Leupold Chinese spotters????

There’s still ~700 folks in Oregon employed by Leupold. Could it be better, sure. Could they outsource the bulk of those to the Philippines and increase their bottom line, almost definitely. No company is going to be perfect and you see what the prices are now, just imagine if you source even more of that here. They make a solid product (in my experience) and I will be picking up another one in a few weeks. If you want to make another good contribution go buy one from your local small business or hit up schmalts instead of saving a couple dollars at a big box store.

Meh, I like USA made as much as the next guy but my main priority when buying optics is if they're made, or assembled for that matter, by the people selling them. Meopta, Swaro, Leica, Zeiss' higher end stuff, Minox' higher end stuff, Schmidt and Bender, and Leupold get my attention first.

I will say the Japanese sure know how to make a rifle scope.

Last edited:
Meh, I like USA made as much as the next guy but my main priority when buying optics is if they're made, or assembled for that matter, by the people selling them. Meopta, Swaro, Leica, Zeiss' higher end stuff, Minox' higher end stuff, Schmidt and Bender, and Leupold get my attention first.

I will say the Japs sure know how to make a rifle scope.
History lesson. The reason Japan can make great optics is because in WW2 they were allies of the world's greatest optics manufacturer, Germany. Germany shared the manufacturers secrets with Japan to make military optics and the rest is History

I don't personally know anyone who has.

I'm going to add an Athlon scope and potentially a Maven spotter to the arsenal also. Will I have to send those in for warranty work because they also have full lifetime warranties?
No experience with either so I'm not sure, nothing to do with warranty.

Leupold warranty experience over last 20+ years.

Bino dust caps. (Recently)Me- I broke them from using the rubber things so much. How much for new ones? Them new ones in the mail no charge.

Binocular-(~10 years ago)damaged adjustable eye piece from dropping so much.. before bino buddies etc. Falling off dash. Me- I wrecked my binoculars from dropping them can you fix? Them-we will look and see what we can do.
Brand new pair 10days later. No charge!

Chinese parts or not the leupold company has my business as long as they keep making quality optics. I do prefer American 🇺🇸 made however I won’t spend double.. my 2c

I believe some Leupold models have use German optics in their scopes, namely Schott lenses, not sure if that is still the case? Schott have also provided their lenses to Zeiss
I highly doubt they are pressing blanks, grinding, polishing and coating the glass in them. Any proof they they claim the glass elements are made in the USA?

Did you know select Leupold spotters are made in China? I was always under the impression they only sold US made products. Apparently only gold rings are US made, does anyone here have a definitive answer on that?
I purchased a SX-4 PRO GUIDE HD 20-60×85
and was shocked to see a made in china sticker on the base. I also purchased two VX-6HD riflescopes last month, now I need to go check those also.
Interesting. View attachment 253211View attachment 253212
Brother, I bought an Athlon Talos 20-60x80. It set me back $130. I knew it was made in China and it’s been great so far over the past year.
I just googled your model and $999?! For freakin’ WHAT, Leupold? I’d say Leupold owes you about $700 refund.

Brother, I bought an Athlon Talos 20-60x80. It set me back $130. I knew it was made in China and it’s been great so far over the past year.
I just googled your model and $999?! For freakin’ WHAT, Leupold? I’d say Leupold owes you about $700 refund.
This will most likely be my last Leupold purchase.

Like a fool I bought a Vortex Viper spotter. I want a refund too. And I did when the f-ing thing was broken out of the box. But they sent another one. I feel ripped off. mtmuley

What do you run for optics?
@rjthehunter

Spotters: Nikon-Japan, Bushnell-Japan, Meopta
Binos: Zeiss, Leica, Swaro, Syrka-Japan

Range finder: Leica

Rifle Scopes on rifles: Leupold = (37), Bushnell-Japan = (6), Sightron-Japan = (5), Zeiss = (4), Nikon-Japan = (3), Swaro = (2), Trijicon-Japan = (1), Meopta = (1), Weaver-Japan = (1)

Camera Lenses: Canon-Japan, Sigma-Japan

As stated, all of the above do not have "MADE IN CHINA" anywhere. I purged all of my China optics years ago when I got really disappointed with several Big-V rifle scopes and a set of Big-V binos. I believe that Big-V's newer Razor line and above do not have China printed or stamped. These offerings might be very good?

As you can see from the my above list, I am a big Leupold fan but for rifle scopes only. It saddens me to say that there are better options to Leupold's binos and spotters. Even Leupold's "Better" Japan line can be had from other brands for less money. Styka, now de-funk, offered their S9 line that mirrored Leupold's Santiam offerings as an example.

I am not an optics snob but I buy mostly Leupold rifle scopes because they just flat work. I have never had a leupold rifle scope go bad. Leupold's customer service has been top notch when you want to change things, reticle or dials. For all other optic needs I look elsewhere as I feel that there are better options. But "Made in China" will never again be one of those options, at least for me anyway.

This will most likely be my last Leupold purchase.
Here’s a new company with manufacturing in Japan. Sells direct to consumer and trims price substantially. I want to get a hold of that 2.5-15 HD MOA scope.

Something tells me your $130 spotting scope is exactly that, regardless of brand.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back