Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Leupold scopes love or hate em?

Most of my rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders wear Leupolds. One other has a vortex, two have Nikons. I have one Leupold with a super hard to turn magnification ring but thats it. No failures, no problems in over 25 years. I don’t dial. Otherwise, I don’t believe anything has ever not hit the freezer once it was in my Leupold and I pulled the trigger, with longest shots in the 400s.

Only have one rifle without a leupold out of the lot. All are very good shooters never doubted them after a hunt being beat around in truck or on a horse. Have also used them to shoot nrl hunter matches and competed well. Have ran into an issue with one but was well taken care of. Called letting them know my issue and I had a tag a month out. They fixed the scope and had it back in time to get sighted in and be ready for hunt.

Ever hear of a Leupold Hunter in 3-9? Acquired it when I bought a 1982 Remington 7600 on Gunbroker 3 months ago.
Sure have. They used to have the Hunter line right below the VX-I. Sold a lot of them that got mounted on a Marlin 336, Rem 7400, or Rem 7600 when I worked at Gander Mountain in college. They existed up until at least around 2000. Not sure when they phased out.

I have probably 25 Leopold scopes, a couple are 40 years old too. Zero issues with any of them. I don't use turrets and rarely shoot past 400 yards. I have a couple CDS but don't really play with them much past 500 at the range, and have only used them a few times hunting, shooting past 300 yards. They work as well as I can shoot them. I'm not a target shooter so never really played around with tracking. I set it and forget it.

I don't put a lot of thought into a rifle scope. For the 2 seconds it gets used on a hunt, it just needs to be reliable. If its too "dim" to see its too dark to shoot. I've never looked through a scope and thought, many that image isn't very clear, I shouldn't take that shot. Half the time the scope is full of snow, rain or half fogged up anyway. I've passed plenty of shots that were too far for my comfort, no amount of dials would have made me think differently. I don't care that much. I have no ragrets.

Used to be all Leupold but after my 4th one in about 5yrs died I've started switching to other brands. Now all I have left is a couple on sentimental rifles or ones that need the old gloss look. My working rifles have other brands. I know some folks never have issue and leupold did fix all mine but with that many issues I cant trust them when a big hunt is on the line.

I have a VX3 3.5-10 on a Remington 700 .308 and I've had good results with it. I'm usually shooting out to 300 or so with that particular rifle. The glass on mine is pretty clear. I would like to get a VX3 or freedom for my son's Ruger .243. I currently own a Nightforce SHV on a 7mm Rem Mag Seekins and it is a very nice scope and it tracks great. I have had no bad experience with Leupold or Nightforce so far. Just preference and how much you want to spend.

I have several Leupolds, some with the CDS, they have always worked when I needed them. Did have one in which the ocular lens came loose, it was fixed in a timely manor and has been fine since. I have some other brands and they have been good too.

I have had good luck with them. Been hunting with them for 25 years. I am an eastern deer hunter. Mostly I have stuck to the VX3 variants starting with Vari x iii.
I dont dial and I’m not too rough on them.
Thinking about a VX5 HD next if I live long enough to need an upgrade. I read alot of problems and issues but until I have them I will keep killing deer with mine.

Leupold riflescopes are generally well-regarded for their quality and performance. They are known for their durability, clarity, and reliability, which are important factors for many shooters. While there are other optics manufacturers with different pricing and features, Leupold scopes are considered to offer good value for the quality they provide.

Leupolds are great if you like to check and adjust your zero. I have 8 of them I think. I will back my trash talk up with a challenge. I will set up a 12 inch target at 400 yards. We will “tip” our guns off bipods at progressively higher heights. I will use my 6 creed with my nightforce. Whoever else can use wtf ever they want with a leupold. First one to miss will get kicked in the nuts. Better wear your cup
This is a good way to put it. I think I’d have some sore plums at the end of this challenge with any one of my Leupys

Leupold riflescopes are generally well-regarded for their quality and performance. They are known for their durability, clarity, and reliability, which are important factors for many shooters. While there are other optics manufacturers with different pricing and features, Leupold scopes are considered to offer good value for the quality they provide.
Oh boy. mtmuley

Can't see myself buying any other brand besides Leupold. I've owned two Vortex products in my life and was happy to get rid of them. Also I've never used promo code Randy for anything but OnX so that's not a factor in my appreciation of Leupold.

Most of my rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders wear Leupolds. One other has a vortex, two have Nikons. I have one Leupold with a super hard to turn magnification ring but thats it. No failures, no problems in over 25 years. I don’t dial. Otherwise, I don’t believe anything has ever not hit the freezer once it was in my Leupold and I pulled the trigger, with longest shots in the 400s.

If you have used them how far are your average shots.

Just curious as if you go to rokslide they are the worst scope you can own and talk about some stupid threads over there.

So, how about we don't turn this one into a bunch of idiots bashing each other over each person's equipment choice. Just simply state your experience and move on.

For me personally I've used a lot of them over the years and have always felt confident in them. Most of my shots hunting are inside of 300 yards. I occasionally stretch it to 400 or a touch over but that's about my max on game.
I have Leupolds on all of my center fire rifles, a Nikon on my .17 and a cheap Tasco or two on .22s and they all do what they’re supposed to do. I grew up shooting Leupolds in the late 70’s and never felt the need to look elsewhere. Most are VX 2 and VX 3 and never had an issue. My shots are 400 and under—one has an elevation knob. Most are 40mm bells but I have a few 50mm with sunshades on varmint rigs.

Planning to upgrade my VX2 4x12x40 with fine duplex with a VX5 on my elk rifle this year. I beat the shit out of this rig hunting the high country and it has never let me down.

Each manufacturer seems to make quality stuff just go with what you can afford and works best for you.

I liked the Leupold’s that I have owned. They were all high quality with good glass. I also like buying Made in USA when I can afford it and it’s a good product.

That said it’s been well known in competition circles that they don’t track well. I grew up shooting at a private range owned by a benchrest club and that’s what they said when I was a kid, that’s what guys shooting F-class said when I was in college, and it continues to get passed around. I don’t know if they’ve ever improved things and the reputation still sticks, or if they still don’t track. I never used my Leupolds to dial in the field so that part didn’t matter to me.

A guy on rockslide has shown that quite a few Leupolds will break from very minor drops.

I'm not real "into" scopes. Most of my life if my bullet hit where I held the cross hairs, I was OK with it. I don't generally shoot farther than about 350yds.

All that said, the old Leupold VX-1 and the newer VX Freedom (both simple, 3x9 duplex reticles) I've used on light weight back-country hunting rifles are very hard to beat for my purposes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back