300wby and put a vx 3 3.5-10x40 on it but am looking at other glass also. I am not going to spend 2500.00 on a scope but just wonder do I stay with leupolds or is there somthing in a compatable price range thats better. I just hate the idea of spending 900.00 on a scope cause it was made in austria and find out the goldenrings are better. whats your thoughts?

I like the Leupold scopes better than the Zeiss Conquest because of the warrenty and because I have been pretty hard on scopes in the past and I have never lost zero on a Leupold scope.

CABugle

I have both. The Zeiss and Leupold scopes. I like them both but lean to the Leupold. You should go to a store and look with your own eyes at each one and see what is best for YOU.

scopes

I have both and they are both good. My Lepolds are all 4X and the Ziess is a 3x10.

I think the Ziess is a bit brighter but that may be because of the magnification. Go to the store and look through both and deceide. You can't go wrong with either choice

I have had 3 different Zeiss scopes and have been very pleased with all of them. My 3-9x50 is my favorite and it didn't break the bank to get it. Very clear glass. Personally have never had the Leupolds but have heard nothing but great things about them as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either, just what is your personal preference.

I have a Leupold Vari X2 3x9x40, I was very disappointed after having work done to my Remington 700, lightened trigger, muzzle brake, scope rezeroed the whole bit. Took the 700 out and it would hit paper but would not adjust. After 3 rounds it wouldn't even hit paper. Mind you this is 1 month before going on a hunt to unit 21 in CO. Very disappointed to say the least. Took out my, as Moosie would say, my trailer park special 30-06, went to Sportsman's Warehouse and looked at quite a few scopes and have thought long and hard about a Zeiss Conquest myself. Just have to be willing to make a change and take the plunge.

Thanks for the comments guys. I have looked through the conquest and vx 3 at a store, could not see any noticable difference in clarity. I dont think you can see any difference in the higher end stuff in the store, you need to take it to the field to get a real feel for the scope and in some low light. I love my leupolds and have no complaints in performance but just like different women, ya just wonder if your missing something. As a side note I couldnt talk myself into the zeiss, just ordered a vx 3 4.5-14x40 b&c reticle in gunmetal gray. It is going to look sick on my stainless fluted weatherby.

I am looking at the same thing- just received my 260 rem. and am looking to outfit it with a quality scope. Unless there are some deals out there, I might have to lie about the last $200 or so to my wife. "Yes dear, the scope was only $250." And the Zeiss conquest with the rapid z reticle makes me feel like a sniper- oh yes... I will hit anything with a scope like that. :rolleyes:

Leupolds get my nod if the price is similar. Never got a run around, just quick service, unlike the other brand I own. And, I live 20 minutes from the factory, which means I don't have to depend on the mail if I need a fast fix.

Heartofhunter, I think you made a good choice. In my case I went the other way. I was looking for a scope for a new Winchester 7mm-08 last year and looked thru both, a Conquest and a Leupold. The Conquest to my eyes was considerably brighter and I liked the reticle a little better. Leupolds have been the only scope my rifles have worn since the 1960's, but this rifle now has a Conquest. Time will tell.

I've converted all my buddies from Leupold to Zeiss. Low light ability and the fixed eye relief of the Zeiss made it easy for them to change brands.

I have Leupolds on quite a few rifles and like them really well. Never had but one fail and that was my own fault....didn't have time to get new scope and mount before first DG hunt so took a Leupold off a rifle and mounted on Ruger .416Rigby....worked fine for a couple of years but it was not made for the rifle I put it own....lost verticle hold on my third trip with it which I discovered by wounding a fugging Lion....not a fun next two days to finish it! Now got a Swarovski PH on the .416. Great scope but they do not give them away!! I am lucky enuff to have a friend who is a dealer and found me one that "they" considered used----it was on display at Reno and SHOT Show....

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back